The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Community Forums

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.

So I was listening to this random book a while ago, and the author said that he had started a Community Forum, that effectively acted liked a referral network for some books he had written, which got me thinking,

Has anyone added a Community Forum to their own business website?
Given (theoretically) the continued new material generated by forum discussion, would this drive SEO?
Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?

Cheers

Dave

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

DennisDuty

Mini Media Mogul
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I designed and launched a community forum for a medical client. It was to be used by their group of 20,000 nurses. The community was already active on Facebook and it was my job to design the incentives to get them on the forum instead.

We did it in Joomla but I don't know the specifics. I just designed it. An Indian team implement it.

It's much much harder if you don't already have an active audience. I tried twice to get a community forum rolling (once on a martial arts site and one on a gaming site) and both failed.

Edit: Yes, it would absolutely drive long-tail SEO, especially if the SERPS are all empty. However if it's not a hyperniche keyword, Google is more likely to prioritize giants like Reddit over your new guy.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
would this drive SEO?
It does.

But forums are incredibly difficult and time-consuming to start. I wouldn't recommend it as a venue or a marketing strategy. But I would recommend it as a support service for customer/potential customer convos.

Discourse is probably best for this.

Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?
Forum software is notoriously bad.

I can't recommend anything.

Xenforo, despite their new version, is stuck in the dark ages. None of them really focus on mobile, the growing segment where users are.

If was starting anew, I'd probably go with IP.Board.

For CRM, Discourse.

OP
OP
Davejemmolly

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Thanks for your feedback.. I might shelve the forum idea for now!
Cheers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom