The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Discussion Of Chapter 31 "The Commandment of Entry" and MLM Companies

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Dillon Carter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 5, 2014
I finally got around to reading the book again so I can finish it and reread it while more focused and taking notes. In chapter 31 MJ talks about Network Marketing (MLM) and the low barrier to entry. He also states in order to succeed in this low barrier to entry "business" you must be incredibly exceptional. I couldn't agree more. I have been exposed, a part of and slightly active within Network Marketing with my family. I always new there was something to those who excelled with the company financially. Simply put, they are exceptional. I know this sounds a very obvious but it is all coming together and I have yet to make my focused topic of discussion.

The best way to make a money within any network marketing company is to own said company. Maybe that is something held for my future but not top of my list. What has been plaguing my mind since the inception of the sheer size of most companies is.... How can I serve them? The Commandment of Need may lend to this answer but I am stuck on the idea.

Basically, I am interested in finding a way to help these millions of consumers (distributors) by producing some type of solution (my business) to their problems. What are your thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I think I'm not clear on exactly what your goal is. You want to create something to help MLMers build their down lines or something?

Please clarify.

MLMs are designed in such a way that you get out of them exactly what you put in. Work your a$$ off, make lots of sales, you gain a big down line and earn decent money. Sit on your a$$ and invite broke friends to "parties", you earn very little or lose money.

Unless you're offering to grow their "business" for them, you can't really serve them - can you?

Dillon Carter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 5, 2014
I don't want to think directly about their business but what opportunities are there for this group. Obviously the biggest would be to build their businesses for them but that's not going to happen lol. Could there be something else related to what is required of them that someone could help with.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I don't want to think directly about their business but what opportunities are there for this group. Obviously the biggest would be to build their businesses for them but that's not going to happen lol. Could there be something else related to what is required of them that someone could help with.
People are already doing this, they sell them CD's and training - unfortunately, the MLM is milking them all in every direction already.

Dillon Carter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 5, 2014
Good point :(

My goal wouldn't be to milk them further but hopefully find a real solution to a problem they have. Perhaps just wishful thinking but something worth thinking about for a night lol.

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Good point :(

My goal wouldn't be to milk them further but hopefully find a real solution to a problem they have. Perhaps just wishful thinking but something worth thinking about for a night lol.
Unfortunately with the way MLM's are structured you'll struggle to find a way to make it profitable for them. They're inherently flawed; you could potentially take more money off them, but the odds of you turning them into successes via MLM are slim to none, so it will be hard to provide true value. Sorry to break it to you buddy!

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I could see someone teaching sales/copywriting/basic business skills with an MLM slant - just like there are courses focused on affiliate marketers or bloggers. A lot of people going into MLM don't have much business knowledge at all - they get overwhelmed/get nowhere trying to get friends and family to buy, and give up.

You could teach them to host effective 'parties', making good conversion funnels (whether they can sell through their own site or just end up on their company site), how to sell to people without annoying them, persuasion, staying motivated when times are tough... I see an opportunity there.

They get milked by these companies, but, tbh, with how much I see some people pay, I can easily see them shelling out money to learn what they need to to actually make a profit.

I haven't done any market research on it, though.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I did a survey for that niche a while ago and here's what I can tell you...

98% of the MLM people fail
Most of them can't recruit more than 2-4 people a month
Most of them dream about recruiting 20-30 people a month
Most of them hate cold calling, doing hotel meetings, home meetings and begging friends or family

(Hint: I just gave you their desired end results and their pain) ;)

It's an evergreen "market" IMO ...

... MLM business won't disappear in the years to come.

Codo3500 said "unfortunately people/mlm company are already milking them".

I agree but keep in mind that these people will do anything to make it happen.

They are sold on the dream and they keep buying the next shiny object. (I see people jumping from one MLM company to another)

There is way enough room for you to enter that market and give them solid
content.

Here's what I would do if I was you.

FREE DVD/CD plus S&H:-(interview someone who's recruiting 20-30 people a month) ---> I can do your interview. I once recruited over 70 people in one month without pushing the offer much...
-With this front end you are going to acquire "active" and "buyers" from the market. (they are worth a lot on the backend)

UPSELL#1:
-I would do a "paid webinar" about a case study or a training site giving more details about how the guy did it in the interview (step by step process)

$47-$197 (price range)

UPSELL#2:
-Since now you are positioned as an authority as a MLM "pro"... I would pitch them into an online MLM business (that you joined).

