The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying to rent in Rome, Italy. Cash flow at 0, your thoughts?

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Hi,

Real estate is not my main focus, as I'm in IT, but last year I bought a 65 sq meter (700 sq foot) apartment in Rome, which is where I live, to rent, and I'd like to share my experience so far, both to give back a little to the forum, and because I'd be glad to receive some feedback on it.

I know this is rather specific, but it might be helpful for people buying in relatively expensive areas, as the reasoning behind the investment may be the same for other areas as well.
I'll start with the end, and then explain how I got there: the cost of the apartment was 130,000$ (it was in Euro, but I've converted all numbers in USD for ease of reading), and it's generating 10,800$ rent income yearly so far. Incredibly enough, this equals to (almost) 0 yearly cash flow. I still think this was a decent investment, but I'm curious on your thoughts about it, and whether you think it's worth repeating.

Some background

At this time, the interest rate for a fixed rate mortgage from a bank in Italy (should be similar all over Europe) is approximately 1.5 to 1.6%, all inclusive. Which in my opinion is unreasonably low and bound to change sooner or later. Banks tend to give a maximum of 80% of the value of the apartment you buy at this rate, and you need to demonstrate that the installment is less than 1/3 of your income.
Taxes in Italy average at over 43%, one of the highest in the world (see this link for a comparison with other countries in Europe: Comparison image). I know it's crazy.
Taxation on housing and rent income is relatively low: you pay a fixed 21% of your rental, and it does not add up to your personal income.
After 5 years you buy real estate, you can sell it without paying any tax on any gain you make.
All expenses and taxes are paid when you buy, and not when you sell. This includes agent fees, which average at 3 to 4%. I know this is different in most countries.
In 2008 housing in Rome reached its peak, since then it lost approximately 30% of its value. The average sqm price today is approximately 3400$ per square meter, but it may vary a lot based in the area where you buy.

The story (short version)

I wanted to invest approximately 50k $, and I thought that a good way to do so would be approaching real estate close to where I live. The main obstacle here is that the fork between rent and cost of an apartment is very low. It's considered acceptable that a house costing 100$ only generates 3$ with rent. But since I believe that real estate is one of the safest investments I looked better, and found an area where average costs where much lower than in many other parts of the city. I'd define it as a blue collar area, very safe, and very well connected by public transport: you can walk to the nearest metro station in 5 minutes, and from there it's 20 minutes to the main station (Termini) and 5 minutes more to the Colosseum.

After looking for several weeks, visiting many apartments, I found the perfect fit: it was incredibly dirty, literally stinking, and had furniture you can find in an horror B-movie.
But it also had a nice open view from the windows, was in a decent building, and had two large rooms (20 sqm), a small corridor, a kitchen and a toilet. And the price was VERY low, less than 2200$ per sqm.

What everyone should know but very few people do, is that the cost of works in a house varies very little even if they look terrible. If you redo the kitchen the cost is exactly the same whatever the initial state.

After further reducing the asked price by about 10%, I could buy it for 130,000 $.

Paying all taxes, agency, and works for the house, the final cost went up to about 150,000 $, which I prudently assume would be what I’d make if I sold it today, as the works literally transformed it into a nice place to live.

I decided to rent it by room, so I now have two tenants, paying approximately 450$ per month, plus all bills (electricity, water, gas etc). This is a bit more than what I’d get by renting the whole apartment, but probably less than I’d get with Airbnb or similar.

It’s also worth noting that since putting the announcement, each room was rented within 48 hours. This really surprised me.

Anyway, I got a mortgage, to be paid back in 20 years. The remaining 47,000 dollars, I paid cash.

Long story short: if I consider the mortgage installments, including capital an expense, the cash flow I get is approximately 0, but if I consider the capital to be a gain, I get an interesting 11% return on my 47,000 expense.

You’ll find all the numbers in the Excel file I attached.

