The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Opportunities 2023: Next Big Trends

Idea threads

Yanezez

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Dec 13, 2022
France & Chile
Hello all,

I've been taking a lot of courses lately (Project Management, Six Sigma, how to build sites, etc). However I noticed that all of them are for things which already have solid bases. My question is, what are the future skills of 2023-2025 that one must begin learning right now?

Sort of like knowing about Cryptos in 2005. Or knowing about Ecommerce two decades ago, etc. The current searches indicate affiliate marketing, dropshipping, etc but I feel those skills (even though very useful still) are already at their peak. So what is coming next?

Thank you all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Hello all,

I've been taking a lot of courses lately (Project Management, Six Sigma, how to build sites, etc). However I noticed that all of them are for things which already have solid bases. My question is, what are the future skills of 2023-2025 that one must begin learning right now?

Sort of like knowing about Cryptos in 2005. Or knowing about Ecommerce two decades ago, etc. The current searches indicate affiliate marketing, dropshipping, etc but I feel those skills (even though very useful still) are already at their peak. So what is coming next?

Thank you all
Can you figure out how to apply ChatGPT (or other AI) to customer service by training it on a company's products and common questions/answers?

If you can save a business $3k per month in customer service costs, they will gladly pay you 10% of that amount.

Repeat for 100 businesses and you will be on the way to the fastlane.

Yanezez

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Dec 13, 2022
France & Chile
Can you figure out how to apply ChatGPT (or other AI) to customer service by training it on a company's products and common questions/answers?

If you can save a business $3k per month in customer service costs, they will gladly pay you 10% of that amount.

That's a great one. Client services AI was actually on various lists.

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 26, 2021

Is this already possible? Any handfull links by any chance, might be an good idea. (def for ecommerce stuff, so it can work 24/7)

Tacko6

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Dec 21, 2022
UK

Great idea

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Guessing the future is a mug's game, because it is highly unpredictable. But for a bit of fun I will have a go.

I think that at some point the attention economy will face some kind of major backlash. What business opportunities will open up as a consequence I'm not really sure but I would assume that something would emerge.

I guess that the metaverse will continue to mature but I don't know much about it. Likewise Web 3.0 and Ethereum is related (I believe) to the metaverse. I'm sure that problems will emerge with these new technologies and if you can solve those problems then that will be an opportunity.

Many central banks around the world are looking at issuing digital currencies of their own. These will provide competition for the currently established cryptocurrencies.

High energy prices look like they are going to be around for a while, so opportunities for energy efficiency will be plentiful, also there'll be opportunities for microgeneration of heat or electricity.

I note that with the emergence of AI particularly AI generated art, there is a debate about whether using art to train an AI without the permission of the artist is copyright infringement. I know this isn't really new but I think that there will be even more opportunities in the future for products or services that provide privacy and / or security on the internet. It seems to me that having governments just banning things is too heavy handed and often ineffective and individualized approaches may be better. This would be related to the attention economy point above.

I note that world trade was badly affected by the pandemic. As we emerge from the pandemic globally we find supply chains are facing challenges. Anything that would help businesses to import / export more easily would probably have a lot of customers, or anything that helped with language barriers, for example when providing customer service, might be useful.

We've seen NFT art on the Ethereum blockchain for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if other applications for NFTs emerged in the next few years, so there may be opportunities there.

Now that Elon has acquired Twitter he may shift the nature of the platform somewhat. This may create opportunities for nimble entrepreneurs. eg. If he changed the way that twitter advertising works, then businesses may want to take advantage of it and then there would be an opportunity for consultants / suppliers to manage that advertising for those businesses.

DMFC (Direct Methanol Fuel Cell) technology is maturing steadily and it may provide competition for battery based electric cars in the next few years. It should also allow electric buses and trucks. I'm not sure what opportunities this would create for small businesses though if this shift happens.

I know that many of these things are already here or happening as opposed to going to happen, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:

Yanezez

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Dec 13, 2022
France & Chile
Guessing the future is a mug's game, because it is highly unpredictable. But for a bit of fun I will have a go.

I think that at some point the attention economy will face some kind of major backlash. What business opportunities will open up as a consequence I'm not really sure but I would assume that something would emerge.

I guess that the metaverse will continue to mature but I don't know much about it. Likewise Web 3.0 and Ethereum is related (I believe) to the metaverse. I'm sure that problems will emerge with these new technologies and if you can solve those problems then that will be an opportunity.

Many central banks around the world are looking at issuing digital currencies of their own. These will provide competition for the currently established cryptocurrencies.

High energy prices look like they are going to be around for a while, so opportunities for energy efficiency will be plentiful, also there'll be opportunities for microgeneration of heat or electricity.

I note that with the emergence of AI particularly AI generated art, there is a debate about whether using art to train an AI without the permission of the artist is copyright infringement. I know this isn't really new but I think that there will be even more opportunities in the future for products or services that provide privacy and / or security on the internet. It seems to me that having governments just banning things is too heavy handed and often ineffective and individualized approaches may be better. This would be related to the attention economy point above.

I note that world trade was badly affected by the pandemic. As we emerge from the pandemic globally we find supply chains are facing challenges. Anything that would help businesses to import / export more easily would probably have a lot of customers, or anything that helped with language barriers, for example when providing customer service, might be useful.

We've seen NFT art on the Ethereum blockchain for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if other applications for NFTs emerged in the next few years, so there may be opportunities there.

Now that Elon has acquired Twitter he may shift the nature of the platform somewhat. This may create opportunities for nimble entrepreneurs. eg. If he changed the way that twitter advertising works, then businesses may want to take advantage of it and then there would be an opportunity for consultants / suppliers to manage that advertising for those businesses.

DMFC (Direct Methanol Fuel Cell) technology is maturing steadily and it may provide competition for battery based electric cars in the next few years. It should also allow electric buses and trucks. I'm not sure what opportunities this would create for small businesses though if this shift happens.

I know that many of these things are already here or happening as opposed to going to happen, but this is all I can think of at the moment.
That's a handful. You have thought about this for a while.

I agree with all points.

As with AI, the only downside I see is that it cost 20k minimum to implement AI in your software.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
One point that is probably worth making about this stuff is this.
You don't have to be able to see the future to be able to take advantage of new trends. For example a survey done around April 2022, found that 23% of the world's population own some cryptocurrency. So it is still a "brand new" thing for most people on earth, despite the fact that Bitcoin was created in 2009.
So as long as you are an early adopter of a technology, you don't have to see it coming, you can just jump on the trend in its early stages and be ready for when the masses catch up. For example, most people on earth have never owned an electric car. So that is still a "brand new" technology despite the fact that the first electric cars were made around 100 years ago.
Another example might be say Twitter. If Elon makes changes to Twitter in 2023 it might take a year or more for most businesses to switch on to the new opportunity, yet someone who was dedicated could probably understand a new opportunity inside out with a few weeks or months of effort and hence get themselves way ahead of the herd.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Thank you all
Just a thought, it might be worth asking ChatGPT the following few questions:

What, in your opinion, are the emerging business trends of 2023?
What, in your opinion, are the emerging technology trends of 2023?
What, in your opinion, are the most valuable emerging skillsets in 2023?

Just see what it comes back with.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I forgot to bring my crystal ball, can't seem to find it.

Nobody knows whats the next big thing, and who cares? Those places are likely to be filled with businesses that are highly competitive and low margin.

But here's the crux of it - you don't need to be on a massive trend to be successful. It helps, but its not the only factor.

Lots of people have become wealthy from boring stuff - Housing, solving a boring need - and you get less competition in these areas since people cant be arsed.

AnNvr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Apr 5, 2021
Australia
Chasing the "future skills" is kind of chasing money, I do not know how to take it.

I.e.: this neighbor started a cleaning business of car interior two years ago, as a sole trader. Nowadays, the business covers RE and commercial cleaning services with a small team.

In short, cleaning isn't reinventing the wheel, but eventually everybody need it, and if you're good at it, the market pay you back.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
My question is, what are the future skills of 2023-2025 that one must begin learning right now
Your question seems to be a question about finding the perfect pill or the "secret" to building something that works in the future. Kind of an event-oriented way of thinking. It's fun to think about but it doesn't really serve you unless it begins your process today.

What works now doesn't necessarily mean it'll work later. That's why innovation, value skews, uniqueness, and better products/services are well alive and living. It makes me think of the cliche luck = as an opportunity + preparation. People can say in hindsight that way back when is a perfect time to learn XYZ. Too bad, these people aren't interested in XYZ back then. Just thinking about finding the perfect skill to learn is a waste of time in my opinion. Sure there are skills that will give you certain leverage more than others, but it's all trial and error anyway. You find things you enjoy working towards and things you just hate without knowing why. That goes for the "future skills" of 2023-2025.

