The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking mentorship from local entrepreneurs on a car meetup this Sunday. Any advice?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Azrod

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 7, 2023
France
Hey guys !
i am a teenager who have an immeasurable hunger to accomplish huge thing in his life.

I've recently joined Fox Legends Program, and in it, there is a young guy who had great success from this course, he emphasize a lot on getting connected with business owner in our local area, and that's what i'm doing in 3 days.
I will also try to enter in networking meetup, it will may be a bit harder to access it but we will see how it goes.

I suppose that on a car meetup, i will mainly find individuals who want to be "shiny", but i cannot say this before approaching them.

So here my strategy for doing it.
I will first try to look at the car with the best value and also who drive it, how he looks , if he look like a confident guy, etc...

Next stage is two simple question:

First one is to make him talk about himself, my question will be " your are the owner ?[yes or no] Wow i really like your cars, but [insert question on the cars] ?"

And next step, maybe the most important one " without being indiscreet, what do you do for a living? [ if employee, then run] or [ if business owner, then enter pitch]

So here's my pitch, i will not repeat it word by word, or i will just feel like a robot
It is a translation from french so its normal some word may not have much coherence

“I admire your car, and I also admire your success in general,
if I asked you this question, it is because I consider myself an entrepreneur, I am young, I have the strong desire to achieve my greatest ambitions and therefore I asked myself the question, if it was possible to receive advice from you in entrepreneurship, if you have any know-how to share, I would be very grateful if we could discuss it over coffee”

What do you guys think? i know it is a bit of a "me first" asking, do you think i could say i own a web design agency on my first approach ?

I know that mentorship is Win-Win relationship but for now the only great offer i have in return is making great website.

Next stage would be to talk to him 1 on 1 for around 30 min, ask how his business journey was, 2 or 3 advice asked and then propose him my offer " Really grateful for you for taking time with me and the knowledge your shared with me, that is why i feel forced to give you value in exchange, i have a web design agency tadada..." But we are not there yet.

I will also continue to post on this thread for any people who have a fear to reach successful individuals, i think it could help anyone from learning my mistake!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Use a dslr camera and say “can I take some photos? Your car looks awesome”

Then you take some photos and say “love the (insert thing about their car that only a car guy would know)”.

They start talking a little about it.

Nod and smile.

“It looks great. You mind if I edit these photos and send them to you? I’m trying to get better at photography I could really use the practice” (telling them what’s in it for you erases the ‘what’s this persons angle?’ aspect to it)

“Sure!”

“Okay great let me grab your email I’ll shoot them over when I’m done editing them”

“Okay!”

Exchange info

“So what do you do (name)?”

“I own a fastlane business. We take regular lanes and make them fast and sell them”

“Oh cool. (Questions) Don’t mind all my questions I’m just interested in learning about business and you obviously know what you’re doing”

“Thanks kiddo. (Volunteers more information)”

Go from there.

You don’t want them to feel commoditized, like you looked around until you saw a sign over their head that said “rich guy” and thought “I’ll siphon information out of that person”. Does that make sense? They do not want to feel like their contact in your phone will be “Ferrari Guy”. It leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

You want to be a cool dude who met someone that was interesting (them) and you just naturally want to learn about their life and the cool stuff they know how to do because it’s interesting.

It’s a universal human emotion. It applies to friends, women, mentors, etc.

Don’t want to be a photographer? That’s fine, use any angle and pitch you want.

Not having a car makes you seem like a leech unless you have a good excuse.

“Why tf is this guy here?”

It’d be like going to a hot yoga class and not doing the yoga, just talking to the girls while they do a pose. “Wtf you’re not even in the class, creep”.

Azrod

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 7, 2023
France
Nod and smile.

“It looks great. You mind if I edit these photos and send them to you? I’m trying to get better at photography I could really use the practice” (telling them what’s in it for you erases the ‘what’s this persons angle?’ aspect to it)

“Sure!”

“Okay great let me grab your email I’ll shoot them over when I’m done editing them”

“Okay!”

Exchange info

“So what do you do (name)?”

“I own a fastlane business. We take regular lanes and make them fast and sell them”

“Oh cool. (Questions) Don’t mind all my questions I’m just interested in learning about business and you obviously know what you’re doing”

“Thanks kiddo. (Volunteers more information)”

Go from there.

You don’t want them to feel commoditized, like you looked around until you saw a sign over their head that said “rich guy” and thought “I’ll siphon information out of that person”. Does that make sense? They do not want to feel like their contact in your phone will be “Ferrari Guy”. It leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

You want to be a cool dude who met someone that was interesting (them) and you just naturally want to learn about their life and the cool stuff they know how to do because it’s interesting.

It’s a universal human emotion. It applies to friends, women, mentors, etc.

Don’t want to be a photographer? That’s fine, use any angle and pitch you want.

Not having a car makes you seem like a leech unless you have a good excuse.

“Why tf is this guy here?”

It’d be like going to a hot yoga class and not doing the yoga, just talking to the girls while they do a pose. “Wtf you’re not even in the class, creep”.
Hey Johnny, thanks you first for your response, I read some of your thread and wow, your content has been really inspiring and knowledgeable so I’m really grateful for that.

Unfortunately, I do not have any camera, I could still do it on my iPhone 8 and decrease my professionalism and that’s still okay, I will use yours and mine approach and see what works the best,

Thanks you, i still believe it’s a great idea for trying to approach those individuals ( The meetup is every first Sunday of the month, so I can still get a camera for the next time) and also for my web design business( to take picture of the enterprise, etc…).