I cannot foresee the future, but I’ve made a few assumptions, that cover a “normal case” scenario. The best case is much better, the worst case is simple: I lose everything (earthquake, the communists take the power, aliens destroy Rome…)

• The value of the apartment will not change in the next years, but it will cover inflation.
  • The apartment will be empty approximately 1 month per year
  • The rent will stay the same, covering inflation
  • As everything important is brand new, there won’t be huge expenses to make for repairs.

In the Excel file you’ll find all the numbers: taxes, mortgage etc. It may be useful for people considering investing in real estate in a similar situation. I've simplified things a little, especially on interest, but it should give a good approximation of the real thing.

I’m also very curious about what you think: does it make sense for you to consolidate your earnings? Personally, I'd do it again, as it seems relatively easy and risk free.

Thanks for your time

Ubu Roi

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• flat_eng.xlsx
    11.1 KB · Views: 13

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
what are the rental terms for the current tenants and what city is it in? could you do like...a hostel? or daily rentals like airbnb in the US?

Because I imagine something will come up and you'll have to plow money back into this thing so you're not really breaking even, why have an asset that isnt an asset? You could have made more than 11% on 47k doing...idk street vending right?

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Hi @MHP368,

We have airbnb here and it's powerful, so much that hotels are complaining A LOT. In Florence 18% of all properties are on Airbnb (source: Charlemagne: the backlash against Airbnb), and I could probably make twice what I make now from the apartment, but it would require some work, and the goal of this side business is having some passive (as passive as possible) low risk income.

So the real question is: would you invest in a property that gives you 0 cash flow for 10-15-20 years, but meanwhile pays for itself in that period? Or do you think there are other, more rewarding ways of semi-passive, low risk investment?

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
A site you may benefit from (rent out apartment rooms in Europe, like AirBnB for long term) - spotahome.com

In terms of investing into property, I have no experience. But what you're talking about isn't fastlane (can't scale it).

If you wanted to make it "fastlane", you'd use the apartments as part of a larger business. For example, if you had a camgirl studio, buying apartments for the models and extracting rent from their earnings would benefit all involved; the girls get a safe, below-market-rate place to stay, you get to keep tabs on them & they'll pay the apartments off for you.

Whether you should repeat the transaction is up to you. All I will say is that I believe property to be a poor man's investment. Whilst relatively low risk, growth is restricted due to cashflow & location constraints, and there are a number of factors which will impede your profits (interest/market fluctuations, overheads, taxes etc).

I would put any extra money into a product and use the buying of property as a means to protect any wealth that product creates (similar to the camgirl situation above). But I'm not you, so can't really comment.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Hi @rpeck90 ,

thanks for the link: didn't know this service and will try it as soon as one of the rooms will be free.

<quote>
I would put any extra money into a product and use the buying of property as a means to protect any wealth that product creates (similar to the camgirl situation above). But I'm not you, so can't really comment.
</quote>

Yep, that's what I'm actually trying to do: investing the income I get from my main businesses as a software developer (which at this time doesn't need great investments) into real estate as a way to protect it, and possibly grow it with very little work.

dankoIE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 18, 2018
Milan
I am in similar situation, but I am going to buy an appartment in Milan only in the cashflow is at least 100euro for month..so 1200euro for year.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If it doesn’t bother you too much to drop the 50k it seems like a decent deal. Rome is a cool city and should always be in high demand.

Do you mind me asking how you got this mortgage? You have been living there for a while or once you had the 50k the banks were okay to deal with?

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
If it doesn’t bother you too much to drop the 50k it seems like a decent deal. Rome is a cool city and should always be in high demand.

Do you mind me asking how you got this mortgage? You have been living there for a while or once you had the 50k the banks were okay to deal with?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Rome is where I live and work, so it was easy for me to provide income documentation.
Banks in Italy tend to be very conservative when lending money. I don't know exactly the rules when you do not live in Italy, but I'm planning to buy another apartment in Milan shortly, with a friend of mine who lives abroad, so I'll be able to tell you what banks will ask him in the next few weeks.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Rome is where I live and work, so it was easy for me to provide income documentation.
Banks in Italy tend to be very conservative when lending money. I don't know exactly the rules when you do not live in Italy, but I'm planning to buy another apartment in Milan shortly, with a friend of mine who lives abroad, so I'll be able to tell you what banks will ask him in the next few weeks.

