The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cycle of High Motivation and Laziness

Anything related to matters of the mind

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 8, 2022
Does anyone know what causes a cycle that goes like this?
1.High motivation period
2.Sudden low motivation period
3.Repeat

Pretty much extremes of motivation followed by extremes of laziness.

How do you get out of this?
How can I ensure sustainable motivation for long periods of time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Every time we reach a major goal or milestone, there are a number of hormones (e.g. prolactin) that get released to calm us down and become demotivated, or even slightly depressed.

For me personally the key is to stop "rewarding" myself psychologically after something good happens. I just do the work and execute the process. I try to derive all the pleasure from doing the work itself, thus reinforcing intrinsic motivation and internal locus of control.

The most successful people I know are highly addicted to executing the process. Their business is the most fun activity they can engage in. They're not looking at the results, they only focus on playing the game that they love.

And the results happen.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 8, 2022
Every time we reach a major goal or milestone, there are a number of hormones (e.g. prolactin) that get released to calm us down and become demotivated, or even slightly depressed.

For me personally the key is to stop "rewarding" myself psychologically after something good happens. I just do the work and execute the process. I try to derive all the pleasure from doing the work itself, thus reinforcing intrinsic motivation and internal locus of control.

The most successful people I know are highly addicted to executing the process. Their business is the most fun activity they can engage in. They're not looking at the results, they only focus on playing the game that they love.

And the results happen.
Thanks for the reply.

I relate because when I'm executing I feel great and purposeful but when I stop I feel lethargic.

I'll get back to the execution state asap and keep reinforcing my intrinsic motivation.

Also, I recently realized the low motivation might also be caused by a diet change. I upped my carbs lately and it seems that was a bit too much haha.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Do you have certain cues or triggers that cause the cycle to repeat itself?

I'd suggest finding what those triggers are. Then you can prepare around them(or become aware of them).

I imagine this is how the cycle begins for you.

You start off each cycle with high motivation. Then at a certain point, you feel like you should take a small break.

What you do during that break is the cue/trigger that causes you to hop into your low-motivation period.

Figure out what the trigger/cue is and do your preparation accordingly. It could be a series of actions as well.

For a period of time, this cycle occurred in my life. I'd have streaks of high motivation and drive, but then out of nowhere, I get slammed by a blanket of lethargy and lack of clarity. I'd have an endless amount of brain fog too.

If you break your routine down during those low days, you will see a pattern. The culprit always leads back to something you did earlier that day or the day before. You didn't sleep well. You ate too much-processed food. Your body is inflamed from your poor diet. You lost vision of your daily tasks/goals. You didn't exercise. You didn't do what you promise yourself. Etc...

Let's go back to what happens during a day of low motivation...

If you choose to go back to bad habits during the low phase(for me it's either watching shows or playing video games), you will repeat your cycle. You should know what your bad habits are and avoid them.

I need around 2 weeks to get back on my feet if I break my momentum so I'm very self-aware when those low days come by. Nowadays, I go hit the punching bags, revisit my goals, write, or just keep on working and ignore the desire to do something stimulating.

I notice that if I go through with the motion and keep plowing despite feeling like shit and sleep it off at night, then I always feel like a champion in the morning.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You still show up to class, work, and doctors appointments with high attendance usually.

Apply the same accountability towards the work you need to do. Something where if you don't do it, someone is calling you saying "um...where are you?

My home services business has recurring customers. We have to show up.

My employees show up to work, if the admin work isn't done they will be calling HQ saying "wtf where's the jobs"?

My franchise partners expect growth, if the company isn't growing I get a call saying "where's all the profits I'm supposed to be getting??!!!"I can't imagine a world where I'm not showing up to the work, but I get the luxury of doing fun work like working on systems and building a large corporation, not soul-sucking work that I hate.

Same goes for my workouts, I have to pickup my buddy at 730. I show up 100% of the time.

With that said, I like what I do, what else would I spend my time doing?? I still take time off when I want, but I don't have many problems getting the work done.

This is what setting goals is for.

