The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

cost of marketing ecommerce site

Marketing, social media, advertising

thinkingbig

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2010
I have talked to developers and shown them a sample of the website i want mine to look like and also the content and technical aspects i want integrated. They have quoted me around $ 12000. They seem pretty interested in the project. I had a budget of $ 15000 max and i know marketing is more important then the site itself.

So, just wanted to know from anyone who has developed and marketed and anyone with a knowhow, would $ 5000 be enough to market my site after lauch?

This site has helped so much particularly because i am not from an IT background. And as you'll see i am progressing from my idea through to market research and to site development.

cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010
I would really like to help you with all your questions, but they are soooo vague. Nobody can help you because you do not give enough information.

If you asked how much it would cost you to market an ecommerce site selling Ipods, my answer would be "A sh!tload of money."

If you said it was selling super lightweight sleeping bags that go to -50F, my answer would be "not that much money."

Marketing online depends on the product, because it depends on the competition and the amount of competition depends on the product margin and pool of customers.

You can market an ecommerce store for $0 and be very successful. You can also spend $500 a day and not make a dent in marketing. I know people who spend $5,000 a month on SEO and haven't made it to the front page yet. Some people spend $50/mo on SEO and get ranked #1 in 3 months.

I have a question. Let's say I told you that it costs $1,000 a month to market an ecommerce site. Now what? Are you going to ask how to spend the $1,000? or do you know what to do now?

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
It does not cost any money at all too market a ecommerce site just work hard and spread your web store through word of mouth or through sites that are towards your product... I have generated a lot of sales online and offline with no money at all but it has taken some time... just work hard on it and dont give up :)...You have to believe it will work then it will work!

Alexishost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Sep 8, 2009
Different service of product has different strategy to market it.

What service or product are you going to sell in your site? thinking big?

mottdog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 7, 2010
Redondo Beach, CA
Why is it so much? Process intensive backend? Lots of graphics and flash? I wouldn't let one company have access to everything at that cost. Get multiple bids from other job sites and see if the price comes down a bit.
To answer your question, begin marketing now. Begin getting articles written and blogs announcing your upcoming site. Have your url online with a basic splash page stating coming soon.

thinkingbig

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2010
for the $12K cost, is included:

1. 2 way SMS gateway
2. customised booking/reseveration system, where bookings made online are notified to the company i am dealing for
3. lots of flash and graphics
4. A few videos (15-18 tops)
5. shopping cart
6. an automated sytem refreshing availability of product.

I will definitely ask other developers for quotes. I was surprised myself. My website concept is based on hotel reservation websites, just with a different product (that is more accessible and more of impulse purchase).

@mottdog: i will defintely start preparing my articles ASAP, but i need to start talking to some of th clients (the scariest part is convincing them).

I was wondering: if some of my potential clients already use my concept, how do i convince them they should get into my idea. Currently, all the client that do use my service (only 3 of them) are doing their own thing and the whole booking thing is segregated.

cheers

mottdog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 7, 2010
Redondo Beach, CA
They will want to proof out your concept for awhile before they even begin bringing their sites down. You'll have to show your reliable and able to handle the load. Start out with a pay per lead, gain trust in each others roles and then they'll examine how to save money by using your service instead of their own staff.

lilyhollies

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 18, 2013
Remember, there are many types of free solutions available - including social media! Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and whatnot....by the way, paid advertising on social media is very tricky and if done well will be cheap....Remember, CPC (Cost per click) is much better than CPI (Cost per impression)

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
Remember, there are many types of free solutions available - including social media! Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and whatnot....by the way, paid advertising on social media is very tricky and if done well will be cheap....Remember, CPC (Cost per click) is much better than CPI (Cost per impression)

This information is not 100% accurate.. if you learn enough tricks regarding optimization of your ad and try enough variations of the ad then CPM (Cost per 1,000 impression model) can be very very valuable as you can get more clicks for the same price you would spend on one click in a CPC model.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.