The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cooking Recipes

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
This thread is all about different recipes. Lets here them. Doesn't matter if its brownies or marinating your favorite steak.

Creamy Chicken Quesadillas

1 Can Campbell's Cream of Chicken
1 Can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
1lb Boneless Chicken Breast
Flour Tortilla
Milk (whatever you normally drink)
Shredded Cheese
Lettuce, Peppers, Tomatoes, Hot sauce (anything you like on a Quesadilla)

Pour the contents of the cream of chicken and cheese soup into a small pot. Set to simmer or slightly higher on the stove. Mix in 1/4 cup of milk. Add cayen pepper, onion salt and garlic salt.

Next cook your chicken either in a skillet or oven. I prefer a toaster oven. Halfway through the cooking season with Toni's seasoning. Cook until done. (make sure you check the center and its not pink. Take no chances with chicken). Take the chicken out of the oven and cut into bite size pieces. Mix the chicken into the pot with cream of chicken.

Cook up and vegi's you want in the quesadilla.

Add what you want into a flour tortilla and either microwave or cook in a skillet.

If cooked in a skillet, cook until brown on both sides.

Thats one of my favorite dishes. Albeit not healthy its still very good and makes an excellent camping dish.

Lets hear your recipes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
As I consider myself a semi-professional chef I will give my favorite recipe

needed
1 pound chisken breasts
Borden heavy whiping cream
garlic cloves
butter
fresh or canned spinach
mozzarella
parmesan
fresh mushrooms
cheap brandy

Take chicken and pound it into flat pieces (milanesa style)
stuff with mozzarella and spinach
Roll into burritos and use a toothpick to hold together
you can either bake it at 400 for about 15 minutes or I prefer to grill it.

Sauce
In a large saute pan combine your mushrooms and butter and saute them along with chopped garlic. When garlic browns add 1/2 cup of brandy and light it up (flambeau)
When the fire goes out add your whipping cream and use the parmesan to thicken the sauce.

Add the chicken to the sauce and serve over a bed of pasta.

Pollo Spinache

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
OK, I can really get into this thread. My son and I love to cook and my husband loves to eat.

One of my favorites for guests:

Bulgogi: This is strips of marinated and barbecued beef that is served with lettuce leaves as "tortilla style" wraps.

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons sake (or rice wine or sherry)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
4 scallions (green onions), minced
2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Slice up a round steak into strips and put in a big ziploc bag with the marinade. Keep it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before you barbecue the strips.

Serve with iceberg or butter lettuce leaves as "wraps". I also generally make sticky rice and some stir-fried vegetables. Oh, and ice cold beer is a must.

My guests have always gone crazy for this. It's easy, easy for company and they're always impressed. (My husband lived for awhile in S Korea and Hong Kong, so we have a tendency to eat a lot of Asian food. But never kagogi.)

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
The only things I make from scratch are pizza (my family friend stayed with us for a while and taught me how to make it) and chicken noodle soup (my personal favorite...she also taught me how to make it). I don't know where the pizza recipe came from, but the soup recipe came from a book by Ina Garten.

My mom also makes great skirt steak; it's just marinated in some teriyaki/soy sauce type marinade. Great...I'm craving it now.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
My recipe isn't something you cook but it is delicious (and simple)! :smxB:

~ The Merkin's Fruit Dip:

* 2-8 ounce bricks of 1/3 less fat Philly cream cheese
* 1 regular sized container of Fluff

Allow the cream cheese to soften, then mix the Fluff into the cream cheese. Generously dip your favorite fruit and enjoy! Serve cold.

mmm...yummy!!!

Andy

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
best hamburgers ever (said with all humility)

1lb hamburg
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce

mix together form patties grill to perfection.

FYI, the more fatty the meat, the tastier the burger. Fat=flavor and of course health problems, but those problems pale on comparison to good tasting food.

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
Here's a real stand by in my house...I'm a crock pot queen...so you'll need a crock pot!

FRENCH DIP

Ingredients

Roast (any size or type will do - whatever your budget will allow)
water
oil
Lawry's season salt
pepper
garlic salt
fresh french rolls (buy them the day you plan to make/serve this meal)

Get out a skillet and put cover the bottom of it just enough with your oil. Take your roast and season it with the garlic salt & pepper. Now, just brown any and all sides of the roast....doesn't need to be cooked through...just brown the exterior to your liking (I like mine almost singed in parts)

Place roast and drippings from pan in your crock pot. Fill the pot with water (just covering the roast)....season entire top of water with the Lawry's Season Salt.

Turn crockpot on "low" and let it cook all day (at least 6 hours).

When ready, the meat will be falling apart in the pot. Get out the fresh bread/french rolls and slather them with mayo or whatever you like....put the meat on the bread. Pour in a small bowl the liquid from the pot and use that as your dipping ju.

