The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy a float tank. Change your life.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
This sounds awesome. Could help with my ever-cluttered mind. Turns out there's a place five minutes walk from my front door; will try this out and report back!

(They need a better copywriter though. Their website makes it sound not even remotely interesting.)

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I found this to be an interesting take on sensory deprivation tanks, as well:

Three Part Series

Guy's a little strange, but it's a good watch.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've watched a lot of those videos, but I don't know if I'd ever try it. lol

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
First float is next Tuesday.... can't wait to give it a try (several times as instructed.)
@MJ DeMarco and others.

Please let us know how u like it.

And again, be sure to float more then once to form your opinion. But just once will probably make u want to find time in your day to float daily.

I start my day with a float.

I do a second float daily sometimes To play a hypnosis cd to really get deep into something I want to change or improve.

Your mind is soooooo much more receptive in the tank to such CDs. Fast track for results.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
You see a segment of the population use psychedelics in the tank.

That is not my interest, I don't want to taint the experience.....yet.lol.

There is so much I can improve on in the tank.

Power of visualization.

From athletics to weight loss to confidence and tackling social anxiety etc etc

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Just booked a float 2 hours from my house monday. I'll give my opinion on it after :)

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
@Contrarian and @MJ DeMarco and others...

Quick tips:

Be sure NOT to touch your face at all with your hands if you happen to feel an itch ANYWHERE on your face...or forehead while floating.

The salt will always somehow find a way to your eyes or nose or mouth if you do so...don't matter how carefully or how little you touch the face.
This will irritate you with a stinging sensation that will force you to get out and was it out with clear water. The stinging won't pass immediately if not washing it out.

Simply avoid touching your face...think the itch away or let it go....

Or....

If you really have to,...get out and wipe or itch yourself with towel and lay back in and resume. No biggie.

Also, eat 1hr before hand so you not hungry or too full..

And most importantly go to bathroom and empty out before entering the tank.

Enjoy!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I get cold very easily and my body temp is below average. Am I going to be comfortable in there or cold? I know it's suppose to = my body temp, but I suspect I'll be cold. I take showers with boiling water. :p

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
I get cold very easily and my body temp is below average. Am I going to be comfortable in there or cold? I know it's suppose to = my body temp, but I suspect I'll be cold. I take showers with boiling water. :p

I think you will be VERY comfortable.

Another tip.... @MJ DeMarco and others...

if you ever(happens very rarely) feel the overwhelming urge to get out before the time is up,...just relax, gently move your mind away from these thoughts and this feeling will go away...it always does..
This sometimes happens with experienced floaters. My feeling is that your session will end and you will wish u had more time in the tank!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I did my first float last week. I had the pod closed and was too hot after about 20 minutes so I did the rest of the float with the pod open. My friend had the pod closed the entire time and he said it wasn't too hot. He also gets cold easily.

It took me about 30 minutes to get used to it. My biggest problem was that my neck was hurting. I tried to refrain from using the neck pillow. I found that floating with my arms over my head put my shoulders back and down instead of rounded. Going to do my second float tonight after dinner.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
I did my first float last week. I had the pod closed and was too hot after about 20 minutes so I did the rest of the float with the pod open. My friend had the pod closed the entire time and he said it wasn't too hot. He also gets cold easily.

It took me about 30 minutes to get used to it. My biggest problem was that my neck was hurting. I tried to refrain from using the neck pillow. I found that floating with my arms over my head put my shoulders back and down instead of rounded. Going to do my second float tonight after dinner.

Yes good call.

Putting your arms above your head will really change your comfort level in a positive way if you feel arms by your side is strenuous on the neck. Or simply try leaning your head even further back might help.
Simple small adjustment of the head.
Just the hands above head is a definite solution though.

I would advise against the float pillow. Your body is against gravity.

Better off finding your position.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have floated once and enjoyed the experience. I was hoping for something like what they showed in the Simpsons, but alas... it was just relaxing.

