The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy a float tank. Change your life.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just got done with my second float. I did not fall asleep this time. I was tired before I went in so I thought I would easily fall asleep. But I just floated for an hour. I haven't felt any deep relaxation or my mind going anywhere. For me it was basically me thinking for an hour in the dark. On my next one I'm going to try an audio book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On my next one I'm going to try an audio book.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? You're supposed to have zero sensory stimulation while trying to silence your mind.

Hmmmph, meditation training, you need.

article-1318093-0B803914000005DC-954_306x423.jpg

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Doesn't that defeat the purpose? You're supposed to have zero sensory stimulation while trying to silence your mind.

If I remember right, Joe Rogan also talked about using float tanks as a way to have super focus / for learning.

[HASHTAG]#FastlaneIdea[/HASHTAG]

It could be another use. Someone just might make it happen. Another idea because of the reference to Star Wars. One part I always remembered was when Luke was floating in a tank for recovering. I'm not sure if it'd be useful for any condition vs. a bed. But if it could serve a use, it could be used in specialty hospitals (if it doesn't already exist).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Yeah but that isn't working for me. I think of stuff the whole time. So I hope a fiction book will get my imagination going.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
If I remember right, Joe Rogan also talked about using float tanks as a way to have super focus / for learning.

[HASHTAG]#FastlaneIdea[/HASHTAG]

It could be another use. Someone just might make it happen. Another idea because of the reference to Star Wars. One part I always remembered was when Luke was floating in a tank for recovering. I'm not sure if it'd be useful for any condition vs. a bed. But if it could serve a use, it could be used in specialty hospitals (if it doesn't already exist).
Athletes use it for accelerated recuperation after training.
This would speed up healing process

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Yeah but that isn't working for me. I think of stuff the whole time. So I hope a fiction book will get my imagination going.

Thats ok. Your mind will eventually quit and quiet down the inner chatter.

Try every once in a while to meditate in the tank by repeating a word(Google online) repeatedly and slowly/mindfully over and over again but not forcefully. Then when your mind wanders to thought ..gently bring it back to that mantra. Do this for the first 20 min in the tank or longer...
Maybe look up mantra type meditations
I recommend this over the audiobook.
Give it a try.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

What is the purpose?

Often they are mutually exclusive and easily conflated:

Self-Empowerment = improve your "self", increase ability to impose your will on the world
Self-Actualization = find your "self", find your effortless place in the world
Spiritual-Enlightenment = lose your “self”, become the world

You already know about self-empowerment, you wrote a book on it. You can treat mind relaxation as another tool in that toolbox. Along with positive-affirmations, game plans, weighted decision matrices, self-hypnosis, etc. Nothing wrong with that. While relaxing, you would focus on specific problems, often with the "you". Quit smoking, lose-weight, etc.

arnold-schwarzenegger-1920x1080.jpg

For self-actualization, while relaxing you would be more aware of your feelings and assumptions about "you", as opposed to the specifics or mechanics. You might decide to make drastic life-changes. Feed the homeless. Change your environment. Move to Arizona, etc.

Buckminster Fuller for example:

http://www.theutopian.net/2013/09/19/r-buckminster-fullers-egocide/

"...he reasoned that if he was on the right track, he would be provided for, and therefore he decided to never do anything just for money. So he went ahead with a complete faith that the Universe would see to his and his family’s needs. He soon discovered that this was always the case when he was on the right track..."

483069_10151392953105155_924133154_n.jpg

If you are interested in spiritual-enlightenment, and want your tank experience to be like Eastern meditation, I would suggest the approach that Zen Buddhists take. Don't fight your thoughts, or encourage them. Let them come and go, as they wish. Just float. Experience being without thinking or doing. If you experience this often enough, you will gain some insights in to the nature of "you", and in to the "you" of nature.

Alan-Watts-quote.jpg

Last edited:

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
What is the purpose?

Often they are mutually exclusive and easily conflated:

Self-Empowerment = improve your "self", increase ability to impose your will on the world
Self-Actualization = find your "self", find your effortless place in the world
Spiritual-Enlightenment = lose your “self”, become the world

You already know about self-empowerment, you wrote a book on it. You can treat mind relaxation as another tool in that toolbox. Along with positive-affirmations, game plans, weighted decision matrices, self-hypnosis, etc. Nothing wrong with that. While relaxing, you would focus on specific problems, often with the "you". Quit smoking, lose-weight, etc.

arnold-schwarzenegger-1920x1080.jpg

For self-actualization, while relaxing you would be more aware of your feelings and assumptions about "you", as opposed to the specifics or mechanics. You might decide to make drastic life-changes. Feed the homeless. Change your environment. Move to Arizona, etc.

