The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business assistants- best questions when interviewing?

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I'd like to make a short list of questions to weed out people before I go through interviewing a lot of people who've sent resumes. What are some good questions I could use to narrow my search?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
bump.

anyone have any ideas? i have a number of resumes and literally no idea where to start. i'd like to have a mini list of questions to ask that would help me find the better people in the group.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
What sort of responsibilities will they be expected to undertake? Sorry maybe it's me but I'm not quite grasping what the role is you're interviewing for - so I'm struggling to come up with suggestions :(

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Ditto, are they going to run your biz for you?

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
What sort of responsibilities will they be expected to undertake? Sorry maybe it's me but I'm not quite grasping what the role is you're interviewing for - so I'm struggling to come up with suggestions :(

Basically looking for an administrative assistant.(not a secretary) Someone who can help when projects need to get done, can help in the day to day aspects of the business that change from day to day. Not looking for someone to just answer phones/emails, looking for someone who'd be able to get involved/get things done when they need to be. I've never interviewed people for positions but I'm sure I can ask certain questions to help weed out some people who wouldn't cut it, I'm just not sure he best questions to ask.(was going to send out to everyone so I didn't have to make 100 calls, and then call the top 5 or 10 people.)

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
I think looking for someone who is a self starter and takes initiative is always important. So asking some questions "tell me about a time when you..." where the best answer would be one where the interviewee took charge of the situation.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I am no expert here only little experience in hiring, but in this day and age weed out those that are well over qualified. no need for college education as those applicants typically want to leave for something better asap. those type of things... but as with any staff, know where you stand with laws on hiring/firing, what you can and can not say, whats sexual harassment, etc (not saying you will do the wrong thing) but all need to be defined so there's no accidents and lawsuits

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
"What interests you most about this role?"
"What strengths can you bring to this role?"
"What are your weaknesses?"
"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
"How do you handle pressure / frustration / setbacks / challenges etc?"
"How would your friends / coworkers describe you?"
"What do you expect from this role / company?"

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
One of the most important questions to ask...in my opinion.

"Tell me about a time you had a conflict or issue with another employee, your boss, etc and how you went about resolving it."

Really shows you how someone handles conflict and interpersonal relationships. Very important for "fit" when looking for someone to work with.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
If I told you I needed to reduce the expense in this business, how would you go about accomplishing that task? (Handing them a copy of the expense portion of your monthly PL statement.

Imagine we are looking at purchasing a new property, but we need to get a hold of the covenants and zoning information. How would you go about getting that information for me?

Imagine that you are preparing checks for my signature. You notice the phone bill is extremely high this month. What do you do?

A customer calls, and is irate because of x, y, and z. What do you say to the customer?

The ( gate / door / website / computer) breaks. What do you do? How do you handle it?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Also, make a part of the application process via email, part by phone, and party in person. This lets you experience their communication skills in each of these areas.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
We considered it, but decided to go with someone local instead. VERY VERY glad we did... It would be impossible to get some of the work done with a VA. A lot of our stuff simply requires having a butt in the seat.

A lot of our other stuff is "could" be done virtually if we juggled, but it is better in person.

We did try out a Virtual Bookkeeper, but in the end, decided to go w/ local on that too.

We hired someone . . . that lasted for about 2 months. She just couldn't manage to get herself to work on time and every day.

Hire #2 is working out beautifully. (She is skilled in Quickbooks too, so that is a big plus.)

Hire #1 - $8 / hr.
Virtual Bookkeeper - $35 hr. (later, negotiated down to $25 hr)
Hire #2 - $10 / hr.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Look for someone who has been responsible for things.

The worst thing to get is a generalist who has never been responsible for anything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.