• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Closing Business ... now what?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Goldstandard, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Goldstandard

Goldstandard Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $122
    I've been in business for, what will be, 5 years at end of February. Not making a profit and feel like it's time to move/relocate anyway.

Closing the business, selling inventory...that's that. Have a place lined up for my current clients. So the closing of the business will be complete, non complicated.

But now what?

I can take a month off to take care of stuff, visit relatives etc. Then...I guess I'll have to get a real job. Can't stand the thought of someone telling me what to do, clocking in, being timed for coffee and restroom breaks, giving me grief when I'm sick, taking time off for an emergency at school or home. Not going to wear a monkey suit and won't stand for silly customers yelling at me.

Will probably get a stupid labor job....construction labor, dishwasher? Just to start bringing in money. I could do sales but why? I'll fail unless I believe in the product. I see sales men and they are all dead inside.

My business was pretty specific. not many skills transfer to other businesses, in my opinion. Management-not interested. Fitness-I'm not a model or expert. Sales-nah. Teaching/training--would rather sweep a construction site.

No money to start another business, will have to try to freelance/write/ do something part time until I can take off.

Any advice////career/job/side hustle/life. Looking grim, but I know this is what I have to do.

Xeon likes this.
  2. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,100
    Sounds like with that attitude you really should go for a stupid labor job.

Or...

You could pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.

Do whatever it takes to pay the bills, have your pity party for a short while if you want, but then stop talking about all the things you don't want/you can't do/you're not good at/you're not good looking enough for/or what you're too good for and START talking about what you can do, what you WANT, what you ARE capable of.

Start there.

3. DakonSG

DakonSG New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $146
    There's no shame in letting someone fund your dreams. Having an employer now doesn't mean you'll need to have one forever.

There's a lesson in ALL of your experiences. The world is ALWAYS working in your favor.

The universe doesn't give you what you don't want; it can only give you what you want. So, if your business is closing, it's because you wanted it that way. You cannot have any other experience than the one that you've wanted.

Even Jobs said it's difficult to connect-the-dots forward; it's only once they're behind you do you truly see how they're connected to your grand vision.

There's more to life than you can see now. Right now you are being blessed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    SMH, Goldstandard, Xeon and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris25

Chris25 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $617
    Your business was specific, but running a business for 5 years must have thought you something. Take a look at the bigger picture man.

Goldstandard, Xeon and BrooklynHustle like this.
  5. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,743
    What 'specific' business did you have?

Goldstandard, Xeon and BrooklynHustle like this.
  6. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,856
    Great advice. Do this.

Goldstandard likes this.
  7. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $2,427
    Not making a profit for 5 years? Damn

Goldstandard likes this.
  8. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,016
    Advice: change your attitude. change your language.
    start creating value and making the world a better place.
    get to work. if it is a job, do it really well and use it to fund what you want to do. if you don't know what you want to do, take a job that will teach you the skills you don't have and help fund what you can do once you get them. quit the woe is me and get up and get something done. do it now. take one step toward redemption. write down 15 ideas for jobs and 15 ideas for businesses. research each and find a POSITIVE path FORWARD.

You can do it! I believe in you.

SMH, Goldstandard and BrooklynHustle like this.
  9. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,630
    I doubt he made 0 profits during the 5 yrs. Probably was doing well in the beginning then started having issues during the last couple yrs?

But if he made 0 profits and still continued to do this for the past 5 years, then that IS some really, utterly sick and out of this universe determination and perseverance game.

:thumbsup:

Goldstandard likes this.
  10. Goldstandard

Goldstandard Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $122
    Thanks guys. Will stop the pity party and move on.

The specific business was fitness, although I'm not a fitness trainer. When I say I made no profits. I was able to always pay the rent and all bills, sometimes pay myself, most times not. My spouse made enough money at her job to pay our bills.

I did a lot of good for people. But never made the money I was hoping to make.

I def have some management, training, teaching, sales, marketing and business skills, but nothing that's going to get me a top tier job or a job that I really want.

I'll look on Craigslist when it's time, get a job...not sitting at a desk or working retail or restaraunt and scheme of ways to start another business.

I failed because my overhead was too high and my business model was too inflexible.

DakonSG and Kung Fu Steve like this.
  11. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,525
    Maybe it's cheesy because it's from a movie - but there's still truth in it:

Keep pushing. You can do this!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.