The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conflicted on Entrepreneurship Loan Opportunity

Bankerdiet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 23, 2019
I have an opportunity I am conflicted on, and would like to know people's thoughts. The offer is essentially a loan paid out to me over two years in monthly increments. The amount is roughly 70% of my current pre-tax salary. The purpose is to provide a "monthly income" while I work on building a company. I just completed my second year of investment banking, but have always had an entrepreneurial itch. This offer allows me to continue paying rent and feeding myself without having to worry too much about finances. The repayment mechanism is what makes this unique. Instead of fixed payments after two years, the repayment can come in two different forms. The first is a share of my future income, say 10% of my future income should I start earning a salary again (aka if my company fails). The other option is to convert the loan liability in to equity in my new company should it show signs fo success and the ability to raise a round of institutional capital. I am generally avoidant of debt, but this seems like a nuanced way to be able to start a company without sleeping on a friends couch and eating ramen noodles. I'd be interested in thoughts or concerns here as I think through my options.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Have you taken a look at your chambers of commerce and what other government funding options are open to you?

In Germany we have possibility of applying for an entrepreneurial loan that pays 60% of our salary if we worked for over 1 year in a job (they will pay you this for 6 months).

Currently I have been working at my company for 9 months and I already told them im quitting in December (I will have 12 months then). Then, I will get 60% of my salary for another 6 months and use that money to live privately while hustling on the business.

Sometimes you would be surprised how much free help and support you have available to you out there!

Best
Champion

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
Never go into debt to finance lifestyle.
Keep your job, build an additional cash flow stream in your free and down time. (Consulting, e-commerce, affiliate marketing, freelancing....)
Quit your job once your additional cashflow stream can replace the income from your job, then focus on building something sustainable while continuing getting income from your side hustle.

Bankerdiet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 23, 2019
Have you taken a look at your chambers of commerce and what other government funding options are open to you?

In Germany we have possibility of applying for an entrepreneurial loan that pays 60% of our salary if we worked for over 1 year in a job (they will pay you this for 6 months).

Currently I have been working at my company for 9 months and I already told them im quitting in December (I will have 12 months then). Then, I will get 60% of my salary for another 6 months and use that money to live privately while hustling on the business.

Sometimes you would be surprised how much free help and support you have available to you out there!

Best
Champion
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that option. I'll have to investigate further, although I haven't seen anything like that in the US.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Put me down as someone that avoids debt unless it is for real estate, business equipment or a cashflow purpose.

A loan to pay bills... No, never.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!