The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Ideas for the (emerging) stay-at-home Economy?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Lots of birthdays during quarantine could be sad and depressing. Products that help relieve that would be great.
Saw a city's FB group collect names of folks having birthdays the next day and do a honking drive by for each.

A fun birthday kit? Rubber gloves, face masks, a way to blow out the candles without blowing. Online "Chucky Cheese" or Magician...
Saw a funny meme about it earlier and it triggered the thought.
For now and after Covid, consider a moderately strong rubber balloon that can be squeezed by a child to expel sufficient air to blow out candles. BONUS: as the air is expelled it sounds like the old whoopee cushion.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Lol now THIS is reacting rapidly to an opportunity. Mass-assemble 3 packs of carton and sell it cheap. Maybe there's also an interesting side hustle for people with that...
What kind of side hustle?

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada

That is freaking HOTT!!! I wonder how well these guys will do this year and beyond. Might spawn a whole new product category: furniture that is temporary, recyclable, easy to assemble, sturdy, functional, can be made to not look like a$$. (I'm excited about this since I work in the corrugated industry. Our designers can make practically anything, but it's usually high-end structures, displays etc.)

Also just want to add, I can find NOTHING ELSE on these guys right now (google, twitter, reddit etc.) aside from what's on the website and . . . The Fastlane Forum. Did one of YOU start this? :D

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
What I'm working on at the moment is helping farmers sell direct to the public. It seems there's been a huge upswing in people wanting to buy direct from farmers due to shortages in supermarkets or even just wanting to eat local & healthier. My strategy is to build farmers simple 1 page websites with online stores & get their produce online. There might also be opportunities with home deliveries. In my town there's apparently a shortage of refrigerated transport.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
What kind of side hustle?
Ho nothing huge, just making them at small scall and sell them. You won't do a fortune of course but if you are a little handyman you can do several a day and make a confortable margin on your time. At least I guess.

What I'm working on at the moment is helping farmers sell direct to the public. It seems there's been a huge upswing in people wanting to buy direct from farmers due to shortages in supermarkets or even just wanting to eat local & healthier. My strategy is to build farmers simple 1 page websites with online stores & get their produce online. There might also be opportunities with home deliveries. In my town there's apparently a shortage of refrigerated transport.
It seems to be good idea. There is lot a new bio-markets here in Europe, people seems to like having shorts circuits with healthy food. Taking advantage of that by offering an even shorter circuit (from farm to house) AND a delivery, personnal service... Mmmh.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ

I've noticed this pattern as well. Maybe set up the website for farmers, then sell them the refrigerated trucks. Or start a refrigerated delivery business.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Many products go through this cycle where there is a strong need / want for a product. Then people want it stylized, personalized, and finally, advertised. (think face masks here).

Shazelle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 13, 2020
Staffordshire
I'd I like to think that some of the things that we've enjoyed and experienced during a lockdown will continue. For example. We introduced cake of the week. The family chooses 1 cake from a list of 3, I shop for the ingredients and we make it together, because we made it together it becomes something special and we make it last. I think that might catch on as a subscription service. We've also started making satin ribbon bracelets with a full colour print. It probably won't make me millions but it's great family fun. I have a video but sadly it's too big to share hereIMG_20200412_153848.jpg

Shazelle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 13, 2020
Staffordshire
For now and after Covid, consider a moderately strong rubber balloon that can be squeezed by a child to expel sufficient air to blow out candles. BONUS: as the air is expelled it sounds like the old whoopee cushion.

Walter
I had event decorating and party business for about 20 years. I did a few party in a box, sash t-shirt balloons personalised chocolates. It never really took off but maybe it's time to revisit it . Something that did sell really well was stuffed animals inside a balloon. It's almost midnight here but now I have to go and make some lol. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I had event decorating and party business for about 20 years. I did a few party in a box, sash t-shirt balloons personalised chocolates. It never really took off but maybe it's time to revisit it . Something that did sell really well was stuffed animals inside a balloon. It's almost midnight here but now I have to go and make some lol. Thanks for the inspiration guys.
Airbnb has on line classes, events, etc.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Matter of fact, I'm validating a product in one of these categories as we speak...
Just got my first sale on accident...without any inventory :happy::happy::happy:

Full steam ahead. Time to get some inventory, get FB Ads to work, and ramp up!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
That is freaking HOTT!!! I wonder how well these guys will do this year and beyond. Might spawn a whole new product category: furniture that is temporary, recyclable, easy to assemble, sturdy, functional, can be made to not look like a$$. (I'm excited about this since I work in the corrugated industry. Our designers can make practically anything, but it's usually high-end structures, displays etc.)

Also just want to add, I can find NOTHING ELSE on these guys right now (google, twitter, reddit etc.) aside from what's on the website and . . . The Fastlane Forum. Did one of YOU start this? :D
So how would this work...like making tables and chairs out of cardboard? lol

I could see maybe for events or temporary uses, but wouldn't it be more cost-effective just to rent furniture since it's temporary anyway?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I dunno about you guys, but I am absolutely loving this whole thing. Companies are starting to do things the way they should have been doing them years ago.

Retailers just allowing you to put in an order through their app and a curbside pickup.

Like me? I despise shopping. I would rather just pay an employee at Stop and Shop who knows exactly where these products are to do my shopping for me. It's infinitely more efficient. Have you ever asked an employee where something is? 90% of the time they know exactly where things are. So while I'm searching around a store for 10 minutes trying to find shit, they know exactly where everything is. A shopping trip that would have taken me an hour would take them 15 minutes.

(Related - Why Economists Never Mow Their Own Lawn, And If You Want To Make Money… Neither Should You.)

It's simple division of labor. The same reason that assembly lines worked so well. You just get really good at one thing, and people can focus on that thing.

But I needed something from Best Buy? Boom, rather than walking around the store for 15 minutes, I just put my order in online and picked it up. They just bring your items to the car

IMG_0476.PNG

IMG_0477.PNG

I absolutely despise going into retail stores.

This is usually how things go when I need something:
  • drive to the store
  • walk around the store for 7 minutes looking for the product
  • finally give up then look for employees to ask
  • look down each aisle to find an employee
  • finally find one, but they're (of course) with another customer
  • stand around like a retard for 5 minutes while waiting for that employee to finish answering that customers 40,000 absurd questions
  • finally ask them where the product is is
  • if they don't know, wait for them to run a search with their stupid little smartphone app (an app they could just as easily let customers use to find shit themselves)
  • then if you get a legit, useful answer you get to go over to that aisle and still looking around for a few minutes to find the right one
  • once you find your item you get to wait in line for another 6 or so minutes
I utterly despise retail stores.

But today when I had to purchase an item from Best Buy, instead of going through the anal torture chamber of retail, I just put the order in online and a representative brought it out to my car.

Boom.

Like it should have been done for years.

Target, same thing. You just find your groceries, add them to the cart and then an hour or two later you go pick them up. It's F*cking amazing.

IMG_0478 2.PNG

Or they'll just bring it out to your car.

IMG_0479 2.PNG

IMG_0480 2.PNG

I mean I'm a dumbass. I completely suck at shopping. I usually have a list and my route around the store looks like it was planned by a 3 year old scribbling on a map of the store with crayons. But again, someone who works there would know the most efficient route to get every item 1, 2, 3... knowing exactly where they are. What takes me an Hour-and-a-Half takes them 20 minutes or less.

It's simply a matter of efficiency. I'd much rather just pay someone to do that. But Best Buy's and Target's services are free.

And these companies will probably save money in all sorts of ways like loss prevention (less chance of theft with this system,) and time saved with employees having to show customers where items are located.

It reminds me of the scene from The Founder movie where they juxtapose the atrocious service of Drive-in, carhop restaurants (where they brought food to your car) to the amazingly convenient, new McDonald's Brothers Restaurant.

Drive-in restaurants:

View: https://youtu.be/-NiB91kSA7s?t=190

McDonalds:

View: https://youtu.be/KultzqPJaJs?t=224

I am freakin loving this whole thing. This is going to be the biggest societal efficiency boost since the Post-WW2 Economic boom (which the West is still seeing the massive benefits of to this day.)

maddison-data-gdp-per-capita-in-2011us-single-benchmark-3.png

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@ChrisV .... I couldn't agree more with you !

Yesterday My Wife and I had our 1st food delivery. I don't know if we saved money or not...we couldn't use coupons( +$3.99 delivery charge)...but honestly, this usually doesn't amount to much.
What we did save was TIME. This store is about a 17 min one way drive. Plus the shopping time (20 min), and the risk factor (C0VlD-19). They rang our doorbell and put the groceries at the door. Exactly as we requested.

We bought a new desktop online from BestBuy and had it delivered. I've given up on Amazon for now since so many delivery times are a month long.

I always order my supplements online as well.

Question: Do you subscribe to any 'box' subscription service ? Do you think this model will grow or contract ? I'm looking at buying one....just not sure if people's Disposable Income will drop in the near future.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Question: Do you subscribe to any 'box' subscription service ? Do you think this model will grow or contract ? I'm looking at buying one....just not sure if people's Disposable Income will drop in the near future.
You mean you're looking at purchasing a company, right?

I just ran a search on Google Trends and I see a few interesting things.

So first... it appears that more people are searching for the term in general in the past 5 years, so that can indicate that those services are just becoming more popular regardless of C0VlD-19.