Buckminster Fuller for example:

http://www.theutopian.net/2013/09/19/r-buckminster-fullers-egocide/

"...he reasoned that if he was on the right track, he would be provided for, and therefore he decided to never do anything just for money. So he went ahead with a complete faith that the Universe would see to his and his family’s needs. He soon discovered that this was always the case when he was on the right track..."

483069_10151392953105155_924133154_n.jpg

If you are interested in spiritual-enlightenment, and want your tank experience to be like Eastern meditation, I would suggest the approach that Zen Buddhists take. Don't fight your thoughts, or encourage them. Let them come and go, as they wish. Just float. Experience being without thinking or doing. If you experience this often enough, you will gain some insights in to the nature of "you", and in to the "you" of nature.

Alan-Watts-quote.jpg

Agreed.

But I think listening to a audio fiction book as @biophase is thinking of doing may not be as constructive as what you have mentioned/outlined above.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Has anyone here had a psychedelic experience in the float tank sober yet?

Today was my 4th float. Will float again Monday and probably every day next week.

I've been meditating for a while so I KNOW what to do in a tank.

Someone who doesn't know shit about meditation wont know what to do in the tank and will most likely find it "just relaxing" even though it's so much more than that. Or they have the "are you supposed to think about nothing?" mentality in their head from a lack of mediation knowledge and experience.

But right now I'm not seeing a big difference in the tank and meditating without the tank.

The whole reason I'm doing the tank is to have a psychedelic experience, see other perspectives of reality you couldn't see before, etc.

G

Guest14692

Duncan Trussell has used Rogans tank quite a bit and I heard him talk about this product on a podcast and he really enjoyed it.

http://www.zenfloatco.com/

Affordable Float Tank!

I really think I could benefit greatly from one of these.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Duncan Trussell has used Rogans tank quite a bit and I heard him talk about this product on a podcast and he really enjoyed it.

http://www.zenfloatco.com/

Affordable Float Tank!

I really think I could benefit greatly from one of these.

If you see my initial posts I recommended against the zen tent for now. Even on the zen float tanks own forum boards you see people really struggling to keep the tank clean because of its general bad design.

I not sure if this is "only" because of undersized filter actions system or something more.

Scores of people complaining about how high maintenance and difficult this zen float tent is.

I actually ordered one and cancelled same day after reading the reviews. Thank god they are a good company that made te cancelation next day for me.

I read that the company is trying to fix the issues. Maybe it becomes an excellent purchase in 6months or more or even sooner...when they iron out the kinks.

Looks to me that they rushed it out on Kickstarter and at this point it's not what the customers are happy with. But I hear they are diligently working in the fix. Hopefully soon, cause that is damn affordable!!!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I went yesterday for the first time. Been meaning to for about 2 years, thanks to Op for this thread and the reminder.

Before hand I took out my contacts because I knew it would be dry/painful with them in. I also applied Vaseline to parts of my freshly shaven face, it made a difference. I wish i covered up another cut on my finger because it did distract me for about 5 mins.

OK so I get in the tank, and there is like a foot of water. I was surprised by this thinking it too shallow. But I put the legs up and float I did. Cool feeling, like being suspended but you have force pushing against you from below. Neck started to hurt right away, but I didn't want to put my hands up. I simply streched out more, pushed my neck out more and let water come up higher on my face and after a minute I was comfortable and neck pain went away.

One issue was that I had a very dry nasal cavity because it is so hot yet dry air in the tank. It was really bothering me (my nose gets dry from heating indoors though). The pain was shooting up into my skull making it really painful. There was a water bottle/spray inside the tank, and I finally decided to reach for it. Had to be a bit of a dance not to tip over/get water in my eyes while I pried the damn thing off the tub's wall in the dark.

Can't emphasize this enough - if you get a drop of water on say your nose/forehead, it will roll down into your eyes, eventually. Don't touch your face.

First 10 mins with the music - relaxing, very relaxing, I find myself loosening up, actually laughed like an idiot letting some emotions go.

Then getting more adjusted in the dark - like biophase, I was thinking but I also was thinking of new viewpoints and having some realizations as thoughts did slow down, and I could identify specific thoughts that were going on a loop. I tried some breathing techniques to relax more but they weren't very effective this time - usually inhaling/pause/exhale/pause on 5 second counts each works well enough. Try it if you wish and see if it helps you.

