The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency GPU mining

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What helium miners do you have?

I ordered a bobcat and it should arrive by the end of the month. My area is pretty sparse, and I'm in a good spot so I'm hoping it works out great.
I have RAK Goldspot's on the way. One is syncing now, I guess it takes several days. The other hopefully gets here soon. It has cleared customs in Toronto on the 15th.

My antenna are in Florida still at the shipping center according to the tracking number

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just built a 5900x CPU build and man nothing goes like it should.

I was recording this for youtube. Of course the BIOS flashing tool did not work because I selected the B550f Gaming bios and not the B550f Gaming wifi bios. Totally different bios... I guess some come without Wifi? Who knew. That took an hour to figure out! So because of that my gopro ran out of batteries, and when I swapped it I forgot to hit record so missed a ton of stuff that I was doing. And then for some reason when I tried to update my mining OS it locked up and needed a hard reset. Sometime through there my P4 ran out of batteries and stopped recording Audio... I have no idea what I do and don't have. It is past midnight, I am going to bed! I will edit this madness in the morning and see what I can salvage.

Miner is up and running diagnostics though so that is good. It should start mining to the pool in about 4 hours.

My Helium miner is also mining I think. The software is garbage with it, and the app barely loads, but when I check my miner on the explorer it says it has already synced and has earned like 0.1 HNT already. I can't wait for my proper antenna to show up.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
I have been reading and researching about building a eth mining rig. I also saw that soon with ETH2.0 that the pow system will no longer be used because they will switch to pos system. Is it still worth to still to build a mining rig with the new system coming in soon?

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
You should really get this up another notch. Big warehouse, with 4 mega watts of power, back up generators etc. go commercial with the mining! Make it into a scalable business?

I was looking at a warehouse like that just yesterday, and thought about your home set up.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
You should really get this up another notch. Big warehouse, with 4 mega watts of power, back up generators etc. go commercial with the mining! Make it into a scalable business?

I was looking at a warehouse like that just yesterday, and thought about your home set up.
this is a good idea and has been done before espiecally for btc but very very expensive, just the cooling alone will be expensive

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Expensive, sure. But would it be highly profitable?

Would it be consistent with CENTS framework?

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Expensive, sure. But would it be highly profitable?

Would it be consistent with CENTS frameworks
it can be if you have strong enough rigs and enough of them. I would say it applies to cents, high entry even for people just starting out, you control it as well. It sorta provides a need and you definitely don't have to spend time working everyday for scalability it can be if you have a bigger warehouse or bigger rigs.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

I do want to do this.

At the same time I don't really want to be in Canada anymore with these new government powers and their creation of two classes of citizens. I feel like it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Well I just went out and got a 3080, 3070ti and a 3060ti from a contact. These are really stacking up now. These are going to go on another b450f gaming ii motherboard that I am setting up. First up is to update the bios, and then see if I can get the m.2 to PCIe adapters to work.

I am really trying to find a cheap solution that lets me copy-and-paste these mining rigs to simplify and lower expenses on builds. I am hoping this board works because I can pick them up for $140-170 Canadian at any computer store. Ram is also cheap at about $40. Right now I am having difficulty sourcing cheap cpu's for this system, but I can get some ordered from China for roughly $150. However, they should be costing me no more than $100 locally if anyone ever had any stock.

For now I've been buying cheaper used AMD CPUs off of the local classifieds for roughly $150.

Not including power supplies or graphics cards, I can build out this system with the capability for 6 cards for about $350-400. If I figure out how to get these 2 extra cards working that only adds $12 in adapters. I'm building custom open air frames out of wood, so costs on that is very low.
40$ for ram? how much are you buying?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I do want to do this.

At the same time I don't really want to be in Canada anymore with these new government powers and their creation of two classes of citizens. I feel like it is going to get worse before it gets better.

We may disagree on whether Canada is dystopian or not, but maybe you are trying to do you “exit” at the wrong time? What if you did build an 8 or 9 figure business that did not require you to be here? How would your options look like?