I serve this with french fries and/or a salad.

My family loves this, especially on cold days (not too many here in California!)...but its soooo easy!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Anyone have the secret to great Matzo ball soup?

I got hooked on in when I lived down in LA, and get a jones for it every once in a while.

This is one of those rare recipes for fat free comfort food.
It's super easy to make (takes a few minutes),
and your taste buds will be reminiscing about
great apple desserts from your past (the kind w/lots of cinnamon).

Apple Cinnamon Dream

Dannon Vanilla Lite n Fit Yogurt (very imp that it's this yogurt)
Cinnamon to taste (most important-- lots, but not too much)
Fresh apples, sliced into 3/4" pcs (core, cut in half, then again, then slice the slices).

Arrange the apples in a dessert dish, then garnish w/the cinnamon yogurt.

Note: MUST be eaten shortly after cutting the apples (within 30 min), even if you use a lemon bath to prevent them from browning.

One of our most popular breakfast fruit side dishes at the B&B

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't have any recipes other than a recipe to screw-up mostly anything I cook ...

but I have to say, I think its awesome that some topics around here have nothing to do with finances, success, or money.

Recipes, child birth, jokes -- its a testament to the people around here that we feel comfortable dabbling in topics not relating to financial stuff.

Had you asked me 1 year ago if my forum would be actively discussing recipes and childbirthing, I would have been like "huh?". These are definitely unexpected, yet, welcome derivative conversations that really help foster a community.

:thankyousign::thankyousign:

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
I don't want to hijack this thread -- and by no means am I affiliated with this website but:

If you're a beginner to the whole cooking thing :smxB:

visit startcooking.com

They have videos that give you step by step instructions on how to cook a variety of meals... from lasagna to chili!

Gives me the courage to try something new, ya know

Ryan

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Mexican Hamburger

Fairly simple and popular item in Mexican restaurants here in Denver.

-Grill up a burger
-Put refried beans in a tortilla and wrap around the burger
-smother in green chili and whatever else you want.

I know it sounds like a beef burrito, only difference is the meat is not in little chunks but patty style. If your in my area just buy a pint of green chili. I will never come close to making green chili as good as the locals around here.

LaurenO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 28, 2007
Phoenix
My fettuccine alfredo seems to be a hit...

Fettuccine Alfredo:

1 package fettuccine
1 pint heavy or whipping cream
3-4 cloves of minced garlic (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
About 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs. butter
Enough shrimp or chicken to satisfy (optional)

Start a pot of water for the pasta and prep and/or cook chicken or shrimp. Mince garlic. (the flavor is MUCH better if fresh garlic is used, but the kind in a jar can be used in a pinch) Melt the butter in a pan. Add garlic and sautee until garlic turns a light golden brown, then immediately add entire carton of cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly until sauce starts to bubble, then add parmesan and continue to stir constantly. Be sure not to keep the heat too high. Cook until cheese is melted. Add the pre-prepped meat of choice to the sauce and pour over pasta. Allow to stand for 5 minutes so sauce thickens. (Note: this produces a very thick sauce....don't expect your noodles to have a bath of sauce to float in) Serve with garlic bread and your choice of veggie. Mmmm...

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
What type of fish you got rcardin? You got spanish mackerel now?

What would you say the skill level of your wife is with cooking?

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
My wife says haha
2366111390050341448DFkxzq_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yep spanish Mack. Caught them on the last trip to the coast

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
A light saute would be good. Just a light coating of flour.
They key is what it would be seasoned with and maybe making a nice sauce to go with it to jazz it up. A buerre blanc sauce may be nice. Thats basically a white butter sauce, made with butter, a bit of cream, couple various seasonings and a tiny bit of vinegar thats reduced. If interested I could type up a recipe for that sauce.

You could also shallow poach it. Using a flavorful liquid of course. Cut up some of your favorite summer veggies and use some fish stock with a bit of white wine and saffron. Reduce that liquid so it can be more powerful. Rest the fish on top of the liquid and veg with should only come up about halfway on the fish to shallow poach it. Add some small diced potatoes to the fish broth as well and its basically a 1 pot meal.

If you got a grill you could grill it too. With a bit of spice added too.
That's a real grill not a George Foreman

If you got the fish whole like in that picture, you could stuff it with a couple fresh herbs and onions, garlic and lemons and wrap it in foil or parchment paper and bake it. Could still make the flavorful broth and pour it into the foil pouch as well. Roast some rosemary red skin potatoes and whatever veg to go with it.

A pasta with a nice light white wine sauce could go with the fish as well. Hell add the damn poaching liquid to that too lol

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
mmmmmmmm. that sauce sounds great just don't have the stuff to make it with but would be willing to give the recipe a try. Please add the recipe.

I am going to wing it tonight and will post the recipe if it turns out good enough.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Ok before I type the sauce recipe I have another suggestion if you have white wine.