The big thing for me is that I really like to feel my body. A few years ago if I smoked weed I'd always 'follow' my body as it would want me to stretch this way or that way, lengthening the muscles/stretch. In the tank, because the force is distributed more or less equally on your body, you realize where your muscle imbalances/where you are way too tight quite quickly. My shoulders were rolled back and my arms were sticking out forward. My hamstrings were actually in pain because they were being stretched out. My back I could tell needed to be more upright. A chiropractor once told me one of my shoulders was higher than the other one but i never really noticed. I could notice in the tank. So I started moving around in the tank very slowly while listening to my body and feeling the stretch, just going along to where it wants to take me. I don't do anything, I just feel what it wants me to naturally go to/which position and I go there where it feels more enjoyable/freeing. In this sense I can see a big benefit of the tank.

Overall it was a cool feeling - i liked grabbing the water because it felt different- as if you're grabbing water, but you're not, if that makes sense. Another cool thing - i lifted my legs and back higher and my a$$ hit the bottom and stayed there. I then leaned back again and I 'floated up' into the floating position, kind of like levitating :)

When the session ended I noticed I was quite more relaxed. I wasn't zen but I was focused on here and now, and was not thinking of what was coming in 5mins or 5 hours. This feeling went away eventually, but it reemerges now and again even 24 hours later as I write this - this calm/recall to the calm of the tank is nice.

Again, no zen, but the realizations and the muscle stretching was worthwhile it for me. Would/will go again.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
The power of visualization is VERY powerful. Lots of studies.

The float tank is known to help release endorphins. In a big way.

I have practiced visualizing my brain releasing endorphins with every exhale...
Keeping/practicing this visualization for the first half of many floats....watching/visualizing my brain release them to every inch of my body.

Soooooo many ways to improve your life with the tank.....

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just returned from my first session.

It was definitely an interesting experience considering I screwed up most of it.

My first 15 minutes was ruined because I made the HUGE mistake of shaving 4 hours earlier. MY face was irritated the whole time and it took me 15 minutes to block out the pain. I forgot to Vaseline up my cheeks, ugh.

The next 30 minutes was really enjoyable as I seem to float somewhere else. I actually had an odd experience where I had visions of living a past life in World War I. (I'm somewhat of a history buff, both WW's) Not sure if it was just a random dream or what.

I can definitely see how the float experience can create some interesting experiences as I truly felt I was floating in space at times. There was also a primordial feel to it as the silence combined with the thump of your heartbeat is probably something likened to being in the womb.

The rest of the session (15 mins) was ineffective and irritating; a combination of getting up and moving around as somehow water got into my eyes.

Afterward, I admit, I felt a bit rejuvenated, like I just came out of a hot steam, or a good massage.

As recommended, I'm going go several more times and see if I can fix the irritation issues.

I will also reiterate, DO NOT touch your face, the droplets will make their way into your eyes.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

It was definitely an interesting experience considering I screwed up most of it.

My first 15 minutes was ruined because I made the HUGE mistake of shaving 4 hours earlier. MY face was irritated the whole time and it took me 15 minutes to block out the pain. I forgot to Vaseline up my cheeks, ugh.

The next 30 minutes was really enjoyable as I seem to float somewhere else. I actually had an odd experience where I had visions of living a past life in World War I. (I'm somewhat of a history buff, both WW's) Not sure if it was just a random dream or what.

I can definitely see how the float experience can create some interesting experiences as I truly felt I was floating in space at times. There was also a primordial feel to it as the silence combined with the thump of your heartbeat is probably something likened to being in the womb.

The rest of the session (15 mins) was ineffective and irritating; a combination of getting up and moving around as somehow water got into my eyes.

Afterward, I admit, I felt a bit rejuvenated, like I just came out of a hot steam, or a good massage.

As recommended, I'm going go several more times and see if I can fix the irritation issues.

I will also reiterate, DO NOT touch your face, the droplets will make their way into your eyes.
I was hoping my shaving advice would come in handy to someone...oops. :D I'm jealous of your vision..that sounds really cool, especially on the very first float.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

MJ, do you know yet if you are interested in primarily self-improvement, or in spiritual-enlightenment? The self-improvement path often involves a lot of reprogramming your mind to some desired affect, while spiritual-enlightenment is mostly unprogramming your mind until it reaches a "neutral" state.

Last edited:

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada

Damn, at least all your issues were self imposed....no?lol.

Ok, a bit of a tough go, But yes try again.