Also note that there have been spikes every year around Christmas time, but there's also an unexplained spike since the beginning of March. I'm going to assume that that's due to C0VlD-19, so I'm leaning toward "yes" as an answer.

But I don't know that much about box subscriptions in general, so take my suggestion as one single point of data.. but looking at the Google Trend data it does appear that more people are searching for those.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
You mean you're looking at purchasing a company, right?

I just ran a search on Google Trends and I see a few interesting things.

View attachment 32222
So first... it appears that more people are searching for the term in general in the past 5 years, so that can indicate that those services are just becoming more popular regardless of C0VlD-19.

Also note that there have been spikes every year around Christmas time, but there's also an unexplained spike since the beginning of March. I'm going to assume that that's due to C0VlD-19, so I'm leaning toward "yes" as an answer.

But I don't know that much about box subscriptions in general, so take my suggestion as one single point of data.. but looking at the Google Trend data it does appear that more people are searching for those.

Outstanding. Thank you. I'll take all the data I can get ! Yes, I'm looking at buying a healthy lifestyle, supplement niche company. It's a "Access" type box company. People get the latest, newest, samples and some really cool threads each month.

Angelic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 19, 2016
Some form of streaming service would be in demand since more people are online than ever before. Also agriculture! Store shelves are sold out of eggs, I already have a few chickens where I get my own fresh eggs. (they taste 10x better than store bought eggs) I figured if I get a bunch more and just start selling a dozen for $5, I could post that up and have recurring customers come to me for their eggs.

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Some form of streaming service would be in demand since more people are online than ever before. Also agriculture! Store shelves are sold out of eggs, I already have a few chickens where I get my own fresh eggs. (they taste 10x better than store bought eggs) I figured if I get a bunch more and just start selling a dozen for $5, I could post that up and have recurring customers come to me for their eggs.
A friend began doing that several years back, and he was always sold out. As a result he bought, and then bred, more hens. Production was soon too much for his farm gate stall, so he began selling at farmers' markets.

That's when the bureaucratic boom gate fell on him! Regulations, Inspections, Construction of approved facilities etc.....

He sold all his hens.:rage:

Walter

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I think we need a new spin on grocery delivery... the current models are so overwhelmed and so inefficient...

One thing this pandemic proved - people are WILLING to pay extra for grocery delivery. Convenience > cost (especially in younger generations).

What if we have a "virtual" grocery store? No foot traffic allowed. Shop online or via an app, and your groceries are delivered via UPS/FedEx. The "amazon" of grocery? How convenient would that be? Logistics will be a challenge, but that's where entrepreneurs excel. Want an even further value add? Start your own supply chain and get the groceries delivered within hours to EACH customer.

No more "pushed back" time slots, 2 week wait periods, etc. This is one of the industries I think that will thrive once we get back to "normal living" alongside supply chain.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Supplements! People are EATING MORE. Diets are not being followed. People are more stressed. Weight loss supplements and nootropics will see an increase in demand. If you're a supplement brand owner, this is the PERFECT time to release new products.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Love this: (from another thread)

I was also talking with another Fastlaner yesterday and he was telling me about how "zoom lighting" is now a thing and how a random lighting company was able to pivot, target that keyword, repurpose their products and marketing for people looking for "zoom lighting" and really tap this brand new market that did not exist at all two months ago. How many other opportunities are currently available? Probably hundreds.

But one thing is certain, if all you do is read/watch the news and fixate on how shitty the current situation is, you are going to miss the opportunities you might have.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
After this Pandemic, we will see the rise of "Ghost Kitchens"

Commercial kitchens, that solely focus on food delivery. Major food chains/independents have been partnering with Ghost Kitchen developers to offer food delivery through shared commercial kitchens

• Lower cost of entry into markets
  • Allows an operator to enter new markets without dine-in expense (rent, labor)
  • Requires less space and fewer employees

Ideas?

Perhaps develop a shared eco-system software for shared commercial kitchens?

-Shared time (Bakery operations during the day, dinner ops at night)
-Shared equipment (Sharing same equipment to create different recipes/drinks/meals)
-Rent kitchen time with brick&motor restaurants during opposite hours of operations

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Interesting.

Note: this chart is a little dubious bec cause if you look at the scale on the left they start at 7.0; so in reality the difference between commuters' life satisfaction score is only ~7.00 vs ~7.23.

WindsorWolves

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 16, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I know a market need is really important for an easier building experience, but we need to throw ourselves into something we are deeply and intrinsically passionate about. All of us know that the beginning grind will break even the most sturdy of minds, if that self propelling burn isn't going. So if nips up T shirts get your gears going, or building high density chicken coops for egg distribution, then its a good idea. But if we do things purely for the $, it will fizzle and die out in no time.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Lots of good service ideas but what are some PRODUCT opportunities that you guys are seeing out there?