Food for thought… The warehouse I was looking at was in Edmonton. I am sure there are plenty in other areas. It’s a legit option with a lot of risk/capital/effort required. :)

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
40$ for ram? how much are you buying?
For a GPU miner you just need a single stick of 4gb ram. Whatever is cheapest.

I guess some CPU mining needs better ram, but I have not figured all this out yet

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
For a GPU miner you just need a single stick of 4gb ram. Whatever is cheapest.

I guess some CPU mining needs better ram, but I have not figured all this out yet
ok, appreciate the response.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
We may disagree on whether Canada is dystopian or not, but maybe you are trying to do you “exit” at the wrong time? What if you did build an 8 or 9 figure business that did not require you to be here? How would your options look like?

Food for thought… The warehouse I was looking at was in Edmonton. I am sure there are plenty in other areas. It’s a legit option with a lot of risk/capital/effort required. :)
You are right, and the biggest hurdle for this is capital and finding someone with an appetite to invest. It is out there, just look at HUT8 out of medicine hat.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Is it better to buy the majority of parts used? mobo,ram,psu and cpus aren't to bad to buy new. But for gpu's here in America are sky high and impossible to get.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
You are right, and the biggest hurdle for this is capital and finding someone with an appetite to invest. It is out there, just look at HUT8 out of medicine hat.

I would invest… ;)

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Just checked my numbers and here is a more exact rundown of how I am doing on each algorithm:

Ethereum:
2,238 MH/s
7,139 watts (-$771)
= 1.55 Ethereum a month @ $4,300 CAD = $6,665
= Total minus electricity = $5,894

Raven:
1,388.5 MH/s
9,438 watts (-$1,019)
= 41,500 RVN per month @ $0.165 CAD = $6,847
= Total minus electricity = $5,828

Total net income per month at todays prices = $11,722
is raven still profitable?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Yes raven is profitable. Every LHR card I get goes on Raven for now. The halving is in January as well, so as long as the crypto bubble doesn't pop before that time I expect great things.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

I thought I would give this some more attention. I don't want to permanently leave. My wife is Mexican, and we are getting Mexican citizenship for our children, and then me after.

I plan on growing this to infinity, and not having a home country. The older I get, the less I like calling myself a Canadian, that is just the simple fact of it. However, my family is here, and the summers here are unreal. So are the business opportunities. I am going to grow what I can in Canada, and use it as such. Just because it is some dirt that I was born on mean that I owe it anything if they want to start going batty with the government powers.

Leaving for now forces me how to figure this out as well. Who says I can't grow it remotely, or from a different country? These are all things I need to figure out. Packing a warehouse full of mining gear is kind of an intermediate step. The real big players all have land and unconventional power abilities. That is what I eventually need to get.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Yes raven is profitable. Every LHR card I get goes on Raven for now. The halving is in January as well, so as long as the crypto bubble doesn't pop before that time I expect great things.
thanks for the response

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Thought about FPGA CVP13?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Thought about FPGA CVP13?
I don't even know what that is! Those just look like letters and numbers to me.

My 2 helium miners to try out showed up. I am waiting on the larger antenna for them, hope they get here soon. So far 1 has a bit of earnings, it has only been on since this morning, and my other one has been on for 3 days. The first day it earned $12, and it has had 0 witnesses in over 24 hours and is doing nothing now. I have no idea what is going on. It is not like GPU mining where I can troubleshoot and figure out what is going on. There is nothing I can even do with this thing.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
I've been browsing the helium network subreddit in anticipation of my miner arriving later this month (possibly delayed because of the road situation here in BC) and I'm reading that there's a lot of "choppiness" in the network right now, for various reasons. They had a drop of miners last week and I assume those thousands of people are all coming online too, so that probably doesn't help things.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My first helium miner has been synched for like 4-5 days now. The first day it made 0.1 HNT, and then literally 0 until this morning. I thought maybe it was broken or something, but this morning it started to do some transactions.

