The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a browser extension empire

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reflections on 2023

At the start of 2023, I did not have a business. I had a small web extension (or plug-in) that had 952 users but was not monetized.

As of now, I have almost 2800 users in total and out of these users, I have 57 paid ones (approximately).

That gives us a conversion rate of approximately 2% which is abysmal, let's not kid ourselves.

The MRR has gone down since November and is now around $2500 with an LTV of $300.

The CAC is around 0 since I am not doing any marketing besides writing blog posts.

How to build a business in 2024

I think that starting with something small that had a single feature, was a good way to get the ball rolling.

I did not have to worry about the competition too much as the competition was busy fighting with each other.

My extension did one thing and 1 thing only but it did it well.

I think this confirms that the way to succeed these days is to create an MLP instead of an MVP.

If you are not familiar with those acronyms, you can read more about them in the link below:

MVP vs MLP

MVP stands for Minimal Viable Product which means that you create the most bare-bones functioning product that works but can also look like crap and with a non-intuitive design straight out of the 2000s.

That may have worked at one point but nowadays, I think the best bet is to go with the MLP or Minimum Lovable Product.

It is the same principle as the MVP but this time, you‘ll spend more time on the UX/UI to make your product very lovable(think nice animations, nice branding/colors, cool name) and very intuitive to use.

How far you take it depends on you and there is no clear consensus as to when an MVP becomes an MLP.

Use your gut but don’t spend too much time before launching.

Praise for managed services

I use MongoDB which is hosted on Mongo Atlas for my database needs. I use Vercel to host my web application and I use the Chrome Web Store to distribute my extension/plug-in.

I always go back to this article when in doubt about what I should spend my time time on:

11 years of hosting a SaaS
Could I save a few bucks by deploying my application on AWS myself? Sure, but I would lose some sleep over it.

Could I save more money by using something other than MongoDB? Also possible.

Is it worth it? I don’t think so. Spending money on services that allow you to sell your product is not an expense, it’s an investment.

When you start thinking about adding more functionality to your product, start by looking at managed services that specialize in what you're trying to achieve.

I use another service to run cron jobs. I could build my own Node application, deploy it, manage my own jobs, and I would pay 5 dollars a month but I have to maintain it, secure it, update it.

I would rather spend time making more money than maintaining another application. This is what most people who start SaaS companies get wrong at the beginning.

You should spend your time building things that make your product better, not nickel and dimming your way to profitability.

There is always the possibility to optimize your costs down the line as long as you are profitable from the start.

A premium business is better

Do not be afraid to charge a higher price point than your competition. I price my product based on value not based on features.

I barely hear from my paying users unless I am the one reaching out. My free users on the other hand are never satisfied. There is such a thing as bad customers.

Free users are great for vanity metrics(think number of installs, page views, and so on) and early feedback but they don’t pay the bills and never will.

It is madness to think that if you bend over enough for your free users, that they will suddenly transition to paid users.

Most of my paying users pay without even finishing the free trial.

Free users are a PITA. That is why in 2024, I will ask for a CC for the free trial accounts. It should cut down on the free users signing up and inundating me with requests for features.

Be a product led company, not a feature led company

If you don't know where you are going, how do you expect to get there?

It’s fine at the beginning to not necessarily know where you will be at month number 6 or 12 but if you have a product that is more than 3 months old, you should already have an idea of where you want the product to be in the next 12 months.

I personally write everything I can possibly think of in a Google document, I let the ideas simmer and I get back to it later once I have had time to think about them.

Because of this process, I now have a good idea of the direction I want to take the company towards.

This means I can easily say yes or no when a customer requests a feature. If it fits in the overarching vision of the product, then I may consider putting the feature on the road map and if not, I can tell the user that it won't happen.

Do not be afraid to turn down customers.

I am never shy when it comes to telling the truth to my users. If a user is not happy, I prefer to cancel their subscription, refund their last payment and move on. No point trying to get blood from a stone.

When given the choice, the user can either accept things as they are now or move on and the choice is on them which makes it easy on my side to cut them loose.

This obviously needs to be done in a professional way. We are all adults here, no need to be a dick about it.