Cool. You’re Italian or American?

Eurotraveler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 14, 2023
Hi,

Real estate is not my main focus, as I'm in IT, but last year I bought a 65 sq meter (700 sq foot) apartment in Rome, which is where I live, to rent, and I'd like to share my experience so far, both to give back a little to the forum, and because I'd be glad to receive some feedback on it.

I know this is rather specific, but it might be helpful for people buying in relatively expensive areas, as the reasoning behind the investment may be the same for other areas as well.
I'll start with the end, and then explain how I got there: the cost of the apartment was 130,000$ (it was in Euro, but I've converted all numbers in USD for ease of reading), and it's generating 10,800$ rent income yearly so far. Incredibly enough, this equals to (almost) 0 yearly cash flow. I still think this was a decent investment, but I'm curious on your thoughts about it, and whether you think it's worth repeating.

Some background

At this time, the interest rate for a fixed rate mortgage from a bank in Italy (should be similar all over Europe) is approximately 1.5 to 1.6%, all inclusive. Which in my opinion is unreasonably low and bound to change sooner or later. Banks tend to give a maximum of 80% of the value of the apartment you buy at this rate, and you need to demonstrate that the installment is less than 1/3 of your income.
Taxes in Italy average at over 43%, one of the highest in the world (see this link for a comparison with other countries in Europe: Comparison image). I know it's crazy.
Taxation on housing and rent income is relatively low: you pay a fixed 21% of your rental, and it does not add up to your personal income.
After 5 years you buy real estate, you can sell it without paying any tax on any gain you make.
All expenses and taxes are paid when you buy, and not when you sell. This includes agent fees, which average at 3 to 4%. I know this is different in most countries.
In 2008 housing in Rome reached its peak, since then it lost approximately 30% of its value. The average sqm price today is approximately 3400$ per square meter, but it may vary a lot based in the area where you buy.

I wanted to invest approximately 50k $, and I thought that a good way to do so would be approaching real estate close to where I live. The main obstacle here is that the fork between rent and cost of an apartment is very low. It's considered acceptable that a house costing 100$ only generates 3$ with rent. But since I believe that real estate is one of the safest investments I looked better, and found an area where average costs where much lower than in many other parts of the city. I'd define it as a blue collar area, very safe, and very well connected by public transport: you can walk to the nearest metro station in 5 minutes, and from there it's 20 minutes to the main station (Termini) and 5 minutes more to the Colosseum.

After looking for several weeks, visiting many apartments, I found the perfect fit: it was incredibly dirty, literally stinking, and had furniture you can find in an horror B-movie.
But it also had a nice open view from the windows, was in a decent building, and had two large rooms (20 sqm), a small corridor, a kitchen and a toilet. And the price was VERY low, less than 2200$ per sqm.

What everyone should know but very few people do, is that the cost of works in a house varies very little even if they look terrible. If you redo the kitchen the cost is exactly the same whatever the initial state.

After further reducing the asked price by about 10%, I could buy it for 130,000 $.

Paying all taxes, agency, and works for the house, the final cost went up to about 150,000 $, which I prudently assume would be what I’d make if I sold it today, as the works literally transformed it into a nice place to live.

I decided to rent it by room, so I now have two tenants, paying approximately 450$ per month, plus all bills (electricity, water, gas etc). This is a bit more than what I’d get by renting the whole apartment, but probably less than I’d get with Airbnb or similar.

It’s also worth noting that since putting the announcement, each room was rented within 48 hours. This really surprised me.

Anyway, I got a mortgage, to be paid back in 20 years. The remaining 47,000 dollars, I paid cash.