My second miner has been synched for maybe a day and a half and has already earned 0.7 HNT. That is mental. Even at scalped prices this thing is blowing my GPU miners out of the water. I hope this keeps up, and I am super excited for my 6db antenna's to show up.

Helium seems really fun so far, but it is FRUSTRATING! There is literally nothing I can do other than ignore it and hope it starts working if something is wrong. At least with GPU mining I can pull logs, and work on hardware, and actually diagnose the issues and solve them. These helium miners there is nothing I can do.

Even saying that I think I want some more of these. This is so early in the life of Helium, and the hardware is just ballooning in popularity. There is no doubt in my mind that eventually every bit of populated surface is going to be covered with their signal. If hardware were easier to get it would be interesting to work out deals with landlords of large buildings and commercial plazas and put one on every rooftop... A cool line of thought I should probably start to consider. Mexico would be an interesting place to do this, they have so few Helium miners compared to the rest of North America.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
So this is why I cant get a graphics card haha

It would be convenient if you lived next to a river so you could use a water turbine

Also, any tips for getting started on this? I imagine the margins are pretty bad, but it seems fun if one has GPUs lying around

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
My first helium miner has been synched for like 4-5 days now. The first day it made 0.1 HNT, and then literally 0 until this morning. I thought maybe it was broken or something, but this morning it started to do some transactions.

My second miner has been synched for maybe a day and a half and has already earned 0.7 HNT. That is mental. Even at scalped prices this thing is blowing my GPU miners out of the water. I hope this keeps up, and I am super excited for my 6db antenna's to show up.

Helium seems really fun so far, but it is FRUSTRATING! There is literally nothing I can do other than ignore it and hope it starts working if something is wrong. At least with GPU mining I can pull logs, and work on hardware, and actually diagnose the issues and solve them. These helium miners there is nothing I can do.

Even saying that I think I want some more of these. This is so early in the life of Helium, and the hardware is just ballooning in popularity. There is no doubt in my mind that eventually every bit of populated surface is going to be covered with their signal. If hardware were easier to get it would be interesting to work out deals with landlords of large buildings and commercial plazas and put one on every rooftop... A cool line of thought I should probably start to consider. Mexico would be an interesting place to do this, they have so few Helium miners compared to the rest of North America.
GAH I really want my miner to show up now.

I'm also super hyped for Helium, they definitely have first mover advantage in their space.

Have you thought of getting other coin specific miners, like for Kadena? Less versatile than making your own miners but WAY more accessible. Frankly I'm surprised there aren't more of these things for more coins.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Screenshot_20211201-113105_YT Studio.jpg
I love it

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
Really nice work and excited for you. My first rig had a lot of hiccups and mistakes haha so much troubleshooting involved, which is good because "entry".

Solar would be amazing, but it's hard to get your hands on. Definitely trying to get my rigs on solar but a lot of paperwork etc., so still working on that.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
How's your Helium mining going?

My Bobcat arrived today! I'm pretty busy though until the weekend so I have to wait until then to start setting it up.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
How's your Helium mining going?

My Bobcat arrived today! I'm pretty busy though until the weekend so I have to wait until then to start setting it up.
I just got a 6db antenna on my RAK Goldspot this evening, so I will take a few days to see what happens. I am at 2.3 HNT mined so far. Sadly someone is syncing another helium miner in one of my Hex's so my rewards might drop for that one. I have a 6db antenna for that one as well.

I just posted a mammoth video to youtube that outlines all of my current gear, except for the Helium miners. I want to outline all of my rigs and their settings going forward for some content.

Total mining farm outline

I was doing some brainstorming the last few days, and I think I found a better way to approach money. I am now an IT and computer services company. I am going to start ordering parts from direct vendors in bulk, and use some of those to build mining rigs for others at insane inflated prices, and use that cash to build my own rigs and pay down loans. Banks won't touch crypto, but I am thinking they are more lenient towards vendors and PC builders. Anyways, fleshing out this route shouldn't hurt anything. I have a lot of paperwork to figure out regarding becoming a purchaser from these guys. Lots of regulations around importing and recycling and such for electronics. Love that Red tape...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.