You want to be a cool dude who met someone that was interesting (them) and you just naturally want to learn about their life

But if I want to be that cool guy who is just curious and stuff, who speak to everybody and then in my next stage with them saying I have a web design agency, they will feel (maybe I am not sure, what do you think?) it was a trick to get them to my desire?

And for your last point, hahaha don’t worry it not a private meetup ( I should say it in my first post, my bad) so there is more bystander than actual car owner, and I still have enough knowledge on cars, i can say it’s my passion, but I do not dream it every day like everyone, I do what will get me the cars.

I think at that point, I have been overthinking it too much and I just need to talk to those guy and see what they say, learn from my mistake and then find the best approach.

Fariz Tariq

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 1, 2024
Hey guys !
i am a teenager who have an immeasurable hunger to accomplish huge thing in his life.

I've recently joined Fox Legends Program, and in it, there is a young guy who had great success from this course, he emphasize a lot on getting connected with business owner in our local area, and that's what i'm doing in 3 days.
I will also try to enter in networking meetup, it will may be a bit harder to access it but we will see how it goes.

I suppose that on a car meetup, i will mainly find individuals who want to be "shiny", but i cannot say this before approaching them.

So here my strategy for doing it.
I will first try to look at the car with the best value and also who drive it, how he looks , if he look like a confident guy, etc...

Next stage is two simple question:

First one is to make him talk about himself, my question will be " your are the owner ?[yes or no] Wow i really like your cars, but [insert question on the cars] ?"

And next step, maybe the most important one " without being indiscreet, what do you do for a living? [ if employee, then run] or [ if business owner, then enter pitch]

So here's my pitch, i will not repeat it word by word, or i will just feel like a robot
It is a translation from french so its normal some word may not have much coherence

“I admire your car, and I also admire your success in general,
if I asked you this question, it is because I consider myself an entrepreneur, I am young, I have the strong desire to achieve my greatest ambitions and therefore I asked myself the question, if it was possible to receive advice from you in entrepreneurship, if you have any know-how to share, I would be very grateful if we could discuss it over coffee”

What do you guys think? i know it is a bit of a "me first" asking, do you think i could say i own a web design agency on my first approach ?

I know that mentorship is Win-Win relationship but for now the only great offer i have in return is making great website.

Next stage would be to talk to him 1 on 1 for around 30 min, ask how the journey was, 2 or 3 advice asked and then propose him my offer " Really grateful for you for taking time with me and the knowledge your shared with me, that is why i feel forced to give you value in exchange, i have a web design agency tadada..." But we are not there yet.

I will also continue to post on this thread for any people who have a fear to reach successful individuals, i think it could help anyone from learning my mistake!
Your approach is solid! A few quick tips:

1. Stay genuinely interested in their cars.
  2. Tailor your pitch based on their response.
  3. Be confident, even as a teenager.
  4. Emphasize your eagerness to learn.
  5. Mention your web design agency as a value-offering opportunity. Keep it concise, and best of luck at the meetup!

Azrod

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 7, 2023
France
Sh*t @Johnny boy, you was right.

They feel like i was a leech, I tried not to be that type of guy, but it was hard, I couldn’t be natural asking specific question about cars, we could see its was not my best domain

It’s funny when I was all week thinking confidently how I will reach those guys.

I am naturally confident overall in life but speaking about a thing I know only 30% of it, it become a bit hard hahaha

But it doesn’t matter if I failed, I believe I’ve really stepped out of my comfort zone and I consider it still a progress.

I try find other way to reach those indiviuals this week and I will notify you of my progress.

Azrod

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 7, 2023
France

I may have found a mentor....​

Hey everyone ! It's been approximately 1 month since the last time I updated this thread, I'm here to tell you my progress !

I've been quite busy with an important exam in school,
I’ve also had to fight my addiction with social media that has made me procrastinate for 2 / 3 weeks during this period.

I know that it can last a bit of time to cure an addiction that has been with me for multiple years and i try my best to do so and have the most amount of productive day possible.

For the mentor, I may have found one.

Instead of searching for one anywhere I could,
i remembered last week a conversation from months ago with my dad about the news he had from a distant cousin of our family, he is basically now a self-made entrepreneur.

From what I've heard, he started his venture by owning a souvenir shop on one of the most tourist islands in France around the times of 2010/15. He then sold it ( I presume he did) and launched a company (I don't know more about it).

He now runs multiple companies in a city 3 hours from mine and also rents many Airbnb in my city.

I know…. I should have thought about him the instant I questioned myself about how to find a mentor. It seems really quite obvious now.

So the next step this week is to contact him, which I could easily do by asking her mom his number. I don't know her well either but it could still be done easily.

I will then ask him to meet up one day if he is in town.

And that's it, will see how it goes after..

@Johnny boy (mentioning you because i thought you may be curious about my progress)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Odds of finding a mentor and it ends up being someone pitching you a pyramid scheme are probably 8/10 lol

Azrod

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 7, 2023
France
Odds of finding a mentor and it ends up being someone pitching you a pyramid scheme are probably 8/10 lol
I hope to be in that 2/10 odds then haha.
But from what I've heard he really seems to be legitimate.

To add on, i found a great reason to contact business owner.
I have an oral to do at school where i analyze the strategy of an enterprise.
The business need to be local, and i thought why not contact them for 15 minute call to ask question for my subject and then 3 days later, i could ask for a quick meetup and then go from this....

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
YEPPPPPP. I met someone a few years back that I knew and they introduced me to their 'mentor' and apparently he could mentor me to, and it was a bullshit pyramid scheme they were trying to sell me. People have no shame.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.