The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building Virtual Real Estate

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Many of you older forum members will remember my earlier attempt at development of an online property. I think I learned some things from that failure and am now in the process of attempting to create something online again. (someday if I get time I can detail where my mistakes were)

This time rather than spend money, I am choosing to "bootstrap" and put no money into my ventures and only my time. I am taking time that I might otherwise be playing games and surfing and putting that time into a productive purpose. I ran across Squidoo (can't remember how) and thought that might be possible. Then I came here since I know that many here are incredibly web-savvy and ran across mention of the site HubPages. I went to check it out and have been writing there alot.

Currently, I have 46 hubs, 5 lenses at Squidoo, and 9 articles at eHow. I know that it is not "fastlane" but I have learned much in the past 2 months about writing good content, backlinks, SEO, keywords, keyword research. I knew nothing about this stuff and am by no means an expert, but I at least can follow a discussion or article.

Again, not "fastlane" but I have earned $4 in June, $7 in July, and am hoping for $10 in August via HubPages. Since I started writing recently for eHow, I haven't earned anything yet. My ultimate goal is to create the equivalent of virtual real estate. I know what it would take to get 20% down on a SFH in central Indiana and know the cash flow that I would expect to receive. I would like to accomplish the same type of cash flow in one year on the web by writing content. I certainly think it is feasible.

I would like to thank the forum for the encouragement that is given here. I appreciate those who voted for me on the HubNuggets contest. I can't say thanks enough. That was a big encouragement. Who knows what may develop from this effort, but I know I feel better trying and failing than never having tried at all.

PS-I started a blog to chronicle my online efforts and will try to bring periodic updates back to this thread also.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Congrats on action and first earnings! Looking forward to how you will do! ;)
Cheers

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Thanks, gymjunkie.
I will be sure to keep you posted. It can get quite overwhelming at times when you see few results from your work. I have had 3 days in a row without any ad revenue but then I have to remind myself that I had a 9 day drought in June and continued to have many 4 and 5 day dry spells in July. I long for the day when I can just get a little each day. It will come in due time. Despite feeling somewhat down, I was able to keep publishing and traffic is holding its own. Will see what it all brings.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks, gymjunkie.
I will be sure to keep you posted. It can get quite overwhelming at times when you see few results from your work. I have had 3 days in a row without any ad revenue but then I have to remind myself that I had a 9 day drought in June and continued to have many 4 and 5 day dry spells in July. I long for the day when I can just get a little each day. It will come in due time. Despite feeling somewhat down, I was able to keep publishing and traffic is holding its own. Will see what it all brings.

Just take action.... you will earn money..just do some small steps and then they will compounds in to big things ;)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Not sure what it is you are doing... are you writing articles and linking them back to your blog and making revenue there? If not, that is the ideal situation because you can control the ad's and their placements. Eitherway congrats on moving forward and earning a little money.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Kidgas, building something small like you have is a great way to learn the ropes and become familiar with the basics. Don't get wrapped up in what you're doing not being "fastlane"...an entrepreneur's income works differently than an employee's. MJ has written about this here and on his blog...even has a great little graph which maps it out. It almost always starts very low but builds exponentially. If you're bootstrapping your operation and building it from the ground up with no capital investment, the growth is going to be slow. But it looks as if it's building. Keep it moving in the right direction...how are you making money now? The only thing I'd say is focus on monetizing with a system that is leveraged and will allow you to grow to the level you're shooting for.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Lighthouse and rxcknrxll,
I am writing articles and linking some to the blog. Others are linked from the blog. The source of earnings is strictly Adsense at this time. Yes, the money is little but the knowledge that I am gaining is priceless.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you made $7 from HubPages, imagine what HubPages is making .... Is there anyway you can get out of the passenger seat and into the driver seat so you can control the revenue flow?

You have learned that the down payment on virtual real estate is TIME and CONSISTENCY.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Lighthouse and rxcknrxll,
I am writing articles and linking some to the blog. Others are linked from the blog. The source of earnings is strictly Adsense at this time. Yes, the money is little but the knowledge that I am gaining is priceless.

Adsense is a good way to make money if you're pulling in tons of traffic. Most people seem to focus on advertising when it comes to making money online, but the truth is that there are much more profitable things to consider. In other words, MJ is right.