There are good days and bad days

Leave your ego at the door and keep your emotions out of the decisions. This is a business not therapy.

If a user is mad, take it on the chin and move on. If you are pissed at a customer, go for a walk. Nothing good can come out of you being a prick to your users.

Remember, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation and only 5 minutes to destroy it.

Some days, you feel like you are making zero progress, that the whole thing is just a waste of time and that getting a Switch and powering through Zelda for the next 2 weeks might be a good idea.

My answer to you is : this too shall pass.

Things are not bad forever and they are not good forever. The life of a business owner is made of many ups and downs.

If you are not comfortable with that and expect a smooth ride into the sunset, I think it would be wise to pause and make sure that this is the life you want for you and your family.

9 to 5 becomes 24/7

If you were not happy with your work life balance before starting a business, then Oh boy do I have to warn you to stay away from entrepreneurship!

The business becomes part of your life like nothing else. It is always there in the background. If you hope to have more free time, then think again!

It’s not going to happen, at least not during the first few years of your business being created.

After some time has passed and after you’ve put more systems in place, then maybe you'll be able to unplug, but for me, this hasn't happened yet and it won't happen for many years I believe.

There is just too much to build, too much to do. I am at its beck and call.

Don’t quit your job (yet)

We all have this dream to never work again for the “man”, to own our schedules and be able to take a day off or not work for a week if we want to.

I too share the same goals but it is delusional to want to quit your job the day the business is created.

If your business is not bringing at least whatever it is you make at your day job after taxes, then quitting your job just puts more pressure on yourself to succeed and to do it quickly.

The problem is that this kind of success is rare.

Most of the time you will try 3 or 4 different ideas before you find the one that works and then it will take even more time before you can live off of your business.

Take some time to read the examples below of slow and long SaaS ramp of death:

The Long, Slow SaaS Ramp of Death - Thomas Carney
Navigating the long, slow SaaS ramp of death - Baremetrics

Instead I suggest you be smart about it.

Try to negotiate going part-time for a while or use the laws of your state/country to your advantage.

For me, I went part-time for 3 months between April and July 2023. I worked 3 days a week at my job and 3 days a week (plus evenings and mornings) on my business.

In 2023 I learned that in Sweden, I could request to go on unpaid leave for 6 months and still keep my job.

That means that if everything goes to shit in 2024, I can go back to my old job in a heartbeat and the financial ruin can be averted.

Nobody told me this, I had to seek this information by myself. Don’t expect anyone to volunteer any information freely.

If you want to make it in this business of working for yourself, then you need to learn this: the buck stops with you.

You are the one who is responsible, you are the person in charge, it is up to you to secure your future to the best of your availability.

If you can’t or won’t put in the work required to succeed, then there is no one else to blame but yourself.

Look at the trend

It is better to take a step back and look at the trend of where things are going instead of focusing on the daily shenanigans. That doesn't mean you don’t need to show up everyday and do the work.

It simply means that most of the work you do will only pay off in the future:
- Write a few blog posts and see them rank in a few months.
- Get an affiliate partnership and watch the money roll in 3 months from now.
- Revamp your homepage and watch the conversions increase slightly over the next few months.

You get the gist.

Things take time and you'll need to be somewhat patient to see the results of your hard work.

Be like a monk, learn to be patient and accept that some things will take longer than you expected.

Time is better than money

If you had asked me 3 or 4 years ago what I most wanted after “making it”, I would have probably told you: a fast car, a big house, and stuff to fill the house from top to bottom.

Today I want only one thing: time.

Time is the most important thing in my opinion. There is never enough of it and it is and always will be limited.

Even if my business only allows me to live the same lifestyle as I am living now as an employee, as long as it allows me to have more free time in the future, then I would still consider myself wealthy.

To not have to show up at a given time 5 days a week is something that I long for. I wasn’t made for a 9 to 5 but the golden handcuffs almost made me forget that I was in a prison.

I want time to read books, to talk to the people I love, to do what I want during the day without having to ask permission. That to me is truly being wealthy.

I hope 2024 is the last year where I have to put up with this 9 to 5 schedule and I hope you do too.