I will give it more chances here in the near future.

lukeymacca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 26, 2014
Did my first float last week. I've dabbled with meditation in the past but have always had issues keeping the mind quiet. For about the first 30mins in the tank I struggled with the new surrounding, pondered about life, business and the plans for 2016 then for the last 30 mins I just fully zoned out. I was awake but was simply aware of nothing... didn't want it to end, felt very chilled/zen like for a day or two after. Booked in again this week.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Did my first float last week. I've dabbled with meditation in the past but have always had issues keeping the mind quiet. For about the first 30mins in the tank I struggled with the new surrounding, pondered about life, business and the plans for 2016 then for the last 30 mins I just fully zoned out. I was awake but was simply aware of nothing... didn't want it to end, felt very chilled/zen like for a day or two after. Booked in again this week.
Awesome!

This is why I recommend people book 3 floats.

Some people can settle in after only a few min others not so lucky...but even so...that 30 min was probably top notch.

And as you float more, the deeper you will go.

SDFreedomFighter

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 25, 2014
San Diego
I've been meaning to try this for like 5 years, saw a place a couple blocks from work thats I think $40...you've convinced me to finally do it after work today...will respond with my initial first float impression soon!

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
How much of this is true?

(Hoping all of it)

Google lozanov and super learning.

I had not tried it yet,

But,
I have read lozanov had developed a program of accelerated learning....called suggestopedia...that using this technique of deep relaxation, synchronizing mind and body rythms through rythmic breathing, and listening to whatever is to be learned, spoken over a background of slow rythmic music....

Use this technique in a float tank....lookout!!

"While lozanov students often spend several sessions learning how to relax deeply enough to make his method effective, floaters can go rapidly and effortlessly to a state of extremely deep relaxation".

"Research indicates that floating leads to dramatic increase in both suggest ability and the capacity for hypnosis".

The float tank is truly a real deal success tool.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
The float tank is truly a real deal success tool.

Let's be honest, though, it's not as simple as just going. There's a lot more to it.

While I agree with floating, especially giving it the chance by going multiple times, there's vastly more to it than simply showing up.

Honestly, by hyping it up, I think it almost drives home a rather negative association, and that's expectation.

Anyone who goes with a pre-conceived notion of expecting something great and phenomenal may come away quite dissatisfied as though they didn't 'accomplish' what was 'supposed' to happen. Half the battle in meditation and floating is letting go of any expectations and simply being. Understanding you are there, in the moment, with nothing else to do, nothing you have to think about, and with no care in the world.

Expectations should be none, feelings should be none, thoughts should be none.

The reason most people take upwards of 30-45 minutes or longer is because they keep expecting to 'drift away' or 'lose all feeling' or something related.

When, in contrast, they should expect nothingness. Think hard on that for just a moment... what is expecting nothingness.. almost paradoxical, yes?

With your experience in floating thus far, I think you can offer us even greater insight than the event of floating. Perhaps an additional way to help everyone learn about losing themselves in the float tank would be a more in depth, comprehensive insight into your preparations.
  1. Light meal, 1 hour before.
  2. Go potty.
  3. ....?
  4. Profit!
Perhaps there are several other suggestions you could offer, like:
  • Stretch for 15 minutes beforehand to allow blood to flow and circulate.
  • Focus on oxygenating your blood cells by taking 60-90 seconds to breathe very deeply.
  • Go midday so you've had enough time to take care of any immediate needs for the day, yet you have nothing left to conquer (aka worry about).
  • Wear slightly warm, loose fit clothing.
  • Drink green tea before, and bring water along with you.
  • (I'm clearly making these up as I go)
What's your process to decompress before the main event?

Last edited:

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Let's be honest, though, it's not as simple as just going. There's a lot more to it.

While I agree with floating, especially giving it the chance by going multiple times, there's vastly more to it than simply showing up.

