The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cool, but what about the microplastics ?

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
I want to know what you guys think on the topic of pollution

I have 10/10 product in mind but i hate the fact, that i will contribute to the pollution even more, especially with more microplastics.

Plastics are F*cking is up.
Testosterone has never been lower, fertility is dropping, we might actually die because we will be unable to reproduce at some point. Bees are dying, everything is dying. And earth is not regenerating in time. Some areas might become inhabitable aswell...
I hate this topic but i realised im procastrinating on my idea because of the idea of just ruining earth even more.

On one hand i will solve really annoying problem.

On the other hand, i will contribute to making people more unhealthy and infertile.

What do you think about this? I cant get myself to work on my idea (partly from laziness to be honest, but also because i hate where our planet is headed, and i dont want to make it even worse)

Thoughts? Instead of working, i procastrinate on my idea and just make excuses not to do my stuff.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

I have 10/10 product in mind but i hate the fact, that i will contribute to the pollution even more, especially with more microplastics.

Testosterone has never been lower, fertility is dropping, we might actually die because we will be unable to reproduce at some point. Bees are dying, everything is dying. And earth is not regenerating in time. Some areas might become inhabitable aswell...
I hate this topic but i realised im procastrinating on my idea because of the idea of just ruining earth even more.

On the other hand, i will contribute to making people more unhealthy and infertile.

What do you think about this? I cant get myself to work on my idea (partly from laziness to be honest, but also because i hate where our planet is headed, and i dont want to make it even worse)

Thoughts? Instead of working, i procastrinate on my idea and just make excuses not to do my stuff.
The world won't exist for billions of years. Don't worry about the inevitable downfall of humanity. It will happen.

Go for it. Make a shit ton of money, and then you might be able to do something about global problems. Right now you're just talking...

Get to work, brother. Execute the idea.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Is this because your product is made from plastic? Or is it packaged in plastic? Is plastic the only reason you wouldn't pursue it?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Did the combustible engine make your life better or worse overall?

What about electricity and radio signals?

Or the production of petroleum?

Go read about the past. It wasn’t some eco paradise - people died of stupid stuff all the time. Modern living is amazing, we are blessed to live with what we have.

If your product is a net win for humanity overall then make it. Otherwise this type of thinking is going to have you living under a bridge doing nothing.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

I really really admire and love and respect that you have your potential product's lifecycle in mind.

Ultimately, you have to weigh the pros and cons and see where your moral compass points you.

It will be absolutely impossible to have an idea that has zero negative impact. This is something that bothered me for a while and took some time to come to terms with.

Is your current idea the only idea you can come up with? What else needs a solution that would have a smaller negative impact on the planet? If you can come up with an idea that minimizes the negatives I think you'll feel much more motivated to work hard on it because it will align more with your morals.

If you can't come up with another idea, maybe you can use your profits to give back - plant trees with a percentage of every sale, donate to ocean clean-up organizations, partner with renewable energy companies, create a program to recycle your product, etc.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Idk about anyone else but I’m not buying shit that will make me unhealthy and infertile bro

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
People died of stupid stuff all the time. Modern living is amazing, we are blessed to live with what we have.

If your product is a net win for humanity overall then make it. Otherwise this type of thinking is going to have you living under a bridge doing nothing.
GOLD!
i procastrinate on my idea and just make excuses not to do my stuff.
I think you know the answer @farahead.

The first thing that came to my mind is how I used to tell myself I have social anxiety. So instead of going up, talking to strangers, and confronting my fears, I would walk around the fear and bring up valid but insignificant excuses.

"That other person is busy"
"I'll ruin that person's day"
"I'll get rejected"
"What if she humiliates me"

I would walk the streets for hours and not talk to people that I thought were interesting.

I think instead of seeing plastic as an issue and an excuse not to start. Think about the opposite outcome.

What if you follow up with your idea, make millions upon millions, then donate a portion back to help recycle(if you really worry about pollution)?

It's just how you frame your problems. In one way you are a victim of it and in the other, you are in control and can make a difference.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Why can't you make it from a material other than plastic?
Or use a compostable material or seek out a biodegradeable plastic?
It should be possible to make your product out of something else and have it do something similar to what it does at the moment.

