The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Concealed Carry - What do you carry?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
high percentage of shootings occur in middle to upper class neighborhoods.
I wouldn't be surprised by this. I think though it may be bigger cities more then smaller ones. Because I have no idea how where I grew up kept the crime out for the most part. There a mixture of middle class and upper class, but surrounding areas have gangsters and shootings. Like on the Lake Shore you know that is Fast lane. And they do target those homes for vandalism or stealing, but I think people are afraid to come in that area, because usually our cops don't have nothing better to do, then sit in cars and give out speeding tickets, and the minute they see a car that looks suspicious for various reasons they stop you. Even for stupid stuff. Listening to our area on the police scanner will put you to sleep. And I think it's gotten more exciting since I left.
I think we've had more happen since I've been gone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I'm still undecided on getting my ccw. I worry more now that I have a kid. On one hand I know the gun could help me protect him. On the other I worry about him trying to grab the gun (while I'm holding him, not while it's safely stored) while he's still too little to understand.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised by this. I think though it may be bigger cities more then smaller ones. Because I have no idea how where I grew up kept the crime out for the most part. There a mixture of middle class and upper class, but surrounding areas have gangsters and shootings. Like on the Lake Shore you know that is Fast lane. And they do target those homes for vandalism or stealing, but I think people are afraid to come in that area, because usually our cops don't have nothing better to do, then sit in cars and give out speeding tickets, and the minute they see a car that looks suspicious for various reasons they stop you. Even for stupid stuff. Listening to our area on the police scanner will put you to sleep. And I think it's gotten more exciting since I left.
I think we've had more happen since I've been gone.

Bad people live everywhere Mattie, but the beauty of America is the freedom to choose, and you have the right to not own a gun. There are plenty of countries where there is no choice :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Bad people live everywhere Mattie, but the beauty of America is the freedom to choose, and you have the right to not own a gun. There are plenty of countries where there is no choice :)
Yes we do. And we also have stupid police officers that fire an automatic weapon at a raccoon under your cavalier on a pavement, and the bullets ricochet off the drive way through your garage door all the way to the back of the garage and out the back yard and I don't think they ever figured out where it stopped. And He was fired. :)

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Have any of you CC'ers ever had to draw your weapon?

Being from the otherside of the world where this concept doesn't exist, I'm intrigued by it.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
As tempted as it is to get into the whole arms debate, I'm gonna stay out of it for respect and the fact that this is posted in the right section.

Debating is nauseating anyway haha.

This is what I carry. They've only caught me slippin' once.

View attachment 9517
Damn that was you? You sneaky bugger, you. I hope they at least gave you good food while they pulled you aside for questioning.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
In my part of the world concealed carry is rare, unless you are in murky waters. So instead I carry a punk bracelet which I strap around my fist for added "Ouch!" effect. I like it because, unlike brass knuckles, you can conceal it easily and it won't get you into much trouble with the police if they find it on you. I also take a knife when I go biking in rural areas. Stray dogs are everywhere and they don't take kindly to our species.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
it seems the one you're choosing may have this same type of system. But I'm not familiar with what you picked up.
No, the shield I got has a manual thumb safety. They do offer it without the manual thumb safety though.
And yea I completely agree. I chose the version with the safety for the reasons you mentioned. Although it does sort of have a trigger safety as well. If you pull the top of the trigger, it won't break but if you pull the bottom, it fully breaks and fires.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
For those of you who are fairly new to guns like myself, or are interested in purchasing one in the future. Make sure you imbed these 4 rules inside your head and never break them!

4rules.jpg

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Oh, guns! <3

I do enjoy shooting, though I haven't been able to go too much since the kids were born. I have been considering getting a CCP, but haven't pulled the trigger yet (trololol).

My husband usually carries his H&K USP Compact 9mm.

@Lathan; Everyone should have these rules memorized if they are going to be around guns, most definitely. If you know these rules and act in accordance with them, any risks associated with gun carry go way down. I think I'm going to require my kids to have them memorized before they can go shooting with us... can't start 'em too early. ;)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Have any of you CC'ers ever had to draw your weapon?

Nope. I hope to never have to. There are pretty grave consequences for brandishing in most states as well. Here in AZ, if you draw, you better shoot, or face some pretty severe repercussions. CLARIFICATION: the point being, if your life (or someone around you) is NOT in peril, you better not pull that weapon & point it at anyone. While there is tolerance for personal protection, there is NOT tolerance for F*ckery with a firearm here. Which I completely agree with.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
S&W Bodyguard .380. Used to have a glock 23, but I wanted something more compact.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
@Lathan; Everyone should have these rules memorized if they are going to be around guns, most definitely.
This.

