The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Car Experts - any advice?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I leased a 2006 Saab 9-3 in early 2006 and have put appox 25k miles on it since then. My brakes were making noise and I took it in last week for an estimate and then again today (2 diff places - Saab dealer and a local brake guy I trust). Both places say I need to replace my brake pads and rear routers and I'm looking at $700-1000. How is that possible with such a new car?

My lease has full warranty coverage and I understand brakes and pads are wear and tear items, but at 25,000 miles? that seems ridiculous to me.

How would you handle this situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
I find it very hard to believe that the rotors need to be replaced. I have no experience with Saab, but a rotor is a rotor, it should take quite a while for you to have to replace that. Are you sure they didn't mean resurface the rotors? When changing brake pads, it is sometimes recommended to resurface the rotors, but it isn't needed.

It's not unusual to have to change pads after 25K miles though, some wear quicker than others. I had to change my first set of pads on the Z at 20K miles.

The rotors situation sounds fishy though, I would look into taking to another shop...and NOT one that specializes in brakes. See if there is a reputable shop around that specializes in foreign cars, these are usually the best places to go for your Saab.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The rotors should be fine unless the nuts were tightened unevenly or there's some special circumstance that screwed them up. Replace the pads for $75 or so and you should be fine unless it feels a little wobbly when you use the brakes. Warranty *should* cover anything else. Remember, 80-90% of auto places will try to charge you for crap you don't need. If you in TX and wouldn't mind a little drive, my best friend has an auto shop and we could do the work for just the cost of the pads. Good luck =)

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
1000 seems high, but 700 could be more than reasonable. All depends on which brakes you have (based on which motor it has). Rotors could be shot, but you need to have them show you that they can't be "turned" and still be within specs.

Do you have vented disks? If they have cracks between the vents, they can't be turned (if they connect). The groves worn into the disks could be to deep to "turn". The pads have to get replaced as well if this is the case. Not really enough info to answer what you should really do, but hopefully this gives you a start.

hey look on the bright side, if it was a Porsche.....that grand wouldn't even cover the rotors let alone the labor and pads..........feel better :D

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
SeanS-

If the rotors are warped, or otherwise messed up, this is a realistic service expense.

Given your recent "Ahas" in financial awareness, I'm thinking that an old reliable Honda or Toyota is starting to look pretty sexy to you right now. :smxB:

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Rotors cost anywhere from $100-$300. They are fairly easy to replace yourself, but I wouldn't do it unless you have done it before or have a buddy that has.

Not to push you away, but I would try asking the Saab Forums. They should be able to help you much more then we can.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I can see this happening at 25k- especially if you drive your car hard.

To add a little to Russ's point - my brakes and rotors cost something like $200-230 for a Ford.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I moved this thread to the Off topic discussion forum.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I moved this thread to the Off topic discussion forum.

Thanks. I forgot we had this section.

Given your recent "Ahas" in financial awareness, I'm thinking that an old reliable Honda or Toyota is starting to look pretty sexy to you right now. :smxB:

My fiancee and I were discussing just how much I miss my old Honda Civic this morning as she was driving me to pick up my Saab from the shop. :smx4:

Wolfgang5150

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Orchard Park, NY
Actually that price is not bad.
A quick google shows rotors are $182 apiece.
Pads are $22-$86 depending on which ones.
Add labor - and there you go.
We need more car threads.
Kevin S.
Orchard Park, NY
Look on the really bright side - if it were a Ferrari, then you will be in for a shock

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
"That you can make the monthly payments does not necessarily mean that you can afford the car" --unknown

KyJoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 28, 2007
It would be unusal for the rear rotors to be out of spec, and not the front. Your front gets the vast majority of wear. It is of course possible. Some cars have thin rotors which don't allow for much or any turning of them. Take it to another a shop, and get it inspected. They will do it for free, and then make your decision.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I concur with KYjoe, the fronts should be the ones worn, not the rear. Maybe your rear calipers are misaligned causing the premature warping. Did you need them replaced due to warping or due to their thickness?

$700 sounds high to me unless they are doing front and rear rotors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.