The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Describe what being a "Millionaire" feels like.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol makes sense. I had a buddy who said he was a millionaire because he did 100k in consulting a year and claimed a 10x multiplier. Obviously overstated for him - but always wondered for myself what my business asset was worth considering our profits.

I'd use 2.5X to be conservative. But if you sell, you give up 10% to broker commissions and 20% to taxes, so if you sold a biz for $1m, you'd get $700k. Not even close to being a millionaire.

But it really doesn't matter does it. Your buddy making $100k is far far away from being a millionaire, which is why he cares about the number.

If you are making $250k a year, you will become a millionaire in 4-5 years easily assuming your business grows a little each year and you don't spend all of your money. At that point your goals are to be worth $5M, not $1M so you don't even really calculate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
451%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
King156 is dedicationforex on instagram and runs a secon page called thefinanceking. If you want anything on this kid, give me a shout ;) some 20year old kid named Alex who thinks he worked at Goldman Sachs LOL but is a bedroom trader lol

What do you know about him?

My friend went to meet dedicationforex in London and told me he is the real deal. His real name is Alex James and he talks to him on Skype regularly. Has an office (and I believe apartment) in Kensington and a large house in Surrey. He's not twenty either, he said in his thirties. I've not met him but everything I've seen suggests he is real.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
King156 is dedicationforex on instagram and runs a secon page called thefinanceking. If you want anything on this kid, give me a shout ;) some 20year old kid named Alex who thinks he worked at Goldman Sachs LOL but is a bedroom trader lol

I don't care what, where, or who he is. He represented himself as a money-chasing douchebag who's "faking it until he makes it" -- which is pretty much every Instagram hack with a feed of photos of themselves standing in front of a financed 10 year old Gallardo.

Would you be considered a millionaire to have a business asset that profits north of $250K/Year and no debts or liabilities? Assuming a multiplier of 5?

Conservative would be 2X ... as @biophase said, after taxes and broker commissions. Whenever I valuate my business interests, I use 2X. However that would change if your business has a moat, or something unique and tangible that isn't easily replicated.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Thanks @MJ DeMarco & @biophase for your insights.

To answer the actual question - ALTHOUGH I am not a millionaire. I did experience a good 6 months before I really grew the business where I had 99% passive income, my profits far exceeded my expenses and I had barely any time commitments so I took it easy for about a month.

It's pure bliss (for a while) to be able to sleep in to any hour and still make money - my favourite thing was going to movies during the daytime and having an empty theatre.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd use 2.5X to be conservative. But if you sell, you give up 10% to broker commissions and 20% to taxes, so if you sold a biz for $1m, you'd get $700k. Not even close to being a millionaire.

But it really doesn't matter does it. Your buddy making $100k is far far away from being a millionaire, which is why he cares about the number.

If you are making $250k a year, you will become a millionaire in 4-5 years easily assuming your business grows a little each year and you don't spend all of your money. At that point your goals are to be worth $5M, not $1M so you don't even really calculate it.

Damn, brokers get 10%? How hard is their job?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Damn, brokers get 10%? How hard is their job?

Anyone can do it. I do. It's not what I know that counts - it's who is on my speed dial.

I can do a deal in a very short time and make you a lot of money. Am I worth $30,000 for doing that? No. But if I "find" you an extra $60,000, you would probably want to do business with me. Many here wouldn't though - we have big rollers here. I'm a peon and I deal with peons... LOL.

Good brokers don't cost money - they pull their weight and make you money. Right now I am building a portfolio of clients that will buy something that I recommend. I know what they want, and if I find it, they'll buy it.

I had lunch today with a contact I work with who clears a million a year. You'd never know it. She's one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. How does she do it? She knows everyone, and everyone she knows loves her. She has the connections. I'm just super glad that I'm on her list too. I can make a deal happen just with one phone call to her. She will know someone to connect the dots, and then it's a done deal. I'll gladly pay her for her influence that opens doors for me. THAT'S how a good broker works.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Cool, thanks for your insight. It caught my attention because 10% on a business sale is pretty significant cash. It seems like being a broker for business sales could be a lot more lucrative than real estate or a similar commission based "connecting" job.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Being a millionaire is awesome, you can afford a broken house with a small lot. Goodbye to paying rent baby!

lol.JPG

For the people that don't know Vancouver that house is a few blocks from the beach so its ''prime location''

Great deal IMO

Wonder what the property taxes would be on that, any REI peeps here?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.