2024 and beyond

I am not big on making commitments for the future. I think the whole premise of the new year's resolutions is just a cop out to do nothing until January each year but each to their own I say.

My goal for 2024 is to finally end my employment at my job and to maintain the same lifestyle I currently have but this time, paid for by my business. Anything above that is going to be a bonus.

That doesn't mean that I am not aiming to multiply my revenue and profit by 10 this year, not at all, in fact, I want to multiply it by 20, but it is also important to know what a wishful outcome is and what a satisfying outcome is.

Either way, I am going to work like a mad man and I will give it everything I have because our lives are too short to spend them having regrets.

I wish you all an amazing 2024 and I hope you succeed but if you haven't reached your goals just yet, don’t give up and try again.

The world is full of opportunities, 99% of people are too busy watching TikTok to notice but not you.

You got this.

Believe in yourself and be kind to yourself.
Take care.

Thread moved to GOLD, thanks for sharing your insights.

This business, no matter how it ends or proceeds, was a WIN. Congrats to yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Thread moved to GOLD, thanks for sharing your insights.

This business, no matter how it ends or proceeds, was a WIN. Congrats to yourself.

Thanks a lot for the Gold. I did not expect that.

This forum and your books changed my life, they opened my eyes to new possibilities and I am very grateful for it.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Thank you, I read all your post. Very inspiring.
I'm currently halfway through the Odin Project's React course, then NodeJs course and then try to get a part-time job and launch my app and heavily market it through TIkTok.

Still there is much to learn and work to do so this post is not wishful writing but something concrete.

Hope you do great in 2024 !

Nice. it's great that you are going through the Odin project. I personally used FreeCodeCamp which is completely free as well. (not saying the Odin project is bad)

I will try my hand at TikTok marketing in 2024 as well (potentially)

I hope you do well as well in 2024.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Nice job!! I've had a profitable SaaS since before it was called SaaS that's been on autopilot for quite a long time.

* freemium was never appealing because of the support burden
* converting free accounts to paid accounts is very difficult (with rare exceptions for some biz models)
* reducing churn is MUCH more important than adding new accounts for increasing MRR
* be extremely judicious in implementing new features based on user requests (NO is usually the right answer)

I recently came across a guy in the UK (Rick Blythe) pimping out a micro-SaaS Chrome Extensions course. Didn't read too much, but worth skimming over his ebook to get some ideas. Another fantastic reference is Rob Walling who's puts out a tremendous amount of valuable content over the years. Really smart guy. He knows the 1-3 person tech software/app space extremely well.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Congrats on reaching the goal Tau! I just read the thread and it's really inspiring how you started form finding a gap in the marketplace to creating an MVP and just getting feedback to improve it from there. Here's to much more in the future *clink*.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Look at the trend

It is better to take a step back and look at the trend of where things are going instead of focusing on the daily shenanigans. That doesn't mean you don’t need to show up everyday and do the work.

It simply means that most of the work you do will only pay off in the future:
- Write a few blog posts and see them rank in a few months.
- Get an affiliate partnership and watch the money roll in 3 months from now.
- Revamp your homepage and watch the conversions increase slightly over the next few months.

You get the gist.

Things take time and you'll need to be somewhat patient to see the results of your hard work.

Be like a monk, learn to be patient and accept that some things will take longer than you expected.
I admire your journey and your patience, but this is definitely something I could never do. If I was doing SEO / writing blog posts every day I’d wake up obsessed about doing keyword research and what topics to cover and writing and what not. I’d want to push out at least 1 great article a day. I’d be 100% obsessed and would probably be driven crazy by it and stop if I saw no results in 30-60 days.

I have no patience and I can’t stand it knowing I have more tasks to do on my plate. I just want the billions faster. Funnily enough I didn’t build all the assets I have today by being patient, I was always desperate to get it all done and over with faster. I just moved from one thing to another continuously, in the same desperate manner as I gained more and more ideas I could test. That’s why I frequently say that I couldn’t do it again, knowing all that it takes. I wouldn’t start lol — 0 patience.