New and unique? Value skews? Changing industries?

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
I dunno about you guys, but I am absolutely loving this whole thing. Companies are starting to do things the way they should have been doing them years ago.

Retailers just allowing you to put in an order through their app and a curbside pickup.

Like me? I despise shopping. I would rather just pay an employee at Stop and Shop who knows exactly where these products are to do my shopping for me. It's infinitely more efficient. Have you ever asked an employee where something is? 90% of the time they know exactly where things are. So while I'm searching around a store for 10 minutes trying to find shit, they know exactly where everything is. A shopping trip that would have taken me an hour would take them 15 minutes.

(Related - Why Economists Never Mow Their Own Lawn, And If You Want To Make Money… Neither Should You.)

It's simple division of labor. The same reason that assembly lines worked so well. You just get really good at one thing, and people can focus on that thing.

But I needed something from Best Buy? Boom, rather than walking around the store for 15 minutes, I just put my order in online and picked it up. They just bring your items to the car

View attachment 32216

View attachment 32215

I absolutely despise going into retail stores.

This is usually how things go when I need something:
  • drive to the store
  • walk around the store for 7 minutes looking for the product
  • finally give up then look for employees to ask
  • look down each aisle to find an employee
  • finally find one, but they're (of course) with another customer
  • stand around like a retard for 5 minutes while waiting for that employee to finish answering that customers 40,000 absurd questions
  • finally ask them where the product is is
  • if they don't know, wait for them to run a search with their stupid little smartphone app (an app they could just as easily let customers use to find shit themselves)
  • then if you get a legit, useful answer you get to go over to that aisle and still looking around for a few minutes to find the right one
  • once you find your item you get to wait in line for another 6 or so minutes
I utterly despise retail stores.

But today when I had to purchase an item from Best Buy, instead of going through the anal torture chamber of retail, I just put the order in online and a representative brought it out to my car.

Boom.

Like it should have been done for years.

Target, same thing. You just find your groceries, add them to the cart and then an hour or two later you go pick them up. It's F*cking amazing.

View attachment 32218

Or they'll just bring it out to your car.

View attachment 32219

View attachment 32220

I mean I'm a dumbass. I completely suck at shopping. I usually have a list and my route around the store looks like it was planned by a 3 year old scribbling on a map of the store with crayons. But again, someone who works there would know the most efficient route to get every item 1, 2, 3... knowing exactly where they are. What takes me an Hour-and-a-Half takes them 20 minutes or less.

It's simply a matter of efficiency. I'd much rather just pay someone to do that. But Best Buy's and Target's services are free.

And these companies will probably save money in all sorts of ways like loss prevention (less chance of theft with this system,) and time saved with employees having to show customers where items are located.

It reminds me of the scene from The Founder movie where they juxtapose the atrocious service of Drive-in, carhop restaurants (where they brought food to your car) to the amazingly convenient, new McDonald's Brothers Restaurant.

Drive-in restaurants:

View: https://youtu.be/-NiB91kSA7s?t=190

McDonalds:

View: https://youtu.be/KultzqPJaJs?t=224

I am freakin loving this whole thing. This is going to be the biggest societal efficiency boost since the Post-WW2 Economic boom (which the West is still seeing the massive benefits of to this day.)

View attachment 32221
Yeah I totally agree with you, I suck to shopping, it making my girlfriend mad... But do not forget that this disorganisation is often done on purpose: it is for the customer to lost themself, search their product, find others things and buy it... It is the reason why the groceries are always re-organisated.
I don't say the model is efficient, I say they do it for that.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
But do not forget that this disorganisation is often done on purpose: it is for the customer to lost themself, search their product, find others things and buy it... It is the reason why the groceries are always re-organisated.
I don't say the model is efficient, I say they do it for that.
I've considered this myself. But they could just as easily do something like that with an App, and probably do it better.

Amazon had the "Customers who liked this also liked" system and I can't count how many times I've went down that rabbit hole, which is significantly worse than physical stores. Physical stores I just want to get out of there ASAP because by the time I'm halfway through I'm so aggravated that I just want to leave.

It's emasculating lol. With apps you can use AI to suggest products that user is likely to enjoy.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Amazon had the "Customers who liked this also liked" system and I can't count how many times I've went down that rabbit hole
Side note: I've spoken to a guy who was on the team of Devs that presented this to Bezos. It was a online book store at the time. They said Hey!! We can develop a solution that recommends products based off of what they were searching for. Bezos said "you're all a bunch of F*cking idiots leave my office immediately". Then they built it anyway and presented it to him again. He liked it and implemented it. They probably should have done it elsewhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.