The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

can't come to a decision on s-corp or llc.. help

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
guys

ive got money coming in from a few projects ive agreed to do, and im at the point where i don't know how to set up my company.

what i do is consult businesses and help with their marketing. i've already earned several thousand dollars, but i dont know how exactly to set my company up for taxation purposes.

what i'm looking to do, is use my pretax $$ to invest and start other business'.

i dont need the money that my business is generating, as i have more than enough in my savings.

by the end of this year i should have around $110-120k NET profit.
with this money, i would like to invest the entire amount into 2 other business', which consists of: buying a laundromat for sale, and buying a 50% share of a medical supply company

ive spoken to a few lawyers and accountants, and i'm being told different things.
i'de like to do an llc with an s corp taxation, but i dont want to pay myself a salary (which an s corp requires)

so how do i structure this entity ? the consulting business has nothing to do with a laundromat.... i guess i'm looking to form a business that starts more buisiness' (not sure if that came out right)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Steve,
Did you and I talk recently about your structure? Not sure if it was you, but I had a call recently from someone in a similar situation looking to set up their legal structure. I remember speaking to someone about a laundromat. If not...

To be sure, you can get different answers because there is multiple ways of achieving this. Ultimately though, I would need to know the types of businesses and what is your desired outcome. Without this, I can only offer generalized advice.

An LLC is likely your best bet. If you are earning $120k/yr, why wouldn't you pay yourself a minimal salary? You do eat and live indoors, right? (jk). You can have your LLC taxed as a partnership (default status) or elect S-corp tax status. If you have earned income as opposed to passive income, this would be your best option as it will save you on the dreaded 15.3% self-employment tax.

You only pay the 15.3% on your salary, not on total profits like in a partnership. If you earn $100k and you are taxed as a partnership, you will pay $15,300 in self employment tax. If you are taxed as an S-corp and you pay youself a salary of $50k, you only pay the 15.3% on the $50k saving you nearly $8k in taxes.

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
nope it wasnt me

but the reason i wouldnt pay myself a salary is because i'de like to invest as much as possible into a new business with pretax dollars

also, just so you know, i do NOT have a partner... .
i own 100% of my company

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
also
In New York City, S-corporations are subject to the full corporate income tax at a 8.85% rate. However if the S-corporation can demonstrate that a portion of its business was done outside the city, that portion will not be subject to the additional tax.
[edit]

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
pay yourself minimal salary. if you already have another source of income, and you are paying yourself $3000 a month, that's $36k a year. that's reasonable salary. for a $100k yr business. how much tax are you going to pay on $36k? you are going to pay taxes either way. IANAL, IANAA (I'm not a laywer, I'm not an accountant)

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but maybe the answer to this might help your decision:

I am being told different things as well. From what I have been told S-Corps are not taxed on money sitting in the bank. (but I have also been told that this is not correct, I hope it is because I didn't pay any sort of taxes on that money from my s-corp)

So if S-Corps are not taxed on money sitting in the bank, why not pay yourself a minimal salary like they are saying and sit on that money until you decide to invest in those others?

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
^i dont know
thats what im trying to find out
it's so frustrating because maybe im over analying things, but this is unbelievably frustrating

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Dude, if you're netting $100k+ a year, you should HIRE an expert (maybe GlobalWealth) to advise you with issues like this, rather than taking advice from random people on an internet forum.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but seriously, leave important matters like this to experts that can develop a specific liability / tax strategy for your ENTIRE business(es).

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Get professional help. If not, go with LLC :seeya:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
IRS has been cracking down hard on corps that pay their members too litle, as they know this is a way to avoid paying some taxes. The idea is to pay a compensation that is reasonable for the effort and in the same range as the market rates.

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
^ the irs is cracking down on people who pay them selves too little, and take a chunk as distribution, to avoid paying payroll/medicaid tax

im not looking to pay myself EITHER
i just want to reinvest the money.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
^ the irs is cracking down on people who pay them selves too little, and take a chunk as distribution, to avoid paying payroll/medicaid tax

im not looking to pay myself EITHER
i just want to reinvest the money.

But regardless you are still avoiding paying taxes which is the issue. S corps you must pay yourself. LLCs you do not.

Kacey - The funny thing is that I have two CPAs for my stuff and they contradict each other! Even though you're paying for advice, you might not get the answer you need :smxB:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
You need to build your team. Keep searching until you find an accountant you like that is familer with the kinds of business you are doing.

This is the kind of question your team members need to help you with.

On this site we can only realy give you general advice.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
Steve K, how did you come to your decision.

One VERY IMPORTANT point not yet made in this thread is thus:

To determine what corporate structure would benefit you most, you must FIRST determine EXIT STRATEGY.

In many ventures, you make money when you buy.

In business you SAVE on expenses and taxes when you BEGIN.

If you plan on selling the company entirely in three years, or plan on selling stock in five years, or plan on passing real estate onto your heirs, these may all require different startup/finance/INCORPORATION strategies.

Plan the work then work the plan, as always.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.