Have some wine, thin sliced carrots, onions, thyme, bay leaves and s&p. Boil for about 40 mins. Add fish to another pan then pour the hot liquid on it and cover for about 8-10 min or so.

Ok here is a recipe for the Beurre Blanc sauce

8 oz white wine
3 oz vinegar (apple cider)
bout 2 tablespoons of minced shallots
Bout a teaspoon of black peppercorns

8 oz heavy cream (better if you got 16 oz cream and reduced it to 8)
1 1/2 lbs cubed unsalted butter (let it sit about 10-20 min outside fridge before using)
Salt and white pepper to taste
squirt of lemon juice

Combine first group of ingredients in a pan and reduce until there is barely any liquid left, then strain off that tiny bit of liquid (may only be a tablespoon or 2)
Set that aside.
Add cream to the pan and heat it up and gradually add the butter a few cubes at a time constantly whisking until its melted in. Keep adding all the cubed butter in stages and keep whisking. Once butter is all in add a bit of salt and white pepper to taste and a squirt of about half a lemon.
Remove from heat. Do not cook it anymore, just put it in a warm place till ready to use it.

Its not hard, but its very important that you whisk it non stop once you start adding the butter. Good sauce, but similar to a hollandaise it wont hold for very long before it breaks so once you make it and finish it use it asap.

And for dessert... Cookies.
You know I have a lovely cookie press she could use *cough* :D

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
You guys have got to try this chicken recipe - especially if you "can't cook" - it's sooo easy and it tastes great! Goes great with fettucini alfredo and a salad or almost dish!

Here's the recipe:

GARLIC CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 teaspoons crushed garlic (the jarred kind works just fine)
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (the finely grated kind - like Shake N Bake)
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the powdered kind in the green can)
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Warm the garlic and olive oil to blend the flavors. In a separate dish, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken breasts in the olive oil and garlic mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place in a shallow baking dish.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

:smx7: ENJOY!!! :smx7:

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
sounds like a great sauce!

Here is what I ended up doing......

Tony Cachere's red beans and rice
Collard greens

Lightly fried the fish in bread crumbs

Covered it in a home made pico consisting of
roma tomatoes
home grown onion
Basil from the garden
1 Lime squeezed
Sauteed garlic in the same olive oil I used to cook the fish

Good ole southern cooking with a Caribbean flair

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I would like to nominate rcardin to cater next years B&P meetup.

The food looks great rcardin!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Not sure if your Spanish Mack would work in place of catfish, but here's my favorite recipe for catfish:

Ingredients

6 catfish filets
Cedar plank
3 cloves garlic
3 T medium curry
3 tsp fresh tarragon
2 cups heavy sweet cream
5 oz vodka, in freezer
salt and pepper to taste

Soak plank in water for 4 hours.

Chop garlic, mix w/tarragon.

Mix tarragon/garlic into cream, set aside for 2 hours.

When plank is ready, sprinkle curry on filets.

Spread filets on plank and put about 4" over open fire (oak or other hardwood preferred). Cover with aluminum foil tent so fish won't dry out.

Roast filets (on board) for 21 minutes.

Every 3 minutes: Brush tarragon cream on filets sparingly. Turn filets every 6 minutes.

Be sure to keep fire under control-- flames must "lick" the bottom of the board, scorching it and smoking the fish-- but they must not catch the board on fire!

After 21 minutes, decant the vodka into a small glass.

Remove the fish and plank from the fire.

Throw away the catfish.

Eat the board.

Drink the vodka, quickly. :D

-Russ H.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
After 21 minutes, decant the vodka into a small glass.

Remove the fish and plank from the fire.

Throw away the catfish.

Eat the board.

Drink the vodka, quickly. :D

-Russ H.
LMAO :eusa_clap:

Figures u ended up frying it anyway rcardin lol
Nice pico

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm huge into cooking but some of my favorite recipes are ones you can just throw together without a true step by step recipe.

Here's an easy favorite that you can just eyeball and not measure anything for: Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches.

Use a slow cooker or an instant pot - your choice.

- Get a typical cheap beef roast, salt and pepper it, toss it into the pot.
- Cut up or food process a jar of Pepperoncini's, toss it in with the meat, juice and all
- Eyeball a bunch of Italian seasoning and grated garlic, toss it in
- Cook until it's shreddable, then shred it.
- Get some nice looking sub buns, coat both sides in garlic aioli (or other garlic spread of choice), toss on some provolone (or other white melty cheese), some more Italian seasoning, and add your shredded beef. If you want to get fancy, caramelize some onions to toss into it all.

If you're using an instant pot, you might not have enough liquid so just toss in some beef stock until you hit the minimum liquid level.

There is no reasonable way to screw this recipe up and it's not the kind of recipe that will destroy your kitchen.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.