So to emphasize:

-No shaving 12 hrs before float

-dry face before entering tank after shower thoroughly, do not touch face under any circumstance while in tank

-eat light meal 1hr before

-pee/poo before entering the tank

-if using earplugs, make sure they are in proper(earplugs advised)

-enter tank

-expect nothing.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Once you get into your floating position just don't move. If you sit up, salt water is bound to go from the top of your head down into your eyes. I am able to lay there and not change position for the entire time. I start to feel crusty salt on my chest though after a while. I resist the urge to move my hand to get water onto it.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
I'm way to claustrophobic for this whole idea. I'll take a massage then go lounge in a hot tub.....

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
I'm way to claustrophobic for this whole idea. I'll take a massage then go lounge in a hot tub.....

There are float centres that offer float "rooms" instead of float tanks. This is for this specific problem.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Once you get into your floating position just don't move. If you sit up, salt water is bound to go from the top of your head down into your eyes. I am able to lay there and not change position for the entire time. I start to feel crusty salt on my chest though after a while. I resist the urge to move my hand to get water onto it.
Yes, good call.

I normally just lay down and for first minute stay in the laud own position and sort of "sway" around which is a cool feeling.

At end of float same thing...I sway around, but also stretch around, feel my body floating and play around with that for a few minutes and then get out

I don't sit up till its time to get out.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Is the water supposed to burn your skin? I went into a float tank for the first on Saturday and the salt didn't feel so good on my skin. It felt like my entire body was crawling with tiny bugs. I had a 90 minute float...it took about 45-60 minutes for the burning to stop.

My wife also did a float at the same time. She did not encounter any skin burning like me.

I probably should have asked the guy why my skin was burning but I was too relaxed to even give a shit by the time that I got out of the tank.

Anyway...some of my experiences (other than skin burning)

• I went into the tank with the right expectations. I see a lot of people freaking themselves out about not thinking. But I went in with the intention to think and focus on certain topics. And also to visualize.
  • I woke up at 3:30am that day to do work just to get myself tired by the time my 7pm float started.
  • My eyes were open the entire time and it got to the point where I couldn't tell if they were open or closed. That was really cool.
  • Just looking up in the blackness I saw tunnels of black that seemed to go on forever. I felt a sense of endlessness, infinity, etc..Words can't really describe it.
  • Sometimes I felt like light was raining down on me. Either my eyes started playing tricks on me or I was surfing from an allergic reaction from the salt.
  • I felt like I couldn't breath at first. I had to open the tank up for a few minutes to prevent myself from freaking out.
  • I felt very disoriented at times. I didn't know where I was and how to get out of the tank. My tank was like a bath tub with a tanning bed door. it was very hard to lift the top in total darkness. I will try a different tank next time.
  • Weird thoughts did creep into my mind at times...like thought about dying, suffocating, drowning, etc..I had to push them out of my mind.
  • I don't know about everyone else, but 90 minutes was actually way too long for the first float. My wife didn't even make it a full 90 minutes. I would drop to 60.
  • The place that you go to really matters. We have 4 float centers near us. I wasn't exactly happy with the one that I went to. The guy seemed high, although he was nice. I was distracted by a weird banging sound. The light in my wife's room wouldn't turn off...I really think that a key to this in the business providing a good experience.
  • Overall, I liked it. But it was kind of a hassle to get there, take a shower, float, take another shower, etc..I definitely plan to keep doing this, but I would much rather own a tank.

Aside from the burning of my skin, mild disorientation, and the poor experience with the float center, I definitely plan to keep doing it. I liked the experience overall.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Is the water supposed to burn your skin? I went into a float tank for the first on Saturday and the salt didn't feel so good on my skin. It felt like my entire body was crawling with tiny bugs. I had a 90 minute float...it took about 45-60 minutes for the burning to stop.

My wife also did a float at the same time. She did not encounter any skin burning like me.

I probably should have asked the guy why my skin was burning but I was too relaxed to even give a shit by the time that I got out of the tank.

