I just wanted to get some discussion started about the ethics of various businesses that seem to be popular on here. A lot of focus seems to be on ecommerce, finding a manufacturer in China, and selling (mostly) here in the US. I will admit I shop at Walmart, I buy things made in China etc, but I was wondering what are people's thought about leveraging the work of Chinese migrant workers and getting rich off of it? I'm NOT trying to call people out, but am curious to see who has been to China and seen the working conditions for themselves and if they are satisfactory. Most of the people who have dropship ecommerce businesses on here I'm sure have never even been to China. There can even be some debate over how outsourcing is "hurting" the US since we have turned into a service-based economy when we used to be manufacturing based.
I myself am interested in "low-maintenance" businesses such as self-storage, billboards, parking lots, mobile home parks etc but some of them conflict with my morals at some level. I believe Americans have WAY too much crap and running a self-storage business would only be continuing that. To me, all advertisements brainwash people and influence them directly as well as subconsciously and can affect people's self-esteem etc; obviously billboards would contribute to that.
Also, are starting MLMs ethical or not? Look at the recent charges against ZeekRewards. Getting a free pass to the CES and faking that you are involved in the industry? Selling a site on flippa that you just lost your main supplier but the numbers don't show that? Negative SEO "bombing" of competitors sites? etc etc These may seem like little issues, but they do affect me mentally at some level.
I know this can turn into quite a heated discussion and can be a very deep discussion on many levels. I have many thoughts on the issue and was just wondering what other people thought or if they even think about any of this? Please don't flame me too bad, just wanting some thoughts on the issue, thanks.
I will add, I face ethical decisions all the time when it comes to rental real estate. What to charge against the damage deposit. Evicting tenants because they can't pay the rent or giving them a chance. What if a college kid has to go home because a parent has cancer or something; do I still charge them the full term of the lease or cut them a break? Discrimination when it comes to screening tenants. Is something "worth" fixing up if it is "technically" not necessary? And on and on and on....I can tell you, I'm far from perfect.
I myself am interested in "low-maintenance" businesses such as self-storage, billboards, parking lots, mobile home parks etc but some of them conflict with my morals at some level. I believe Americans have WAY too much crap and running a self-storage business would only be continuing that. To me, all advertisements brainwash people and influence them directly as well as subconsciously and can affect people's self-esteem etc; obviously billboards would contribute to that.
Also, are starting MLMs ethical or not? Look at the recent charges against ZeekRewards. Getting a free pass to the CES and faking that you are involved in the industry? Selling a site on flippa that you just lost your main supplier but the numbers don't show that? Negative SEO "bombing" of competitors sites? etc etc These may seem like little issues, but they do affect me mentally at some level.
I know this can turn into quite a heated discussion and can be a very deep discussion on many levels. I have many thoughts on the issue and was just wondering what other people thought or if they even think about any of this? Please don't flame me too bad, just wanting some thoughts on the issue, thanks.
I will add, I face ethical decisions all the time when it comes to rental real estate. What to charge against the damage deposit. Evicting tenants because they can't pay the rent or giving them a chance. What if a college kid has to go home because a parent has cancer or something; do I still charge them the full term of the lease or cut them a break? Discrimination when it comes to screening tenants. Is something "worth" fixing up if it is "technically" not necessary? And on and on and on....I can tell you, I'm far from perfect.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