EDIT: If your customers are as concerned about plastic as you are, then if you can make the product "plastic free" then you will have another value skew for your product.

Last edited:

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

Why does it have to be made of plastic? Why do you think it will become pollution? Why do you think manufacturing will cause harmful waste?
I bet with some design tweaks and marketing tweaks it could be made of metal.. (I have no clue what the device is)

ajakupi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 1, 2023
Croatia

I know you know what your problem is and it's not the pollution, you can always skew your value array (in MJs words) later, but the last sentence is where you "pollute your mind" and not do anything.

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
Thank you for your words everyone, got me back to the drawing board. Im sure i will still leave net positive impact on this world. Belief crushed! :cool:

Is this because your product is made from plastic? Or is it packaged in plastic? Is plastic the only reason you wouldn't pursue it?
yeah. That was the reason why i started to learn coding so i wouldnt have bad feeling about myself. But now i reliased that i will have net positive effect on this planet anyway, and after i hit my escape number, i will research and try to develop safe alternatives

The world won't exist for billions of years. Don't worry about the inevitable downfall of humanity. It will happen.

Go for it. Make a shit ton of money, and then you might be able to do something about global problems. Right now you're just talking...

Get to work, brother. Execute the idea.
Got it :thumbsup:

Did the combustible engine make your life better or worse overall?

What about electricity and radio signals?

Or the production of petroleum?

Go read about the past. It wasn’t some eco paradise - people died of stupid stuff all the time. Modern living is amazing, we are blessed to live with what we have.

Good point. It will still have net positive impact on the world. :gold:

GOLD!

I think you know the answer @farahead.

The first thing that came to my mind is how I used to tell myself I have social anxiety. So instead of going up, talking to strangers, and confronting my fears, I would walk around the fear and bring up valid but insignificant excuses.

"That other person is busy"
"I'll ruin that person's day"
"I'll get rejected"
"What if she humiliates me"

I would walk the streets for hours and not talk to people that I thought were interesting.

I think instead of seeing plastic as an issue and an excuse not to start. Think about the opposite outcome.

What if you follow up with your idea, make millions upon millions, then donate a portion back to help recycle(if you really worry about pollution)?

It's just how you frame your problems. In one way you are a victim of it and in the other, you are in control and can make a difference.
:gold: thank you for your words Matt Lee.
even if this device would be net negative for the humanity (whitch i doubt) i wont just go afk for the rest of my life doing nothing, plastics are very close to me and id love to solve pollution problem.

Why does it have to be made of plastic? Why do you think it will become pollution? Why do you think manufacturing will cause harmful waste?
I bet with some design tweaks and marketing tweaks it could be made of metal.. (I have no clue what the device is)
Yes, i will try my best with that.

Idk about anyone else but I’m not buying shit that will make me unhealthy and infertile bro
Not to scare you but almost every plastic is making you unfertile or unhealthy. Its really really hard to avoid it.

Filippos

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 25, 2018
I still didn’t understand why you cannot make your product from sustainable materials. Could you explain?

Sounds to me like a fast excuse to not keep high standards to your morals. Plastics can be replaced by other materials in the most of the cases, but of course you make a compromise to some product features, but you can use this to market the product as sustainable in a market where everyone goes the easy way.

Another advantage would be that you can differentiate yourself significantly from the competition just by talking about you wanting to keep high standards.

You can hit me up and we can chat if you want. I’m familiar with production costs for several materials and their production processes

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
I still didn’t understand why you cannot make your product from sustainable materials. Could you explain?

Sounds to me like a fast excuse to not keep high standards to your morals. Plastics can be replaced by other materials in the most of the cases, but of course you make a compromise to some product features, but you can use this to market the product as sustainable in a market where everyone goes the easy way.

Another advantage would be that you can differentiate yourself significantly from the competition just by talking about you wanting to keep high standards.

You can hit me up and we can chat if you want. I’m familiar with production costs for several materials and their production process.
Thank you for writing. Yes thats exactly what i want to do. But you cannot 100% avoid pollution (transportation, packaging, stickers) etc...
But thanks to the replies now im realising that ill still leave huge positive impact on this world. So i shall get started on this!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.