Not saying my attitude is healthy, but I don’t know how to be any different. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not one of those dumb “I’ll be a trillionaire” doing nothing idiots, but I can’t say I’m one of those Michael Singer let’s chill and enjoy the journey types either.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
January 2024 update

This month, I started by tackling a lot of underlying issues that were standing in my way of delivering new features. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the code base and improving the performance of some critical workflows.

The MRR was $USD 2612 at the end of the month. It has recovered since December 2023 but obviously needs to be a lot higher.

The upcoming month is dedicated to accelerate the rate of feature release and introduce a new plan. So far I have the Free plan,the Starter plan and I want to release the Pro plan, which will be priced at $99 per month.

I am also finally going to pull the trigger on removing the free trial without a CC. I need more qualified leads not just opportunistic people. Also a lot of Free users are reaching out with a lot of questions that are completely unrelated to my product.

So those are my objective for this month, and it's February so it's a short month, that means I need to hustle.

The goal for this year is to reach MRR USD 9K. This will allow me to have the exact same salary I have with my job and pay all taxes + expenses for the business.

I also need to have an extra USD 6K by the end of the year to buy two things that I will need:
- new Iphone (mine is 6 years old going on 7, still works but apps are starting to not open properly anymore and it's lagging pretty badly)
- new Mac, my wife's Mac unfortunately decided to die suddenly last week, so I gave her my old Mac (3 years old) and I am currently using my j day job's Mac to work.

Good luck to you all out there.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 17, 2024
This thread is an adventure. It’s so cool to watch your growth!

Wael

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 13, 2022
France
Thanks, I am trying to share the good and the bad. Hopefully It will be used by someone sometime in the future, not as guideline but as inspiration.
I've been following this thread from the beginning, and it's really inspiring. Thank you for sharing your journey. I recently bought a course on HTML/CSS to learn how to code websites, and I'll be taking the JavaScript one next. However, reading the first few lines of this thread has sparked a huge desire in me to create extensions as well. Can I do that, considering that to design your extensions, you use JavaScript, React, JQuery (which are languages also used in website development), or should I focus solely on creating websites?

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
I've been following this thread from the beginning, and it's really inspiring. Thank you for sharing your journey. I recently bought a course on HTML/CSS to learn how to code websites, and I'll be taking the JavaScript one next. However, reading the first few lines of this thread has sparked a huge desire in me to create extensions as well. Can I do that, considering that to design your extensions, you use JavaScript, React, JQuery (which are languages also used in website development), or should I focus solely on creating websites?
Hey man, I am glad that it inspires you. As for creating an extension, well i guess it depends if that is something that interests you. There are many examples online on how to get started.

Once you understand how they work, the sky is the limit.

I don't think anyone can tell you what you should focus on. It depends on your goals.

Absar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 9, 2023
Hey Tau Ceti, I've been following your thread from almost the start and your journey is truly an inspiration.

I have some decent skills in web dev and seeing your journey I want to build a web app or an chrome extension.

but I've recently become overwhelmed with WHAT TO BUILD.
I did some research and it was all find a niche/market and solve their problem.

but how do I find a market and a problem to solve?
I don't have any experience in an market apart from 'students' since I'm in highschool too.

can you please give some info on how can I find a problem to solve using my saas?
I would be grateful!
Thanks.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey Tau Ceti, I've been following your thread from almost the start and your journey is truly an inspiration.

I have some decent skills in web dev and seeing your journey I want to build a web app or an chrome extension.

but I've recently become overwhelmed with WHAT TO BUILD.
I did some research and it was all find a niche/market and solve their problem.

but how do I find a market and a problem to solve?
I don't have any experience in an market apart from 'students' since I'm in highschool too.

can you please give some info on how can I find a problem to solve using my saas?
I would be grateful!
Thanks.

Hey,

I don't have all the answers so take what I am about to say with grain of salt. If you want to build an extension, you can start by browsing the top 200 websites in the world and see if they have some functionality missing.

Then you add that functionality and make it work on the website. It can be something simple like:
- hide comments on Youtube
- add extra buttons that do other things, and so on..

Don't build extensions for:
- Linkedin
-Facebook
- or any app in general where you have to create an account.

The site needs to be publicly accessible, like for example reddit or Twitter or amazon

Linkedin and Facebook will not take it kindly if you start messing with them. Just my 2 cts.

