• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate Cash flow: expand or pay down debt

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by MrPink, Mar 7, 2008.

1. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I was curious what the opinion on here of what to do with cash flow.

I think most on here would be for expanding, but I currently have not found any good properties and was considering paying down the mortgage. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mr. Pink

2. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,467
    Just my opinion, but I would allocate as follows:

- First, ensure that you have enough bank reserves to cover any unforeseen issues with your existing properties (what if rents drop 10% next year and vacancy rises to 20%, do you have enough in reserve to cover yourself);

- Second, pay down each of your properties to a fixed point where you are comfortable that any significant drop in your local market wouldn't put you upside-down on the properties. Depending your risk tolerance, this could be a 10% equity in each property, a 20% equity, or even a 50% equity. For me, I'd want each of my properties to have 20% equity at a minimum at all times;

- Third, figure out what your opportunities are with the cash you have on hand. Do you (or will you likely soon) have an ROI opportunity of 20%? 15%? 10%? 8%? If you can't make at least 8% on the money, then paying down your mortgages (that you're likely paying 6-8% on) is probably a good use for it. If you can reasonably make more than 8% elsewhere (or will be able to shortly), use it for other opportunities.

Again, this is just in line my personal comfort level...others may disagree...

LAbull likes this.
  3. Jeffs07

Jeffs07 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $69
    I would assume this as an internal question of risk tolerance. As JScott pointed out there are several what ifs that could occur at any moment. Consider your long term goals in relation to the risks expansion might include, epically in this market.

4. LAbull

LAbull PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $34
    What kind of debt are we talking.

Kiyosaki talks about good debt and bad debt.
    Many people share that belief. I would imagine getting rid of debt not only helps save money in the long run but adds that extra buffer for a "what if" in the future.

5. jimculler

jimculler New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $83
    I would use it for building reserves, if you dont already have an adequate supply.

Of course if you have built up liquid reserves, and a smoking deal comes along, you are in a prime position to pull the trigger.

6. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    Keep cash in hand.
    Right now, given current circumstances, having the ability to get properties without going through the financial system is better than ever.

If you pay down your mortgage and then that "great" property shows up, how can you access your funds? Once you pay down your mortgage you need to refi to get it out, and that has a cost.

Put your money in a CD making 4% if you are really actively looking for properties. The opportunity cost is too high if you have no access to your cash.

7. Sid23

Sid23 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $122
    I agree 100% with this entire post.

8. ^eagle^

^eagle^ Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $155

By holding a cash reserve couldn't you borrow against this CD you hold thereby leveraging your reserve to buy that next "golden nugget" and still have the reserve for emergencies?

9. unicon

unicon Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $86
    assuming you have positive cash flows

the general rule is that paying down debt and giving up liquidity is foolish and does not make any sense in that increases your tax liability

liquidity is needed to grow

I actually have the opposite problem of to much equity in properties which in the true sense should be refinanced

Your cash pool should be rising in taking all moneys out as soon after purchase as possible in essence a no money down deal - the ideal

throw the cash flowing property in inventory, this is optimum in simplicity

10. MrPink

MrPink Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $65
    I think not paying down debt to expand makes sense.

Not paying down debt to save on taxes does not make sense to me. I would rather not pay taxes on the property by owning it than put off owning it so I could get a tax right off.

Mr. Pink

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.