You set a goal "I want to achieve X"

You evaluate where you are "I am here, X is there"

You make a plan "To get from here to X I must do Y and Z"

Your plan turns into a to-do list "To accomplish Y and then Z, I must do 1. 2. 3. today"

Repeat. Do not judge yourself for hiccups. Judging yourself is even more action faking. Unemotional... just get back to work, 0 moping around. There is a lot of upside hidden in doing the opposite of most people. "Get motivated, lose focus, mope around and feel guilt, etc." I used to F*ck off plenty, I didn't judge myself and got back to work.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Their business is the most fun activity they can engage in. They're not looking at the results, they only focus on playing the game that they love.

And the results happen.
Yes. This.

You still show up to class, work, and doctors appointments with high attendance usually.

Apply the same accountability towards the work you need to do. Something where if you don't do it, someone is calling you saying "um...where are you?

My employees show up to work, if the admin work isn't done they will be calling HQ saying "wtf where's the jobs"?

My franchise partners expect growth, if the company isn't growing I get a call saying "where's all the profits I'm supposed to be getting??!!!"I can't imagine a world where I'm not showing up to the work, but I get the luxury of doing fun work like working on systems and building a large corporation, not soul-sucking work that I hate.

Same goes for my workouts, I have to pickup my buddy at 730. I show up 100% of the time.

With that said, I like what I do, what else would I spend my time doing?? I still take time off when I want, but I don't have many problems getting the work done.

Your plan turns into a to-do list "To accomplish Y and then Z, I must do 1. 2. 3. today"

Repeat. Do not judge yourself for hiccups. Judging yourself is even more action faking. Unemotional... just get back to work, 0 moping around. There is a lot of upside hidden in doing the opposite of most people. "Get motivated, lose focus, mope around and feel guilt, etc." I used to F*ck off plenty, I didn't judge myself and got back to work.

I agree with this too.

When I'm in that low cycle, my appointments "force" me to show up. The fact that I have employees "forces" me to show up. Technically, no one forces me. My sense of duty forces me.

And I occasionally still screw off. Cut out a little earlier than maybe I should. Spend too much time on the forum in a day.

I don't beat myself up. I snap back into place and get to work.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
What you have described is normal for most human beings. It's a constant cycle of inspiration > action > demotivation > repeat.

This is why you see many people start podcasts, YT channels, Businesses etc. and they never go anywhere.

The initial burst of inspiration is a gift. It's a moment of clarity, But it WILL 100% fade.

Then you'll start to see people having success with other businesses, Jobs, Ventures etc. You get a moment of inspiration and the cycle starts over.

The key is what others have stated above, Making your self accountable.

Nobody cares if you don't work on your website
. Or if you didn't work on your product today. You have to hold your self accountable when the inspiration fades.

It's like when MJ talks about the "desert of desertion"

(MJ don't be mad at me for posting this old video haha)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJyUydc1NtA&ab_channel=MJDeMarco

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 8, 2022
Figure out what the trigger/cue is and do your preparation accordingly. It could be a series of actions as well.
You nailed it. It's a series of actions, a domino effect. I'll be more aware of the triggers from now on so I can interfere.

This is probably what I needed to hear.

The key is what others have stated above, Making your self accountable.
I can relate to your post. I have now learned that the cycle is a lot more common than I thought and self-accountability is one of the keys.

Now I got some clarity in what must be done going forward. Thank you everyone who participated in this thread.

Alexander Mish

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 3, 2023

Thank you for writing this and reminding about this system.
I found myself in this low state after i quit a job, and have been noticing the feeling of wrongness here and there, about what i should be doing, but do not do.
Your answer helped me to reach the solution to my problem. Thanks again.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
1.High motivation period
3.Repeat

There is a chance you have ADHD and thus are stimulated by novelty.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
1.High motivation period
3.Repeat

Trust the process even if it is slower than you expect.

If whatever we do we are receiving constant positive feedback and cash start to pouring in we will be 100 percent motivated for sure.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 20, 2023
1.High motivation period
3.Repeat

Fix your mornings and you should fix your problem.

Also make a routine that you will swear by.

Here are some videos that might help-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlXPiHArsDE

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!