What's new

Circle of Life for the "Old Guy"

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

RATurner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
6
Location
Tulsa, OK
Rep Bank
$225
User Power: 233%
Hey everyone...hopefully this won't bore everyone to tears.

Entrepreneur-ism started in junior high school for me. I broke 3 packs of super balls and sold them to students. Later that turned into making cinnamon toothpicks I made by hand with cinnamon oil from the pharmacy. Just a start.

I started playing guitar in a band in junior high school and played for money as early as the 7th grade.
In high school I turned to electronics and hand built strobe lights, color organs and guitar sound effects. I sold some of these as well.

I played in bands for years in small clubs all while going to college. Made it hard on the grades for sure. Nevertheless I completed my electrical engineering degree and worked designing consumer electronics in the outdoor industry for about 33 years with one decade of interruption.

This happened when a decade ago my wife's mom went down with COPD and needed to live with us. That lasted a couple of years. I volunteered to take care of her when the company I worked for nearly 30 years was sold & myself and many others got laid off. No gold watch, nothing. Remember that. The day job is NOT secure!

So I tried to make money online while taking care of my wife's mom (all while my wife worked) with machine generated affiliate websites. AKA destined to fail. AKA money chasing. I made significant money for sure but only for about a year or two. At one point I had over 400 websites. Customers were OK with them but Google HAAATED them! And POOF they were gone. From thousands per month to dollars per month in no time.

Next dad went down with severe dementia and lived with us for 5 years until he no longer knew who I was and eventually passed. Meanwhile I was still working from home doing the "shiny object" path to failure. Desperation was setting in. Our retirement income disappearing after 10 years of no work and a high burn rate. (Note the mistakes in those last few sentences.)

During those years I created my own line of products manufactured overseas and sold on Amazon. This went well for the first year or so. Unfortunately it was difficult to create a USP that separated me from the Chinese competitors and others who FLOODED the market. Sales have spiraled down. Could it be saved ... maybe. I still sell some. But I had to get a JOB! We were getting very near disaster.

As I go through MJ's materials I realize the many mistakes I made over the many things I have tried. I wish I had them many years ago. His books are an insightful, no BS look into a brilliant mind who has spent MUCH more time analyzing these things through than I have.

FYI I still at age 66 am designing electronics put on $100,000 boats, ATVs, motocycles and so on. The day job makes it difficult to go forward with my entrepreneurial ventures, but far from impossible. My intention is to keep pounding away until I succeed!

Mistakes, I have made plenty. Hopefully someone can learn from my story that there is NO security in the day job chasing shiny objects are a waste, high burn rates are bad and that it is never too late to succeed. Keep at it!

Thanks so much to MJ for great books that have and will continue to help me.

Best wishes for everyone in achieving their personal goals

Rex
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Jume Siy! Tuapft moli zua jewi vji ipvsiqsipiasoem hipi epf siduhpobif ov wisz iesmz op mogi.

Ximduni epf vjeplt gus vji opvsu.
 
Vji qesv vjev O migv uav deni vu ni xjip O xevdjif upi ug NK't ZuaVaci wofiut vufez. O raemogz et ep "Edvoup Gelis" optvief ug vji "Edvoup Velis". Zaq... O haitt O raemogz. O jevi tezoph vjev cav ov tiint ov ot vsai.

O en EMXEZT, EMXEZT xusloph cav ugvip fuoph nopfmitt vetlt vjev eff movvmi wemai optvief ug xusloph up caomfoph vji catopitt ovtimg. Ep iyenqmi nohjv ci mudloph uav jedlis evvinqvt up nz xictovit optvief ug hivvoph nusi vseggod vu nz qsufadvt vu neli nusi nupiz. E cef vsefi-ugg.

Us nezci siefoph e bommoup ineomt optvief ug neloph vji pix wofiu vu efwisvoti nz qsufadv up Gedicuul.

Ov ot tu ucwouat ziv ov ot ietz vu hiv tadlif opvu vji ietz kuct optvief ug vji upit vjev duapv.

O dep jies NK tezoph... "Fup'v fu vjev!" :duum:
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom