The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Business is easy and it affects forum participation from heavy hitters.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

WJK

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My guess is comfort and perspective.

When you get older, more money isn't going to change anything and you start valuing peace, comfort, no-drama, and health.
You're absolutely right. There comes a day when there is no one left to impress. You ask yourself if chasing more stuff is really more? Will working like crazy make a better future, or will taking a quiet walk with my mate be a better idea? Should I work today at growing my business(es) or make my new granddaughter a quilt featuring her name?

Also, the day comes when you hit a wall where you ask yourself, what do I do now that I've been to my Mt. Olympus? Do I climb another? Must it be higher than the last? Can I just take a rest and still feel fulfilled?

This a deeply personal choice. When is enough, enough?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

WJK

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The forum has an self-extinguishing business model.

Success usually means departure, unless those who departed have something to sell, like an expensive coaching program or some type of paid mentorship -- then they return. It is somewhat sad to see someone return after X years after having some type of success, and the only reason why they return is to sell their $1997 coaching program or some other selling proposition.

The forum is kinda like Match.com -- if you find the love of your life, you have no need for Match.com. Success at Match = They Lose A Customer.

If you succeed at business, or are in scaling mode from $2M+, the answers to problems need much more dedicated silos of information and knowledge, which usually is found in trial and error, or through internal deliberation. The more you advance in business, the less help you will find from the "general public".

I know in my own business (publishing) there are questions I can't ask because I simply don't expect anyone to be in the same situation as me.
In the past, I never would have NEVER taken the time nor the energy to post on this forum. I way too busy to do any of this. My life was more than full of business deals, chores, and taking classes.
I love to write and help other people. I want to do more creative stuff to balance my business activities. So, I tried starting my own blog to scratch that itch. I learned Word Press and built my website. I was doing my own art for the posts, which was really fun. It all very exciting -- except the reality of posting once a week was overwhelming. It quickly became another job that I don't need. I'm trying to pare down and decide what I want to keep during this phase of my life. So, I dropped the blog. I just post here as I have the time and the interest. Hopefully, I can help others that are trying to get started or those who are stuck in their journey.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
I just post here as I have the time and the interest. Hopefully, I can help others that are trying to get started or those who are stuck in their journey.

I, for one, appreciate your posts on this forum a lot because you speak through very rich life experience.

Raphd

Still in the ashes...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 7, 2018
Swiss Alps
Thank you @Ravens_Shadow for this eye-opening post. It's clear that many of us are still losing at our inner game. We demonstrate it by asking self-doubting/validation questions or feedback on an idea before even taking the first step towards validating our idea. Yes, that is me and I am still struggling to listen to my gut and take enough action in a row to have the market be the validator instead of my inner insecurities.

For all of us who are still in this vicious cycle do you have any shortcuts/suggestions to get our game face on?

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Also, the day comes when you hit a wall where you ask yourself, what do I do now that I've been to my Mt. Olympus? Do I climb another? Must it be higher than the last? Can I just take a rest and still feel fulfilled?

This a deeply personal choice. When is enough, enough?
Joe Dominguez emphasized that a person should take time to define "enough."
What that means is different for every person, but a person needs to define that, because it's the sweet spot between fulfillment and more headaches and bills.

WJK

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Joe Dominguez emphasized that a person should take time to define "enough."
What that means is different for every person, but a person needs to define that, because it's the sweet spot between fulfillment and more headaches and bills.
This question of enough has several levels.

1. One of the threshold questions is if I have enough assets and cash flow to make me & mine comfortable? Is that income stable and adequate? How long will it last? What are my risk factors with my current situation?

2. Can I afford to use any of my nest egg to start something new if I decide that I want to step out again? Can I afford to lose those start-up monies?

3. What issue must I address to feel like I have a fulfilled life? What kind of purpose and meaning do I need? What am I going to do with my time? How am I going to stimulate my brain and my body?

4. How will my decisions affect my loved ones? Are they at the same stage of life as I am? How will my decisions change their lives? Are they supportive of me pivoting in my life? Do they agree with my proposed changes and share my feelings?

5. How have my goals and priorities changed? The stuff I wanted when I was young no longer has any pull on me. Over time, how have I changed? What do I want now? What does my idea of my life look like?

Things like -- do I need a bigger house or do I want to down-size? Do I want to change my lifestyle -- either upgrade or simplify? Do I want to hire someone to do some of the chores -- or take back some of the responsibilities? etc...

I can list some more, but those questions are enough to start the conversation.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Summit Attendee
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
When you get older, more money isn't going to change anything and you start valuing peace, comfort, no-drama, and health.
Bingo. I'm almost 65. I've gotten 2 cancer diagnoses in the last year, and one of them is considered "incurable." I may have a year or two left, or I may have 20 -- no way to know. That changes your outlook.

I've been grinding for the last year (with lots of time off for medical stuff and working my existing business) to add a new client with really good income potential. The last requirement is to pick up some certifications. I've already passed some exams, but the hardest one I rushed and failed once already. I've been studying part-time for months, and my exam re-take is scheduled next month.

And if I biff the exam again, I may just say "screw it" and walk away. I don't really need the money -- I already have a nice inheritance planned for my sons. I've enjoyed the work but I wouldn't miss it (much) if I stopped. I may actually retire, or at least semi-retire. Buy myself a new Tesla and take a bunch of road trips. Do some international travel once that's possible again. Live, while I still can.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
I attended the live session, really loved it! It gives some useful and practical tips on how to...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Three things: 1. Discord Chat is open. Click here for free access. 2. New YouTube Channel...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Its for students who have joined. Did you sign up? Hey Rob, been watching your infoproduct and...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom