The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Credit card for a minor

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

JeroenvGessel

New Contributor
Oct 9, 2019
I have a problem, I am 16 years old and an entrepeneur from the Netherlands. For a lot operations in my business I work with companies that only accept credit card payments. But because I'am under-age, I am unable to get a credit card on my name. I have been using my dad's credit card, however this is far from ideal. I hope anyone has some advice for me. I have asked several dutch banks for credit cards, however none of them was willing to help me because of my age.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I have a problem, I am 16 years old and an entrepeneur from the Netherlands. For a lot operations in my business I work with companies that only accept credit card payments. But because I'am under-age, I am unable to get a credit card on my name. I have been using my dad's credit card, however this is far from ideal. I hope anyone has some advice for me. I have asked several dutch banks for credit cards, however none of them was willing to help me because of my age.

There are some banks in Europe that issue MasterCard and Visa debit cards if you open an account with them. For example N26. You can use these debit cards in a similar way as a credit card. You wont be able to spend more than the money on the account. I'm not sure if they accept minors, but you could ask you parents to open an account for you there.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
Try a debit card! I’m sure you can get one of those.

Interestingly enough Dutch banks don't issue MasterCard or Visa debit cards. But other banks in Europe do, and accounts can be opened online.

Madame Peccato

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Personally I'm happy with my N26 account / card. It works like a regular bank account, and you get a MasterCard debit card delivered to your house.

I believe being 16 is enough to open a personal account, although you might need your parents' approval for it during the process, I don't remember. Anyway, once you have opened your account, you will have full control over it.

There are other similar online banks that operate in Europe.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I have 14 years old daughter and I'm always transfering on her card 50$. Because much money at this age is not ok.

The difference is, the OP is making his/her own money where as YOU are GIVING your daughter money. HUGE difference. My grandson has been handling his own money since he was about 9 years old. He has no problem saving and he has no problem spending if he needs to. Not just minors but adults also need to learn to do both and it sounds as though the OP has learned to handle money. My grandson is 17 now and since he has been handling money for so many years, it comes natural to him. And to think, he started out with just $5 that he earned working for me.

JeroenvGessle, you sound as though you have a great head on your shoulders and if you continue doing this well, you will be very successful. I hope your person life goes as well for you. Good luck with both and congratulations.

SammyFLS

PARKED
Jan 16, 2021
Wow, at the age of 16 to have your own business? I'm delighted!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers