The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Community Forums

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.

So I was listening to this random book a while ago, and the author said that he had started a Community Forum, that effectively acted liked a referral network for some books he had written, which got me thinking,

Has anyone added a Community Forum to their own business website?
Given (theoretically) the continued new material generated by forum discussion, would this drive SEO?
Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?

Cheers

Dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I designed and launched a community forum for a medical client. It was to be used by their group of 20,000 nurses. The community was already active on Facebook and it was my job to design the incentives to get them on the forum instead.

We did it in Joomla but I don't know the specifics. I just designed it. An Indian team implement it.

It's much much harder if you don't already have an active audience. I tried twice to get a community forum rolling (once on a martial arts site and one on a gaming site) and both failed.

Edit: Yes, it would absolutely drive long-tail SEO, especially if the SERPS are all empty. However if it's not a hyperniche keyword, Google is more likely to prioritize giants like Reddit over your new guy.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
would this drive SEO?

It does.

But forums are incredibly difficult and time-consuming to start. I wouldn't recommend it as a venue or a marketing strategy. But I would recommend it as a support service for customer/potential customer convos.

Discourse is probably best for this.

Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?

Forum software is notoriously bad.

I can't recommend anything.

Xenforo, despite their new version, is stuck in the dark ages. None of them really focus on mobile, the growing segment where users are.

If was starting anew, I'd probably go with IP.Board.

For CRM, Discourse.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Thanks for your feedback.. I might shelve the forum idea for now!
Cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.