Long story short: if I consider the mortgage installments, including capital an expense, the cash flow I get is approximately 0, but if I consider the capital to be a gain, I get an interesting 11% return on my 47,000 expense.

I cannot foresee the future, but I’ve made a few assumptions, that cover a “normal case” scenario. The best case is much better, the worst case is simple: I lose everything (earthquake, the communists take the power, aliens destroy Rome…)

• The value of the apartment will not change in the next years, but it will cover inflation.
  • As everything important is brand new, there won’t be huge expenses to make for repairs.

In the Excel file you’ll find all the numbers: taxes, mortgage etc. It may be useful for people considering investing in real estate in a similar situation. I've simplified things a little, especially on interest, but it should give a good approximation of the real thing.

I’m also very curious about what you think: does it make sense for you to consolidate your earnings? Personally, I'd do it again, as it seems relatively easy and risk free.

Thanks for your time

Ubu Roi
@Ubu Roi
Which
Hi,

Some background

Thanks for your time

Ubu Roi
@ Ubu Roi Hi, in which neighborhood in Rome did you buy? Do you rent to one person or more than 1? I was thinkung about doing a similar investment and I was wondering which model of renting you chose.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
@Ubu Roi
Which

@ Ubu Roi Hi, in which neighborhood in Rome did you buy? Do you rent to one person or more than 1? I was thinkung about doing a similar investment and I was wondering which model of renting you chose.
Hi @Eurotraveler,

I bought in Montesacro.

Taxes are relatively low on rents, so I only pay 10% on the gross income through the "canone concordato" scheme. The downsides are that you cannot deduct any cost, including mortgage costs, and you cannot raise the rent for 3 years. The great thing is this does not add to your personal income. So it's 10%, and nothing else.

The apartment in this thread is currently rented to 2 different people (one room each). Later this year one of the two people will probably take the whole apartment. This will slightly decrease the rent, but as this person has been a great tenant I'm more than happy to make this happen.

Since writing this, I repeated the same with another apartment (same area), and I'm taking a third (very small) apartment again in February. I consider this a good way to defend your wealth, but it's certainly not a fastlane business ;-)

Eurotraveler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 14, 2023
Hi @Eurotraveler,

I bought in Montesacro.

Taxes are relatively low on rents, so I only pay 10% on the gross income through the "canone concordato" scheme. The downsides are that you cannot deduct any cost, including mortgage costs, and you cannot raise the rent for 3 years. The great thing is this does not add to your personal income. So it's 10%, and nothing else.

The apartment in this thread is currently rented to 2 different people (one room each). Later this year one of the two people will probably take the whole apartment. This will slightly decrease the rent, but as this person has been a great tenant I'm more than happy to make this happen.

Since writing this, I repeated the same with another apartment (same area), and I'm taking a third (very small) apartment again in February. I consider this a good way to defend your wealth, but it's certainly not a fastlane business ;-)
Thank you so much for the extra information, It is really helpful. I will see, maybe in the next months I will do something similar. Did you take advantage of one of the renewing schemes that are available now from the italian government, like bonus ristrutturazione nd such? Was it a problem that the flat was not close to any metro? You mentioned it didn't take long to find a tenant, so I guess it wasn't a big issue.

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
Thank you so much for the extra information, It is really helpful. I will see, maybe in the next months I will do something similar. Did you take advantage of one of the renewing schemes that are available now from the italian government, like bonus ristrutturazione nd such? Was it a problem that the flat was not close to any metro? You mentioned it didn't take long to find a tenant, so I guess it wasn't a big issue.
Hi @Eurotraveler,
There are actually 2 Metro stations in Montesacro: Conca d'oro and Jonio (B1 line). There is also the Nomentana rail station (FL1 regional line) and Libia is close to Nomentana.

I believe this is very important when looking for a flat, especially for students or young workers who do not have a car.
Unfortunately I could not access any renewing scheme (not for lack of will).

Best!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.