UPSELL#3:
-Once they join you, I would sell them traffic - private coaching - tools etc

I would build something like this and I would just try to acquire as many customer as possible and monetize it on the backend.

Cheers

:)

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
@Laverdure you make some really good points. Morally it doesn't sit great with me to be pushing to these people. But I suppose if you look at it from the "Well, they're sold on the dream anyway, may aswell help them achieve that the best way possible", then I see no harm in it. And you're dead right, some of these people are borderline religious about their MLM, which does make them a prime target.

sambreaker20

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 4, 2011
Most of the time the people are so sold to the leaders that thy won't listen to someone whose not in the same company. Example: I used to be in Amway and would never even think about taking advice from someone in Visalus, Herbalife no matter how helpful the advice was lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I did a survey for that niche a while ago and here's what I can tell you...

98% of the MLM people fail
Most of them can't recruit more than 2-4 people a month
Most of them dream about recruiting 20-30 people a month
Most of them hate cold calling, doing hotel meetings, home meetings and begging friends or family

(Hint: I just gave you their desired end results and their pain) ;)

It's an evergreen "market" IMO ...

... MLM business won't disappear in the years to come.

Codo3500 said "unfortunately people/mlm company are already milking them".

I agree but keep in mind that these people will do anything to make it happen.

They are sold on the dream and they keep buying the next shiny object. (I see people jumping from one MLM company to another)

There is way enough room for you to enter that market and give them solid
content.

FREE DVD/CD plus S&H:-(interview someone who's recruiting 20-30 people a month) ---> I can do your interview. I once recruited over 70 people in one month without pushing the offer much...
-With this front end you are going to acquire "active" and "buyers" from the market. (they are worth a lot on the backend)

UPSELL#1:
-I would do a "paid webinar" about a case study or a training site giving more details about how the guy did it in the interview (step by step process)

$47-$197 (price range)

UPSELL#2:
-Since now you are positioned as an authority as a MLM "pro"... I would pitch them into an online MLM business (that you joined).

UPSELL#3:

I would build something like this and I would just try to acquire as many customer as possible and monetize it on the backend.

Cheers

:)

This is the basic model of guys like Mike Dillard, Jonathan Budd and many others. You know what? They can't really boast any higher success rates. Could you make money from a business like this? Sure you could but no thank you. I couldn't promote and make money from the guillableness of MLM dreamers. To me you'd only be in it for the potential of easy money.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
To me you'd only be in it for the potential of easy money.

"Easy" money because we have more experience, we learned a bunch of stuff and took a bunch of actions while failing most of the time.

I think the success rate is "low" in this type of "biz opp" because they sell a dream, they sell a type of "join us and in 60 days you will quit your job"...

...then most people don't feel like working their a$$ off because they think it will be easy.

In my experience, most MLM people are lazy and they do nothing.

Dillon Carter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 5, 2014
Sorry it took so long for my reply, for some reason the Alert and Notification system isn't working like it should be.

@Laverdure - Your initial post containing your market research is incredibly helpful and has helped me make a mental shift as to the kind of product I could create. I could easily begin interviewing successful network marketers for the content, find the actionable stuff and package it up nicely for people to consume. After all, most people in network marketing are consumers, NOT producers.

I remember how big Mike Dillard was when he first came out, hell, he still is quite well known and he did exactly the kind of thing we are talking about.

Now, I am a big fan of validating ideas within a given time frame; I need to create my hypothesis (Any other geeks out there?) and begin testing. Any ideas or advice on how you would validate an informational product teaching someone in any MLM company to sign up 5-6 new people each month?

Here is what comes to mind: Create a landing page with a video, part of the interview where the successful network marketer is talking about going from where the viewer is to consistently add 5-6 new people each month. Once the viewer is intrigued and wants to know more, they can then sign up through email to receive the full interview. Then, upsell numer 1 is a paid video course where the person being interviewed shared actionable tips on how they consistently signup that many people each month....... Thoughts?

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
UPSELL#1:
$47-$197 (price range)
UPSELL#2:
UPSELL#3:
Cheers

I wrote it down here

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.