Hey guys,
I'm running into a bit of an issue with the review of my online console and onboarding process. The company I run redefines digital advertising. One of the current pain points of digital advertising is the lack of control the advertiser has over how their advertisements are displayed to the user, and the quantities in which they are displayed.
The way I picture my software is in a comparison to Microsoft Excel. Anybody can open up Excel and start a basic table-like spreadsheet, but some users are what we call "power users." These guys know the ins and outs of the program, and really take full advantage of it.
When starting an ad campaign through my company, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. During peer reviews, the complicated stuff ALWAYS comes into question. The only solution to their "problems" with it is to take out the features.
I have two features called "User Budget" and "Claim User For." To the right of the form is more information regarding their usage, but the assumption is that everyone who goes through the process will have been briefed on the features and their intended use. Even if they aren't, they can easily read into how to use them to their advantage. Neither of these features make any sense to any entrepreneur or developer I've talked to. They want them out, but I consider them a key to the value and control.
The way I look at these features, are like trying to design a pivot table or do vlookups in Excel. You're not going to be able to jump right in with no knowledge and find value in them. Does that make them completely worthless and useless? Absolutely not! Can these features be explained just in 2 words for the name? Not at all either.
Sooooo... the dilemna... what do you guys think I should do? I have this huge bias with software companies attempting to oversimplify things to the point where it no longer provides any value. I want my system to be a Microsoft Excel, where they can either open it up and use it, or dig into the heartier details which put them behind the steering wheel for their marketing.
Thanks
-David
I'm running into a bit of an issue with the review of my online console and onboarding process. The company I run redefines digital advertising. One of the current pain points of digital advertising is the lack of control the advertiser has over how their advertisements are displayed to the user, and the quantities in which they are displayed.
The way I picture my software is in a comparison to Microsoft Excel. Anybody can open up Excel and start a basic table-like spreadsheet, but some users are what we call "power users." These guys know the ins and outs of the program, and really take full advantage of it.
When starting an ad campaign through my company, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. During peer reviews, the complicated stuff ALWAYS comes into question. The only solution to their "problems" with it is to take out the features.
I have two features called "User Budget" and "Claim User For." To the right of the form is more information regarding their usage, but the assumption is that everyone who goes through the process will have been briefed on the features and their intended use. Even if they aren't, they can easily read into how to use them to their advantage. Neither of these features make any sense to any entrepreneur or developer I've talked to. They want them out, but I consider them a key to the value and control.
The way I look at these features, are like trying to design a pivot table or do vlookups in Excel. You're not going to be able to jump right in with no knowledge and find value in them. Does that make them completely worthless and useless? Absolutely not! Can these features be explained just in 2 words for the name? Not at all either.
Sooooo... the dilemna... what do you guys think I should do? I have this huge bias with software companies attempting to oversimplify things to the point where it no longer provides any value. I want my system to be a Microsoft Excel, where they can either open it up and use it, or dig into the heartier details which put them behind the steering wheel for their marketing.
Thanks
-David
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
