The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Credit card for a minor

JeroenvGessel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 9, 2019
I have a problem, I am 16 years old and an entrepeneur from the Netherlands. For a lot operations in my business I work with companies that only accept credit card payments. But because I'am under-age, I am unable to get a credit card on my name. I have been using my dad's credit card, however this is far from ideal. I hope anyone has some advice for me. I have asked several dutch banks for credit cards, however none of them was willing to help me because of my age.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I have a problem, I am 16 years old and an entrepeneur from the Netherlands. For a lot operations in my business I work with companies that only accept credit card payments. But because I'am under-age, I am unable to get a credit card on my name. I have been using my dad's credit card, however this is far from ideal. I hope anyone has some advice for me. I have asked several dutch banks for credit cards, however none of them was willing to help me because of my age.

There are some banks in Europe that issue MasterCard and Visa debit cards if you open an account with them. For example N26. You can use these debit cards in a similar way as a credit card. You wont be able to spend more than the money on the account. I'm not sure if they accept minors, but you could ask you parents to open an account for you there.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
Try a debit card! I’m sure you can get one of those.

Interestingly enough Dutch banks don't issue MasterCard or Visa debit cards. But other banks in Europe do, and accounts can be opened online.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Personally I'm happy with my N26 account / card. It works like a regular bank account, and you get a MasterCard debit card delivered to your house.

I believe being 16 is enough to open a personal account, although you might need your parents' approval for it during the process, I don't remember. Anyway, once you have opened your account, you will have full control over it.

There are other similar online banks that operate in Europe.

JeroenvGessel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 9, 2019
I have 14 years old daughter and I'm always transfering on her card 50$. Because much money at this age is not ok.
That would work great indeed, however you're overlooking the fact that I do make a lot more than that myself everyday. So it must also be a credit card that has a higher limit.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I have 14 years old daughter and I'm always transfering on her card 50$. Because much money at this age is not ok.

The difference is, the OP is making his/her own money where as YOU are GIVING your daughter money. HUGE difference. My grandson has been handling his own money since he was about 9 years old. He has no problem saving and he has no problem spending if he needs to. Not just minors but adults also need to learn to do both and it sounds as though the OP has learned to handle money. My grandson is 17 now and since he has been handling money for so many years, it comes natural to him. And to think, he started out with just $5 that he earned working for me.

JeroenvGessle, you sound as though you have a great head on your shoulders and if you continue doing this well, you will be very successful. I hope your person life goes as well for you. Good luck with both and congratulations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.