The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you start an internet business catering to a different country from where you are?

WolfofWallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 24, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
So I just started my journey as a freelance copywriter with a goal to earn money and skills, and then leverage that to start a fastlane business.

But I can't help but wonder how it'll play out on the long run...

My clients are Americans. My target market --the copy I write for clients-- are targeted at Americans. Would it be possible to start an internet business with the target demographics being Americans?

How does that work out. Are there specific requirements (legal, paperwork)?

Because all of the people I'm communicating with are Americans. And so I'm thinking on the long run, I might want to partner with some of the people I meet to start a business or just go on my own and create something for the demographics I've studied and written offers for for clients.

What are your thoughts? How does it work?

Maybe the answers are obvious, but they aren't to me right now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
So I just started my journey as a freelance copywriter with a goal to earn money and skills, and then leverage that to start a fastlane business.

But I can't help but wonder how it'll play out on the long run...

My clients are Americans. My target market --the copy I write for clients-- are targeted at Americans. Would it be possible to start an internet business with the target demographics being Americans?

How does that work out. Are there specific requirements (legal, paperwork)?

Because all of the people I'm communicating with are Americans. And so I'm thinking on the long run, I might want to partner with some of the people I meet to start a business or just go on my own and create something for the demographics I've studied and written offers for for clients.

What are your thoughts? How does it work?

Maybe the answers are obvious, but they aren't to me right now.

Just go for it! I'm based in the UK and am targeting US clients currently. They won't care where you are based, as long as you can prove that you can provide value for them.

Read through some of the GOLD threads on here, and look for clues about giving value in cold emails/calls - for you it could be something like rewriting the copy on the first page of their website for free, and sending it over to them. From there you can establish a conversation and eventually lead to a sales call.

Another example would be signing up to their email list (if they have one), looking at the emails they send out, and sending an email to the founder showing how you rewrote one of their cold emails for higher conversions.

Remember, the most important thing here is giving massive value. Working hard to deliver free, personalised value in cold emails for example will set you massively ahead of the competition, and make you stand out as someone who actually took the time to research and look into your prospect and his business.

WolfofWallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 24, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
Just go for it! I'm based in the UK and am targeting US clients currently. They won't care where you are based, as long as you can prove that you can provide value for them.

Read through some of the GOLD threads on here, and look for clues about giving value in cold emails/calls - for you it could be something like rewriting the copy on the first page of their website for free, and sending it over to them. From there you can establish a conversation and eventually lead to a sales call.

Another example would be signing up to their email list (if they have one), looking at the emails they send out, and sending an email to the founder showing how you rewrote one of their cold emails for higher conversions.

Remember, the most important thing here is giving massive value. Working hard to deliver free, personalised value in cold emails for example will set you massively ahead of the competition, and make you stand out as someone who actually took the time to research and look into your prospect and his business.
Sounds like a plan. But i think you misunderstood my question though...

I was asking about the paperwork or legal requirements needed to run a business that provides services/products for American clients when you're not American. I'm thinking long-term.

And as for your client acquisition strategy, how's that working out for you?

My current strategy is to write email lifts for promotions run by financial publishers and then offer it for free. And then tell them if they like it I can write more for them. I've gotten one client, looking to get more.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My business is registered in Ireland. All my paperwork and taxes are paid in Ireland.

I have clients in Ireland, the UK, and the US. I sometimes have clients in Australia, Canada, and South Africa.

I put VAT of 23% on invoices to Irish companies. My accountant advises me on what to put on invoices to other countries given I provide a service.

Adding VAT when selling courses to people in different countries got complicated so I just take the hit on the VAT.

Speak to a local accountant.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WolfofWallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 24, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
My business is registered in Ireland. All my paperwork and taxes are paid in Ireland.

I have clients in Ireland, the UK, and the US. I sometimes have clients in Australia, Canada, and South Africa.

I put VAT of 23% on invoices to Irish companies. My accountant advises me on what to put on invoices to other countries given I provide a services. Adding VAT when selling courses to people in different countries got complicated so I just take the hit on the VAT.

Speak to a local accountant.
Okay, that makes sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.