Honestly, by hyping it up, I think it almost drives home a rather negative association, and that's expectation.

Anyone who goes with a pre-conceived notion of expecting something great and phenomenal may come away quite dissatisfied as though they didn't 'accomplish' what was 'supposed' to happen. Half the battle in meditation and floating is letting go of any expectations and simply being. Understanding you are there, in the moment, with nothing else to do, nothing you have to think about, and with no care in the world.

Expectations should be none, feelings should be none, thoughts should be none.

The reason most people take upwards of 30-45 minutes or longer is because they keep expecting to 'drift away' or 'lose all feeling' or something related.

When, in contrast, they should expect nothingness. Think hard on that for just a moment... what is expecting nothingness.. almost paradoxical, yes?

With you experience in floating thus far, I think you can offer us even greater insight than the event of floating. Perhaps an additional way to help everyone learn about losing themselves in the float tank would be a more in depth, comprehensive insight into your preparations.
  1. Light meal, 1 hour before.
  2. Go potty.
  3. ....?
  4. Profit!
Perhaps there are several other suggestions you could offer, like:
  • Stretch for 15 minutes beforehand to allow blood to flow and circulate.
  • Focus on oxygenating your blood cells by taking 60-90 seconds to breathe very deeply.
  • Go midday so you've had enough time to take care of any immediate needs for the day, yet you have nothing left to conquer (aka worry about).
  • Wear slightly warm, loose fit clothing.
  • Drink green tea before, and bring water along with you.
  • (I'm clearly making these up as I go)
What's your process to decompress before the main event?

You are a absolutely right.

Do not have these great expectations to visit other worldly places or this or that.

I am not pumping up. I am bringing up the positives. Owning a tank has given me opportunity to run hypnosis cd for the last little bit which has helped me tremendously. I feel free of any social anxiety that I have suffered or tolerated or hidden from in last probably 20 years.

Less than 2 weeks of daily twice a day floating with this you tube audio changed my life.

Don't think it would have had the same accelerated effect with headphones and lying on a bed as it did with the float tank.

That aside.

Go in there with expectations of total amazing relaxation....and that's it!

Less expectations is a smart move.

Think of it as pure nothingness.

Just let yourself go if possible. Let go of letting yourself go.

At a minimum, if you like the feeling of a full body massage, or the relaxation you get from one...then I think that a float will really satisfy your need for a truly deep deep relaxation.

As for other suggestions....

No caffeine before hand if possible

Get there 30 min before hand so u not rushed

Don't force anything. Just relax and observe your thoughts.

Enjoy.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I'm in on this for sure! There are a couple different ones in Atlanta.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm gonna guess, no caffeine beforehand is a good tip?

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Last edited:

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
My biggest problem was that my neck was hurting.

I was wondering about this myself. I remember floating in the Dead Sea in Israel and having trouble relaxing because I couldn't figure out how to relax my neck / head. I felt like I was suspended in an invisible lounge chair with my head hanging off the back.

I guess I did need some kind of neck pillow.

Picture of the very salty Dead Sea:

dead_sea_sunset.jpg

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
I was wondering about this myself. I remember floating in the Dead Sea in Israel and having trouble relaxing because I couldn't figure out how to relax my neck / head. I felt like I was suspended in an invisible lounge chair with my head hanging off the back.

I guess I did need some kind of neck pillow.

Picture of the very salty Dead Sea:

View attachment 11466

Yes, laying your arms above head will do wonders for this problem.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    963.7 KB · Views: 62

Ben S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 2, 2015
Los Angeles, California
So I did my first float session about a week ago, before I left for the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas. It was 75 minutes.

They instruct several of the things mentioned here. Firstly everyone was briefed beforehand in a group and then went to their own rooms. Everyone needs to take a shower first, which should be lukewarm, so that it does not mess with your bodies natural temperature. Then, dry off your face and hair COMPLETELY. Very important because the last thing you want is little beads of water rolling down your face and making you distracted. They also gave us earplugs to seal our ear canals from the 1300 pounds of salt that were in the tank.

The tank is this big gray box, which for some reason seemed very cool and at the same time made me a little nervous.
elevatefloat020.jpg
I went in extremely excited because I was expecting some sort of deep revelation or visuals. I have practiced mediation on and off for the last couple years so my expectation was that I would get a lot out of it. I entered the tank and closed the door behind me. As I lay down I could hear this peaceful Asian music, which slowly faded away to signal the beginning of the 75 minute session. Then...complete silence. I opened my eyes and closed my eyes to the same level of pitch black darkness.

Interestingly, for the first 20 minutes or so, all I could think about was NOT THINKING... Seriously. I was so obsessed with trying to make my mind clear that I was thinking about it obsessively. Next, I felt a little uneasy being in this small tank and almost wanted to get out.

I pushed past both of these feelings, and soon felt a wave of peace come over me. One very helpful thing I learned during this was that your breath should be relatively shallow and calm. Deep breaths flood your lungs with air and you become more light on the water. This in turn causes you to feel the water level change around your body and takes away some of the immersion.

I began to feel very calm and my mind cleared away. Then...way too soon it seemed, the Asian music came back on to signal the end of the session. I'm not too sure what happened, but I think I may have fallen asleep. I will definitely schedule a couple more appointments. One piece of advice I have is to come in expecting nothing. My expectations seemed to get in the way of the experience. Regardless it was relaxing and an overall great experience.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
So I did my first float session about a week ago, before I left for the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas. It was 75 minutes.

They instruct several of the things mentioned here. Firstly everyone was briefed beforehand in a group and then went to their own rooms. Everyone needs to take a shower first, which should be lukewarm, so that it does not mess with your bodies natural temperature. Then, dry off your face and hair COMPLETELY. Very important because the last thing you want is little beads of water rolling down your face and making you distracted. They also gave us earplugs to seal our ear canals from the 1300 pounds of salt that were in the tank.

The tank is this big gray box, which for some reason seemed very cool and at the same time made me a little nervous.
View attachment 11467
I went in extremely excited because I was expecting some sort of deep revelation or visuals. I have practiced mediation on and off for the last couple years so my expectation was that I would get a lot out of it. I entered the tank and closed the door behind me. As I lay down I could hear this peaceful Asian music, which slowly faded away to signal the beginning of the 75 minute session. Then...complete silence. I opened my eyes and closed my eyes to the same level of pitch black darkness.

Interestingly, for the first 20 minutes or so, all I could think about was NOT THINKING... Seriously. I was so obsessed with trying to make my mind clear that I was thinking about it obsessively. Next, I felt a little uneasy being in this small tank and almost wanted to get out.

I pushed past both of these feelings, and soon felt a wave of peace come over me. One very helpful thing I learned during this was that your breath should be relatively shallow and calm. Deep breaths flood your lungs with air and you become more light on the water. This in turn causes you to feel the water level change around your body and takes away some of the immersion.

I began to feel very calm and my mind cleared away. Then...way too soon it seemed, the Asian music came back on to signal the end of the session. I'm not too sure what happened, but I think I may have fallen asleep. I will definitely schedule a couple more appointments. One piece of advice I have is to come in expecting nothing. My expectations seemed to get in the way of the experience. Regardless it was relaxing and an overall great experience.

Good tip on wiping face completely dry to avoid distraction.

I'm sure your second float will quickly be much deeper and more satisfying.

You do loose track of time.

I have done over a hundred floats so far...you will be astounded at the level of restful relaxation that you may experience on your first, second etc float.

And you come out soooooo alert and rested. The complete opposite of groggy.

It's the weirdest thing, and I've heard others say this,
but I feel like a monkey or caveman when I first open the float tank door and look out at the surroundings. Lol

Weird primal feeling.

Coming out of that complete darkness...back into the real world.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.