The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Community Forums

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.

So I was listening to this random book a while ago, and the author said that he had started a Community Forum, that effectively acted liked a referral network for some books he had written, which got me thinking,

Has anyone added a Community Forum to their own business website?
Given (theoretically) the continued new material generated by forum discussion, would this drive SEO?
Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?

Cheers

Dave

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

DennisDuty

Mini Media Mogul
Speedway Pass
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I designed and launched a community forum for a medical client. It was to be used by their group of 20,000 nurses. The community was already active on Facebook and it was my job to design the incentives to get them on the forum instead.

We did it in Joomla but I don't know the specifics. I just designed it. An Indian team implement it.

It's much much harder if you don't already have an active audience. I tried twice to get a community forum rolling (once on a martial arts site and one on a gaming site) and both failed.

Edit: Yes, it would absolutely drive long-tail SEO, especially if the SERPS are all empty. However if it's not a hyperniche keyword, Google is more likely to prioritize giants like Reddit over your new guy.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
would this drive SEO?

It does.

But forums are incredibly difficult and time-consuming to start. I wouldn't recommend it as a venue or a marketing strategy. But I would recommend it as a support service for customer/potential customer convos.

Discourse is probably best for this.

Lastly, can anyone recommend some quality Forum software that's worth investigating?

Forum software is notoriously bad.

I can't recommend anything.

Xenforo, despite their new version, is stuck in the dark ages. None of them really focus on mobile, the growing segment where users are.

If was starting anew, I'd probably go with IP.Board.

For CRM, Discourse.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Thanks for your feedback.. I might shelve the forum idea for now!
Cheers

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom