The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

China Freight Costs Exploded!??

liero1

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Oct 17, 2019
Hi - just wanting to see how your experience is at the moment, I have been told that sea freight China Europe is about 5x as expensive as usual. Even express air freight is up in costs.

This is really bad at the moment - I guess just need to delay sourcing for a few months?!

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I think from reading this article, March onwards will start to see things return to normal.

The Brexit bit won't concern you if you are in mainland Europe but the rest are factors that have and will cause congestion (Covid, Christmas just finished and upcoming Chinese New Year)

Not my field but my March guess doesn't seem that unreasonable and that is not too long for you to wait.

Dan

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
I doubt it will slow down in March, CNY will be ending and people will be wanting to get their shipments going.

Robert Force

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 15, 2020
France
Have you guys ever checked train freight from China ? I heard it is not that expensive compared to its relative speed. Not my field too, just curious.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
Have you guys ever checked train freight from China ? I heard it is not that expensive compared to its relative speed. Not my field too, just curious.
It’s terrible. Not recommended. Many many train shipments are stuck at Polish or Czech customs for a very long time. Either go by air or sea and skip train shipments for now

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The rates for rail freight will usually work out at two to three times the cost per kg compared to sea freight, but the opportunity cost must be taken into account.

Faster delivery means quicker turnover of stock and that can make more money than the extra freight cost.
It’s terrible. Not recommended. Many many train shipments are stuck at Polish or Czech customs for a very long time. Either go by air or sea and skip train shipments for now
Even before Covid there were unreasonable delays at some border crossings, but the current situation is even worse. Sea freight is also suffering huge delays, with a major reason being the shortage of empty containers.

I don't see the situation improving greatly for a long time due to Covid disruptions. We haven't yet settled into a "new normal" in international trade.

Walter

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.