Anyway...some of my experiences (other than skin burning)

• I went into the tank with the right expectations. I see a lot of people freaking themselves out about not thinking. But I went in with the intention to think and focus on certain topics. And also to visualize.
  • I woke up at 3:30am that day to do work just to get myself tired by the time my 7pm float started.
  • My eyes were open the entire time and it got to the point where I couldn't tell if they were open or closed. That was really cool.
  • Just looking up in the blackness I saw tunnels of black that seemed to go on forever. I felt a sense of endlessness, infinity, etc..Words can't really describe it.
  • Sometimes I felt like light was raining down on me. Either my eyes started playing tricks on me or I was surfing from an allergic reaction from the salt.
  • I felt like I couldn't breath at first. I had to open the tank up for a few minutes to prevent myself from freaking out.
  • I felt very disoriented at times. I didn't know where I was and how to get out of the tank. My tank was like a bath tub with a tanning bed door. it was very hard to lift the top in total darkness. I will try a different tank next time.
  • Weird thoughts did creep into my mind at times...like thought about dying, suffocating, drowning, etc..I had to push them out of my mind.
  • I don't know about everyone else, but 90 minutes was actually way too long for the first float. My wife didn't even make it a full 90 minutes. I would drop to 60.
  • The place that you go to really matters. We have 4 float centers near us. I wasn't exactly happy with the one that I went to. The guy seemed high, although he was nice. I was distracted by a weird banging sound. The light in my wife's room wouldn't turn off...I really think that a key to this in the business providing a good experience.
  • Overall, I liked it. But it was kind of a hassle to get there, take a shower, float, take another shower, etc..I definitely plan to keep doing this, but I would much rather own a tank.

Aside from the burning of my skin, mild disorientation, and the poor experience with the float center, I definitely plan to keep doing it. I liked the experience overall.
Yes 1 hr float for first time is very good tip.

Not sure about the burning. Only time that happens with me is because I shaved prior.

Owning a tank is the best investment I ever made.

I am not financially wealthy. But I compare this to a luxury like having a personal daily masseuse or personal daily chef etc for the wealthy to start your day. ...if that makes sense.

Best 20k CAD I have ever spent.
I sometimes use it 2x a day.

It will bring down your stress levels large.
So many benefits we haven't even touched on in this thread

Last edited:

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Know of any in the 519 area code?

Not personally but there are a few online directories for float centres.

I would just google that area(London?) and see what comes up and check their websites carefully

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Second float coming tomorrow...

Marked notable at the minimum, still might go GOLD!

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
I did two floats this past August. I was motivated by Joe Rogan’s YouTube vids.

A lovely elderly couple owned a float tank business in the Los Angeles area and decided to move from the hustle and bustle of the big city to the peace and quiet of Northern California, Grass Valley to be specific. Apparently one of their clients in LA was the late writer Michael Crichton. He used their float tank to get over his writers block when he penned the novel “Congo”. They rent out a Samadhi Float tank.

They charge $35 dollars a session—90 mins first time and 60 mins thereafter.

When you make an appointment they tell you not to drink any caffeine at least 12 hrs prior to session nor shave beforehand because of skin irritation—I bet you wished the people at your floating establishment told you that eh MJ ;-).

When I got there the owner told me the process. She shows you the small room with the tank, shower, and two large baskets of plain white towels. She tells you to take a warm shower and wash with all natural shampoo and body wash which they provide) and the water is natural spring water from their well. Then you must dry off completely before entering the tank in your birthday suit.

They do say if you have issues with tight places you leave the door open and that most who do that will eventually become comfortable enough to close it. Once in I closed it I put my hand on my chest as if I were laying in a coffin and closed my eyes. It was relaxing and after a while I forgot where I was. No vivid dreaming or past life stuff just deep relaxation. Then my body started to “sway in the water" and the top of my head hit the back of the tank. This did not hurt but was just annoying. And this would happen from time to time. The other issue I had was that I would have a hard time putting my hands in the most comfortable position. I found the best for me was both hands behind my back like I am laying out relaxing on the beach. One important thing that they stressed—DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE, EYES OR MOUTH WITH YOUR HANDS!!!

Time went by fairly quickly and when finished they tell you to take another shower and soap up and rinse. After your first session she likes to converse with you to tell you about floating and the benefits, of course 90 minutes floating in salt water sure does dry you out and I was thirsty as hell. She offers you fresh well water and it the best tasting water ever.

For my second float I was thinking about how thirsty I was from the last time so I drank a 16 oz. bottle of water before the 1 hr float. Big mistake the last twenty I was holding it in which made the floating not to fun. Still had the same issues of my head floating into the top of the tank and finding comfortable positions for my hands.

All in all it was a good experience and certainly recommend it to anyone. But I did not get that “wow” factor that I was looking for. Maybe like an earlier post mentioned, I was looking for those great expectations of visiting other worldly places or the like. Or having pre-conceived notions of expecting something great and phenomenal may come away quite dissatisfied as though they didn't 'accomplish' what was 'supposed' to happen.

Maybe I just need to expect nothing and see what happens.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!