• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by yveskleinsky, Dec 29, 2007.

1. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,718
    Couple of questions that I'm researching today.

I am looking to find some stats on how many people book a vacation rental online. Any thoughts on where to find this number?

And as a more general question: How have you gotten people to join your start up company?

2. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $188
    I would try Wikipedia. They're usually pretty reliable, and even if they don't give you the exact answer, sometimes they provide links that hold the answer.

What do you mean by your second question? Are you talking about investors or employees?

3. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,718
    I'll check into Wikipedia.

As for getting others to join a start up- I mean, let's say I develop a website that connects business and customers. How do I convince businesses to join us when we have no track record? Fore example, how did ebay catch on, hotels.com, or craig's list or any large scale site that depends on mass amounts of users catch on?

4. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $188
    Ah, good question...I've actually wondered that myself on several occassions.

I've come up with a few answers. One of them is to offer an incentive to get them to come aboard in the beginning. Another would be to just keep searching until you find people who are willing to take the chance and join you. In most cases, if it's something like that, they really aren't risking that much.

5. GoldenEggs

GoldenEggs Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $85
    Here is one link I found, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/shattuck/5204209.html. In the article, they referenced a project called National Leisure Travel Monitor. It might be able to provide more information for you.

As for getting businesses to join you when you do not have the track record yet, do you have any personal relationships with the businesses? Do you have a target niche that they want to tap into or have not yet tapped into?

For example, my husband worked in the music industry for a number of years and established many relationships. When we started our internet business, he relied on those prior relationships to get us going. He wanted to get bigger names for the website but we did not have the numbers they wanted. He was able to negotiate a different strategy where we would sell their imperfect items, where those would have been previously discarded. The imperfections do not affect the quality of the product but it ended up being a win/win for us. We get to carry the bigger names and they get to profit from products that would have been thrown away.

6. S928

S928 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $108
    You might be able to get data like that from a certain website.

7. Luke12321

Luke12321 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $929
    As far as how to get your people to your website and give it a try...people will give it a try as long as they see value in your site. Just make your site look respectable and have the proper secruity to protect personal informatin. The upcoming generations want value and information, they will give you a try if you give them that.

8. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $44,592
    If you're trying to figure out how sites like ebay and craigslist caught on, it's mostly in the network effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

Building a web business that can leverage network effects can be very powerful (if you have a good idea) or can sink you (if users don't particularly like your idea).

9. santiago

santiago Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Homeaway.com owns VRBO and I don't think they are public, but they could very well have some information for you in press releases etc. Homeaway bought up a lot of vacation rental sites in the past few years..

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.