The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

*** FREIGHT OPTIMIZATION *** :: Post here, let's cut costs.

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey guys,

I'm really happy with my freight forwarder, but there's always room for improvement and getting the price lower. So here's what I'm thinking:

Post in this thread if you:
  • Already Import.
  • Want to get your freight price lower.
Just post "I'm in" or something along those lines.

After we get enough people in this thread, October 8th we'll be emailing our freight forwarders to give us a quote. The quote will be Guangzhou port for a 20GP Container to LA hypothetically leaving October 22nd. We can do other ports too, but I think this is a standard shipment that everyone's forwarder should be able to handle, and will be an easy quote to compare.

We'll then create a private messaging group on this forum or somewhere else, and will compare prices to see how much we're being overcharged. I'll message everyone interested as October 8th draws closer.

Why October 8th? Gives us 3 weeks to get people interested in this thread. October 1-7 is a holiday in China.

We'll all ask for the same exact quote. Then figure out by how much % we're being overcharged, or if our freight forwarder is already the best.

Always room for improvement. Doesn't hurt to share shipping costs and keep the forwarders on their toes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I have some good contacts if you wish in China that consolidate freight shipments from numerous ports.

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
I'm in. My freight forwarder is good. Did great job last shipment however, I'm looking to sharpen pencil.

Product liability is one I'dreally be interested in....

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I ship from China about 6 times a month but it's always air freight. Helpful or no?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
I ship from China about 6 times a month but it's always air freight. Helpful or no?

Thanks but I only do sea. Except for samples.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Yeah, why not?

If you get quoted too high for ocean freight, then there's a good chance that it correlates to being over quoted for air freight.

The purpose of this activity is mainly to identify the freight forwarder's margin/inefficiency. Once we identify that, we're in a better spot to: negotiate, stay with our forwarder, or seek someone better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.