And if you've ever been around someone who's handling a gun and NOT following these, it'll put you on edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
And if you've ever been around someone who's handling a gun and NOT following these, it'll put you on edge.

I simply don't trust people to be competent around firearms. My father-in-law brought out a pistol to show one time & was (not really) waving it around (felt like it). I was like, lemme clear that real quick so I can relax. Thanks. To me, that would have been proper etiquette, but you'd be surprised how many people don't even think about it. Also, my dad was pretty awesome, taught me properly.

But to be fair, this applies to more than guns. I don't just go ride with any group of people with motorcycles... there are crazies out there who will not think twice about putting the whole group in danger (because the concept never crosses their minds) because they're a dumbass rider. I guess this line of thinking applies to anything that's potentially dangerous.

Castaway

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Feb 15, 2014
The Woods
I simply don't trust people to be competent around firearms. My father-in-law brought out a pistol to show one time & was (not really) waving it around (felt like it). I was like, lemme clear that real quick so I can relax. Thanks.

For some reason, even if I know its clear, I can not stand having a barrel pointed in my direction..

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
The only gun I have is a 9mm Highpoint. Got it a long time ago when I just wanted a cheap gun to have in the house for protection. For as dirt cheap as it is, its never given me a problem. Shoots accurately. But you dont want to conceal carry it. Too heavy.

Ive been thinking about getting a more compact gun to conceal carry when hiking. Not just for people protection. But after seeing a movie on bear attacks, then reading about bear attacks, I no longer want to hike unarmed lol. Irrational? Probably. But even though theres a very very low likelihood of ever having that happen, the potential outcome is so bad it seems silly to me now to not be prepared. Maybe have a couple snake shot rounds in there too.

And if you do happen upon a weirdo out hiking in the woods nobody is gonna save you but you.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Ive been thinking about getting a more compact gun to conceal carry when hiking. Not just for people protection. But after seeing a movie on bear attacks, then reading about bear attacks, I no longer want to hike unarmed lol
Be careful with what you use to shoot a bear. Shoot to KILL if you shoot at all. The last thing you want to do is shoot it with some weak gun and it sting him.. It will just piss him off.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
In AZ it's legal to conceal carry and open carry with a permit.

If I'm carrying it's usuall a Glock 19, but I sure do miss my Springfield EMP

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
In AZ it's legal to conceal carry and open carry with a permit.

If I'm carrying it's usuall a Glock 19, but I sure do miss my Springfield EMP

Damn, wouldn't a Glock 19 be huge on you? I have a G19 and Keltec 9 and Kahr PM40, the Kahr and Keltec are single stacks fits in front jean's pockets, I need to wear a long shirt or a jacket to carry the glock. I here glock is coming out with a single stack soon. :) The problem is that everytime you get a new gun, you have to get 5 extra mags and new holsters too.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yah it is a little big.

I'd like to pick up an EMP again - single stack 9mm in a small 1911 frame. Was a dream to carry. My first one started having problems though.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Ruger LCP in a Crossbreed IWB holster for everyday carry. If it's coat weather I'll tuck my Kahr CW45 in a Milt Sparks holster.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Beretta 92 FS -- you literally can carry this pistol w/ safety off and hammer cocked and it will only fire if you pull the trigger.

I strongly recommend anyone who is carrying take a live fire training class. There's a world of difference between shooting at a piece of paper at the range, and shooting at a real person. Live fire obviously won't let you shoot people, but at least you'll get a feel for shooting at targets where there are consequences to unloading your clip.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Beretta 92 FS -- you literally can carry this pistol w/ safety off and hammer cocked and it will only fire if you pull the trigger.

I strongly recommend anyone who is carrying take a live fire training class. There's a world of difference between shooting at a piece of paper at the range, and shooting at a real person. Live fire obviously won't let you shoot people, but at least you'll get a feel for shooting at targets where there are consequences to unloading your clip.
I go out with some of my military buddies to a LF CQB target course.

Nowhere near their level yet, but I've learned a lot. I ran through it dry a few times before going live. Even then it was just one guy and me.

9001% different than a static target.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I carry a Pimento ...

I actually very much agree with this sentiment. Carrying a gun adds fuel to fires more often than not. It's also an enormous responsibility. Personally, I think the contents of my wallet are less valuable than the idiot who might mug me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.