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not knocking what you're doing. The experience is great and teaches you a lot, and you're just getting started. I'm just hoping to inspire you to consider other options when it comes to monetizing your traffic. Affiliate products can be a step in the right direction, because if your traffic is targeted enough, you can earn considerably more per visitor than you'll ever make with Adsense or any other advertising module.

Far better is monetizing with a product you've created and/or control yourself. Or a service that is highly leveragable. Just a couple things to consider. Adsense is gravy; you still need the meat. I have more than one website that gets only a few thousand visitors a month. With Adsense I'd be lucky to make $100 a month with a site like that. But since the traffic I get is highly targeted, and the services I provide through those sites are owned and controlled by me...and are expensive, the sites are highly profitable, even with just a few thousand visitors a month.

I write a blog called Next Level Blogger which talks about this stuff. I come from direct sales, not tech or big media, so I admittedly have a different take on internet marketing than a lot of people do. I've learned you can make tens of thousands of dollars in an hour, sitting down with just one qualified prospect. When it comes to working online however, somehow we want to settle for $3CPM. I don't know why. Of course I'm not saying don't use Adsense. Adsense rocks...but as long as it's your bread and butter...all you're going to eating is bread and butter. Or maybe Ramen. Ramen is good too :)

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Post articles on Ezine Articles and link to your blog. That way you wont share earnings with HubPages or anyone else..

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
This is all great information, and I thank you all. I am, in fact, just getting started and don't have a product to speak of at this point. I am working full time so this is done in my spare time spent on the computer as opposed to wasting time playing games. I hope to eventually work my way into the driver's seat but will see what develops over time. Obviously, I will try to keep you informed and updated.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
This is all great information, and I thank you all. I am, in fact, just getting started and don't have a product to speak of at this point. I am working full time so this is done in my spare time spent on the computer as opposed to wasting time playing games. I hope to eventually work my way into the driver's seat but will see what develops over time. Obviously, I will try to keep you informed and updated.
you're doing it right...that's how you build something great. Keep it up! Building a business in your spare time TOTALLY beats video games/tv or whatever. It tends to end up paying way better too:yourock:

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca

Good for you! Sacrifice in the beginning goes a long way!

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Thank you both very much. I am still writing and it looks like I will make over $20 this month. Not a lot, but I continue to read and learn as well. I am definitely thinking about how to move into the driver's seat, just not sure how to go about it yet. Believe me when I say that I will continue to think and ponder but also act when appropriate.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Building a business in your spare time TOTALLY beats video games/tv or whatever.

I used to listen to a group whose name slips me right now but the rapper mentioned that "TV is the drug of the nation, feeding ignorance ...". I still feel that's true and limit the amount of TV that I watch.

Tom

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
tchandy,
In the last 2 or 3 months, I have watched about 30 minutes of TV. However, now that football season is bearing down on us, I will be watching more. But I DVR so I can blitz through and watch a game in 45 minutes. When the new TV seasons start, I do watch CSI so I usually spend about 2-3 hours per week watching TV during the winter. What a slug I am!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I used to listen to a group whose name slips me right now but the rapper mentioned that "TV is the drug of the nation, feeding ignorance ...". I still feel that's true and limit the amount of TV that I watch.

Tom

I love that song:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA"]YouTube - television the drug of the nation[/ame]

I also like TV, so go figure. Life is full of paradoxes.

TV is not the problem, it is the symptom. We use the TV to fill up space to avoid becoming successful. That's way "not watching TV" is not going to get anyone closer to their goals... most will simply find another way (drug) to use to avoid facing what needs to be done.

The problem is always inside of us, doesn't work to blame external factors or things.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Quick update: Things are starting to "click" (pun intended). It looks like I will make over $28 dollars online this month from Adsense. My goal for August was $12. I have almost 100 articles between HubPages and eHow and will keep on publishing content for awhile. I suspect by the end of the year if I can keep up this pace, I will have my first "virtual property" generating $150 per month. Not exactly passive since I am putting in lots of work but it is cool to be earning while learning.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Congrats, it is awesome to see you sticking to it and celebrating every little victory.

Do you have a plan to buy a domain and hosting and start building your own site? Seems to me this is a "next step" for you: start building your own *virtual real estate* :)

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I thought it would time for a quick update on progress thus far:

My tentative income goal for September was $60 for the month (or $2/day). It doesn't look like I will make it, but I have already earned more than last month. I will post my first 4 months of earnings on my blog after September is done.

