The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Closing Business ... now what?

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
I've been in business for, what will be, 5 years at end of February. Not making a profit and feel like it's time to move/relocate anyway.

Closing the business, selling inventory...that's that. Have a place lined up for my current clients. So the closing of the business will be complete, non complicated.

But now what?

I can take a month off to take care of stuff, visit relatives etc. Then...I guess I'll have to get a real job. Can't stand the thought of someone telling me what to do, clocking in, being timed for coffee and restroom breaks, giving me grief when I'm sick, taking time off for an emergency at school or home. Not going to wear a monkey suit and won't stand for silly customers yelling at me.

Will probably get a stupid labor job....construction labor, dishwasher? Just to start bringing in money. I could do sales but why? I'll fail unless I believe in the product. I see sales men and they are all dead inside.

My business was pretty specific. not many skills transfer to other businesses, in my opinion. Management-not interested. Fitness-I'm not a model or expert. Sales-nah. Teaching/training--would rather sweep a construction site.

No money to start another business, will have to try to freelance/write/ do something part time until I can take off.

Any advice////career/job/side hustle/life. Looking grim, but I know this is what I have to do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Sounds like with that attitude you really should go for a stupid labor job.

Or...

You could pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.

Do whatever it takes to pay the bills, have your pity party for a short while if you want, but then stop talking about all the things you don't want/you can't do/you're not good at/you're not good looking enough for/or what you're too good for and START talking about what you can do, what you WANT, what you ARE capable of.

Start there.

DakonSG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 17, 2018
Woodbury, Minnesota
There's no shame in letting someone fund your dreams. Having an employer now doesn't mean you'll need to have one forever.

There's a lesson in ALL of your experiences. The world is ALWAYS working in your favor.

The universe doesn't give you what you don't want; it can only give you what you want. So, if your business is closing, it's because you wanted it that way. You cannot have any other experience than the one that you've wanted.

Even Jobs said it's difficult to connect-the-dots forward; it's only once they're behind you do you truly see how they're connected to your grand vision.

There's more to life than you can see now. Right now you are being blessed.

Last edited:

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
My business was pretty specific. not many skills transfer to other businesses, in my opinion.
Your business was specific, but running a business for 5 years must have thought you something. Take a look at the bigger picture man.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Sounds like with that attitude you really should go for a stupid labor job.

Or...

You could pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.

Do whatever it takes to pay the bills, have your pity party for a short while if you want, but then stop talking about all the things you don't want/you can't do/you're not good at/you're not good looking enough for/or what you're too good for and START talking about what you can do, what you WANT, what you ARE capable of.

Start there.

Great advice. Do this.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Advice: change your attitude. change your language.
start creating value and making the world a better place.
get to work. if it is a job, do it really well and use it to fund what you want to do. if you don't know what you want to do, take a job that will teach you the skills you don't have and help fund what you can do once you get them. quit the woe is me and get up and get something done. do it now. take one step toward redemption. write down 15 ideas for jobs and 15 ideas for businesses. research each and find a POSITIVE path FORWARD.

You can do it! I believe in you.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not making a profit for 5 years? Damn

I doubt he made 0 profits during the 5 yrs. Probably was doing well in the beginning then started having issues during the last couple yrs?

But if he made 0 profits and still continued to do this for the past 5 years, then that IS some really, utterly sick and out of this universe determination and perseverance game.

:thumbsup:

Goldstandard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Nov 19, 2017
America
Thanks guys. Will stop the pity party and move on.

The specific business was fitness, although I'm not a fitness trainer. When I say I made no profits. I was able to always pay the rent and all bills, sometimes pay myself, most times not. My spouse made enough money at her job to pay our bills.

I did a lot of good for people. But never made the money I was hoping to make.

I def have some management, training, teaching, sales, marketing and business skills, but nothing that's going to get me a top tier job or a job that I really want.

I'll look on Craigslist when it's time, get a job...not sitting at a desk or working retail or restaraunt and scheme of ways to start another business.

I failed because my overhead was too high and my business model was too inflexible.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Maybe it's cheesy because it's from a movie - but there's still truth in it:

Keep pushing. You can do this!