The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I setup an S-CORP for rental/investing (stock trading) business

rysmbu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 4, 2021
I am thinking of setting up S-Corp and have few questions.

Expected Business activities :
1) Rental business for property to be owned by the S-Corp
Revenue : 20K approx.
Income after expense will be less than 14K
2) Investment / Stock Market Trading

Questions
  1. Is Rental business and Investing considered purely a passive Income activity
  2. Can I take all Rental Income as distributions without paying myself a salary
  3. If I need to pay myself salary, what should be the guidelines
  4. If I have a Trade windfall and have capital gains of 50-100K in a year, can all be taken as distribution after taxes
  5. What is the probability that IRS will look at this setup and impose fines and cancel S-Corp election, if there is ZERO payroll taxes

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@CareCPA might be able to help, otherwise you need a lawyer/accountant combo.

What is the probability that IRS will look at this setup and impose fines and cancel S-Corp election, if there is ZERO payroll taxe

If you show decent profits and ZERO salary (hence, ZERO payroll taxes) then I'd say there is a decent chance for an IRS peek. My accountant said I needed to pay myself a salary that is of fair market value.

If I have a Trade windfall and have capital gains of 50-100K in a year, can all be taken as distribution after taxes

In a non-operating entity, I think any such gains are taxed at your marginal rates, assuming those gains are Short Term. I'm not an accountaint, just trying to remember the conversations I had with my own personal accountant.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
for #2 I've always been told that's a bad idea and best to take the profits out and do it personally. Especially for an S-corp since it all flows to you personally anyways.

C-Corp that may more sense but that may change if C corp tax rates go up.

A better way to shield taxes for investing is usually is set up a Solo 401(k). Which in 2021 can be a maximum of $58,000/year ($64,500 if age 50 or over).

That has many requirements including a high income flowing to you personally but it's a great deal as a biz owner.

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
This doesn't make any sense.
One of the main benefits of an S Corp is avoiding self-employment/FICA tax on earnings above your "reasonable salary."
Rental income is not subject to self-employment tax.
Capital gains are not subject to self-employment tax.

Why would you setup an S Corp (or, more correctly, an LLC or Corporation taxed as an S Corp) if there is no tax benefit?

In any S Corp, if you take zero salary and take it all as distributions, you will eventually hear from the IRS. It may take a couple years, but they'll notice. It's one of the main audit points recently.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...