Start with things small and closer to you. What do you enjoy learning? What do you don't mind learning? What are your background, interests, hobbies, etc? Can you find a way to apply it at scale and get direct feedback from the mass? Even if you suck at it, give it some time, put in the time, and you'll eventually get lucky.

Human emotions and psychology don't change. Pick skills that you would like to learn, that teaches you how to engage with the emotions and psychology of the mass and I think you're moving in a good direction.

The skills that you must learn are those that you have the inclination to learn, not necessarily something that someone recommends. I've tried things recommended by others many times in the past because they promise quick and easy money. Shortcut, secret sauce, fat-burning pills, easy guides, sell and that's why I gave up every single time. I never believe in them because the underlying problem was: I was chasing easy money without wanting to work. And I knew it.

You bet if there are some big trends in 2023-2025, the big money makers aren't thinking about them right now. They're busy creating the trend with a process dated back 1-2 years if not 5 years+.

Yanezez

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Dec 13, 2022
France & Chile
Thank you all. Has been a fun read and certainly something worth thinking. I see clearer now. I will continue to finish the courses I've already started but will think hard what to choose next.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
You're asking us what will the winning lottery numbers be.
As @Matt Lee pointed out very well, this is indicative of an event-oriented mindset. Someone who wants to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the next big thing.

Entrepreneurship is not about shinny new ideas, technologies and market trends.

It's about providing simple solutions for hard, boring and annoying problems.

The core skillset of an entrepreneur is not related to any particular technology or domain. It mainly consists of mental abilities: long-term thinking, planning, strategy, industriousness, focus, self-reflection, flexible thinking, emotional stability etc.

Alessandros

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 3, 2021
Germany
My question is, what are the future skills of 2023-2025 that one must begin learning right now?
I love your question. An answer now is much more difficult than in the years before.

There are big tensions and conflicts, US vs. China about trade and perhaps Taiwan, the war in the Ukraine and the conflict Russia against the world, the behavior of Iran and perhaps North Korea. The Corona-problem isn't solved.

As one of the consequences there are many refugees and migration. In Europe you can see these problems directly.

This needs people who can tackle such problems, the necessary skills are possibly:

- language and communication skills and knowledge about other cultures: Chinese, Arabic, Korean?, English
- project management skills: get the work done, handle some millions (!) of refugees
- diplomatic and military (!) skills: what happens when your country is under attack?
- think about it: how to prepare for a crisis?

As with AI, the only downside I see is that it cost 20k minimum to implement AI in your software.
A programmer could implement this in his own software. Perhaps he has to learn one or two things about AI.

For example a survey done around April 2022, found that 23% of the world's population own some cryptocurrency. So it is still a "brand new" thing for most people on earth, despite the fact that Bitcoin was created in 2009.
I agree with that. Especially for people who are refugees or migrants cryptocurrencies could be a possibility to transfer their assets from one country to another (you can't put all your money in your pockets!).

Fiza Hanif

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Dec 24, 2019
The skills that you must learn are those that you have the inclination to learn, not necessarily something that someone recommends.
100%
I realized this a few months ago and it's liberating.
Human emotions and psychology don't change. Pick skills that you would like to learn, that teaches you how to engage with the emotions and psychology of the mass and I think you're moving in a good direction.
Superb answer!:clap::

Brodz14

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 26, 2022
Your question seems to be a question about finding the perfect pill or the "secret" to building something that works in the future. Kind of an event-oriented way of thinking. It's fun to think about but it doesn't really serve you unless it begins your process today.

What works now doesn't necessarily mean it'll work later. That's why innovation, value skews, uniqueness, and better products/services are well alive and living. It makes me think of the cliche luck = as an opportunity + preparation. People can say in hindsight that way back when is a perfect time to learn XYZ. Too bad, these people aren't interested in XYZ back then. Just thinking about finding the perfect skill to learn is a waste of time in my opinion. Sure there are skills that will give you certain leverage more than others, but it's all trial and error anyway. You find things you enjoy working towards and things you just hate without knowing why. That goes for the "future skills" of 2023-2025.

Start with things small and closer to you. What do you enjoy learning? What do you don't mind learning? What are your background, interests, hobbies, etc? Can you find a way to apply it at scale and get direct feedback from the mass? Even if you suck at it, give it some time, put in the time, and you'll eventually get lucky.