I have made some progress. I now have 88 Hubs and would like to post 2 more to get to 90 by October 1. eHow articles stand at 38. Again 2 more for an even number by October 1. I am also now on InfoBarrel and Xomba. In fact, I just got my first InfoBarrel revenue today with only 3 articles. I want to finish building out some Hubs and then work with eHow and InfoBarrel gradually increasing my article count and traffic.

Traffic is up 50% this month. Of course, that is off a small base so that growth rate won't continue, but I plan to keep working on it.

I am watching videos from the 30 Day Challenge in my "spare" time. LOL. Boy am I learning a lot.

I am maintaining my blog and have started another one yesterday on real assets as well. All in all, it is going well. I don't think it will be too long before I try my hand at a niche site. Anyway, I am having fun learning new skills.

thetalover

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Sep 30, 2009
Oh yes I watched 30 day challenge as well. Great info in there. I'm also learning alot on this forum and this thread in particular. Wow. What a wealth of info in this forum! (pun intended)

crystite

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 20, 2009
Kidgas,

I admire what you're doing and the dedication you have to it. I want to encourage you though to get your own domain from now, even if you don't plan to build it up right now. The older a domain is in google's eyes, the easier it is to rank in google. So get a domain from now, and at least get it indexed.

With all those other pages you have been building, it should be easy to get some good backlinks to your own site. And when I say your own site, I'm not talking about your blogspot blog. You want to build your own property so you can sell it if you want, and also so that you don't suffer if say the true owner decides to shut down or change the terms. Just imagine if blogspot disappeared, or if the terms changed such that you couldn't earn with adsense. That could severly impact you. Best to have your own place. You seem to have earned enough money already to afford some decent hosting.

In the long run you should earn more with your own site, since you won't have to share the revenue with those other sites.

sam40

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 8, 2009
Hello. I think the article is really interesting. I am even interested in reading more. How soon will you update your blog?

CandleLove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 13, 2009
Hi

I agree with Crystite. What you're doing is great and I'm sure you're learning a lot. Making a little money, too.

But when you post articles on someone else's site, you're making them rich. Once you get your own domain, all that work will go to benefit you and you alone.

You've seen the power of the Net and have experienced a little of what it takes. Take the next step. It's very rewarding.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I agree with crystite as well. The next step will be to work on my own niche site in a topic about which I have a passion. The earnings from HubPages, eHow and Xomba will fund that site.

I am almost (0.88 away) to my first Google payout. That means I should get a $100 check by the end of the year. I will place into my paypal account and fund my own domain.

What opinions do people have of hostgator? Thanks.

Also, I have been conducting an SEO Experiment on my blog using HubPages and the other sites to create a link wheel. I posted the info on my blog. I made position 5 in 16 days with the targeted phrase. This served as a dry run for my own domain.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I agree with crystite as well. The next step will be to work on my own niche site in a topic about which I have a passion. The earnings from HubPages, eHow and Xomba will fund that site.

I am almost (0.88 away) to my first Google payout. That means I should get a $100 check by the end of the year. I will place into my paypal account and fund my own domain.

What opinions do people have of hostgator? Thanks.

Also, I have been conducting an SEO Experiment on my blog using HubPages and the other sites to create a link wheel. I posted the info on my blog. I made position 5 in 16 days with the targeted phrase. This served as a dry run for my own domain.

If you got with hostgator post up, im sure someone here (myself in cluded) has a refferal link for you. i use them and 1&1 who i would not recommend. I do like hostgator for shared hosting. There is a coupon for $.01 for your first month, I also suggest getting the domain from somewhere like godaddy, which you can also get a coupon for. Let us know when you get to that point.

Also be-careful with linkwheels, once something in seo goes widely adopted the value goes down a bit, you have to be very careful interlinking those properties.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Just a quick update. I am getting a little more traffic gradually on the blog and starting to think about niche sites. I am almost to the point of being able to self fund it so I will likely get started just after the first part of the year. I have a huge work project that I need to get done in the next few months so the site will take a backseat for now.

I have made Google payout. That check will go into the paypal account and fund the hostgator/domain after I get the work thing done.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Just a quick update. I am getting a little more traffic gradually on the blog and starting to think about niche sites. I am almost to the point of being able to self fund it so I will likely get started just after the first part of the year. I have a huge work project that I need to get done in the next few months so the site will take a backseat for now.

I have made Google payout. That check will go into the paypal account and fund the hostgator/domain after I get the work thing done.

Right on man, keep working it. You rock. Keep building it, and you'll get the results!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.