The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Couple of questions

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Couple of questions that I'm researching today.

I am looking to find some stats on how many people book a vacation rental online. Any thoughts on where to find this number?

And as a more general question: How have you gotten people to join your start up company?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I would try Wikipedia. They're usually pretty reliable, and even if they don't give you the exact answer, sometimes they provide links that hold the answer.

What do you mean by your second question? Are you talking about investors or employees?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'll check into Wikipedia.

As for getting others to join a start up- I mean, let's say I develop a website that connects business and customers. How do I convince businesses to join us when we have no track record? Fore example, how did ebay catch on, hotels.com, or craig's list or any large scale site that depends on mass amounts of users catch on?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Ah, good question...I've actually wondered that myself on several occassions.

I've come up with a few answers. One of them is to offer an incentive to get them to come aboard in the beginning. Another would be to just keep searching until you find people who are willing to take the chance and join you. In most cases, if it's something like that, they really aren't risking that much.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Here is one link I found, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/shattuck/5204209.html. In the article, they referenced a project called National Leisure Travel Monitor. It might be able to provide more information for you.

As for getting businesses to join you when you do not have the track record yet, do you have any personal relationships with the businesses? Do you have a target niche that they want to tap into or have not yet tapped into?

For example, my husband worked in the music industry for a number of years and established many relationships. When we started our internet business, he relied on those prior relationships to get us going. He wanted to get bigger names for the website but we did not have the numbers they wanted. He was able to negotiate a different strategy where we would sell their imperfect items, where those would have been previously discarded. The imperfections do not affect the quality of the product but it ended up being a win/win for us. We get to carry the bigger names and they get to profit from products that would have been thrown away.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
You might be able to get data like that from a certain website.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
As far as how to get your people to your website and give it a try...people will give it a try as long as they see value in your site. Just make your site look respectable and have the proper secruity to protect personal informatin. The upcoming generations want value and information, they will give you a try if you give them that.

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
You might be able to get data like that from a certain website.

Homeaway.com owns VRBO and I don't think they are public, but they could very well have some information for you in press releases etc. Homeaway bought up a lot of vacation rental sites in the past few years..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.