The skills that you must learn are those that you have the inclination to learn, not necessarily something that someone recommends. I've tried things recommended by others many times in the past because they promise quick and easy money. Shortcut, secret sauce, fat-burning pills, easy guides, sell and that's why I gave up every single time. I never believe in them because the underlying problem was: I was chasing easy money without wanting to work. And I knew it.

You bet if there are some big trends in 2023-2025, the big money makers aren't thinking about them right now. They're busy creating the trend with a process dated back 1-2 years if not 5 years+.

This helped a lot, It changed the way of my actions. thank you

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada

I think there's still a bigger opportunity here than just customer service.

Yes, AI will be able to replace many roles in corporations in the very near future; customer service, project management, legal, HR, etc. I suspect that specialized products will emerge to fill each of these needs. The models are only as good as the training, and even better specialized training could prove more valuable than the current generic, all encompassing, model. This is the bottom line AI model. Once it's trained, the model is largely static with periodic injections of new data for new products, new legislation and PR tweaking.

However, I see knowledge management as the bigger opportunity for AI. Within business, knowledge management is, and has always been, a challenge. It's often a scattered mix of legacy files, paper archives and obscure systems burdened by technical debt. No one wants to spend the money to modernize archives because the perceived value is low. Even if you bring these archives into another modern system, who is going to look at it? Why do we need to retain it? The truth is, there's value there; in the data and in the patterns of the past. AI can serve as a curator of corporate knowledge; whether it be deep or recent. Anything from meeting notes, conference summaries, user stories and a pain points, financial and legal data, patent holdings, competitor assessments, etc. With this knowledge, it can look for patterns, understand where opportunities may lay and aide with ideation by leveraging knowledge across departments, territories and history. This is the top line AI model. Model training and input data validation will take some human interaction and vetting which can make it a little onerous, but so were IT systems when they were first introduced. The upside potential is huge.

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 26, 2021
I think there's still a bigger opportunity here than just customer service.

Yes, AI will be able to replace many roles in corporations in the very near future; customer service, project management, legal, HR, etc. I suspect that specialized products will emerge to fill each of these needs. The models are only as good as the training, and even better specialized training could prove more valuable than the current generic, all encompassing, model. This is the bottom line AI model. Once it's trained, the model is largely static with periodic injections of new data for new products, new legislation and PR tweaking.

However, I see knowledge management as the bigger opportunity for AI. Within business, knowledge management is, and has always been, a challenge. It's often a scattered mix of legacy files, paper archives and obscure systems burdened by technical debt. No one wants to spend the money to modernize archives because the perceived value is low. Even if you bring these archives into another modern system, who is going to look at it? Why do we need to retain it? The truth is, there's value there; in the data and in the patterns of the past. AI can serve as a curator of corporate knowledge; whether it be deep or recent. Anything from meeting notes, conference summaries, user stories and a pain points, financial and legal data, patent holdings, competitor assessments, etc. With this knowledge, it can look for patterns, understand where opportunities may lay and aide with ideation by leveraging knowledge across departments, territories and history. This is the top line AI model. Model training and input data validation will take some human interaction and vetting which can make it a little onerous, but so were IT systems when they were first introduced. The upside potential is huge.
So you think starting a company that implements this for other companies would make sense? Not sure if you need to be very technical to do so.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
So you think starting a company that implements this for other companies would make sense? Not sure if you need to be very technical to do so.
Yes. I am considering taking a deeper look at how a standardized neural network model and AI application can be commoditized and implemented for knowledge management in a fairly generic way. As a business, you could just be the provider of the platform (SaaS). Or you could also aide in the model training and ongoing content screening (librarians) for a more complete service offering. Depending on the nature of the business, sensitivities around PI, etc. some companies may not like the latter approach, but there will always be some level of service required.

You can also layer on other applications like Whisper (speech to text) integration into your videoconferencing platform to aide in the aggregation and curation of ongoing knowledge documentation.

As a business, there may be opportunities to also help curate other external pieces of content that are more public and impactful at a macroeconomic or industry level. Upsell this as a service that benefits your clients while also curating it for another global model that may have a different business purpose or model down the road.

While information is more ubiquitous in the modern world, there are still walled gardens that people want to protect and view as proprietary. Why not help them leverage this to their own advantage?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.