Forget about building a SaaS now. Just get your extension out. 1 feature only and see if people install it. Then you can add more features. Then you can add a paywall and add even more features.

Start small. Just make something that works well. That's all.

Good luck.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey guys/ladies,

I realized I did not write an update for February.

February was not a good month, the MRR was stalling and the churn was high. I finished the month at $2600.

On top of that I did not manage to release the new plan before the end of the month which left me frustrated and doubtful.

That is as much as I can remember now.

I ll remember to be back at the end of March with hopefully better news. Sorry about the short update.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I just read through your whole thread for the first time.

I'm really inspired by your relentless progress and patience. You started this thread in Oct 2022 and now you have 2500+ MRR. That's amazing.

Curious if you ever implemented the email marketing to free users that you talked about. Also, you mentioned a rebrand. Is that completed?

Wishing you all the best!

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
I just read through your whole thread for the first time.

I'm really inspired by your relentless progress and patience. You started this thread in Oct 2022 and now you have 2500+ MRR. That's amazing.

Curious if you ever implemented the email marketing to free users that you talked about. Also, you mentioned a rebrand. Is that completed?

Wishing you all the best!
Thanks for your message.

I am happy you found the journey so far entertaining.

The email marketing is not yet operational but I am thinking about getting it started. I just haven't had the time yet.

The rebrand is also still in the works, I simply prioritized feature request and other bug fixes and therefore it got pushed back a bit.

March so far has been a gangbusters month, but I don't want to spoil my next monthly update.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
March 2024 update (not an April's fool joke)

After a few lackluster months at the beginning of the year, it's good to have a positive change.
The current MRR is $4017 and the business has 99 active customers.

As you can see from the image below the MRR increased a lot during March.

mrr-without-details.png

The number of customers also increased by a substantial number

mrr.png

I am pretty happy with the results.

So the most important question is why this happened?

I think part of the reason is because I introduced a new plan. This plan is cheaper than that Starter plan ($29 instead of $49) . This new plan is called Hobby.

Now I have a 3 subscription plans:
- Free plan ($0)
- Hobby plan($29/month)
- Starter plan($49/month)

I am also working on adding an enterprise plan at $349/month but it wont be ready for another month at least.

I also stopped free trials. The users who sign up now are not automatically enrolled in a free trial. In fact I have completely removed free trials entirely.

I added some new pages to explain what the extension does in details and highlighted the features included in each plan in a comparison table. This was the example I used when I designed those pages: Browser flow comparison tables

I also revamped the entire landing page and changed it to something simple. This was the example I used for the landing page redesign: Pallyy social media management

As you can see from the landing page example, I decided to simplify things because the previous landing page was just a mess and did not look professional at all.

Finally, I also reduced the refund window from 14 days to 7 days. If a user can't decide after 7 days if the product is not a good fit, then giving them an extra 7 days is not going to make a difference.

Overall it's been a great month.

I hope this growth can continue and I hope it wasn't just a one off but who knows it's to early to tell at this point. I will keep an eye on the churn and try to add the missing features that I need to deliver to gain these new customers.

Also I decided that no matter what, the rebranding will happen at the end of April.

I am bit scared of doing it because I know my SERP rankings are going to take a dive but it is not worth the risk of getting some kind of trademark infringement lawsuit or something like that happening to me.

So that's the plan. I hope you all have an amazing April.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
First of all, big congrats!
I am also working on adding an enterprise plan at $349/month but it wont be ready for another month at least.
At which point do you think a transition to going all-in/full-time makes sense for you? You've mentioned that you have a family to feed, so that makes decisions like that a little bit tougher I assume. At the same time, at this MRR and with your profit margins, don't you think you could make even more progress if you quit your job entirely? (getting more features done quickly, providing more value overall, etc.)

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
First of all, big congrats!

At which point do you think a transition to going all-in/full-time makes sense for you? You've mentioned that you have a family to feed, so that makes decisions like that a little bit tougher I assume. At the same time, at this MRR and with your profit margins, don't you think you could make even more progress if you quit your job entirely? (getting more features done quickly, providing more value overall, etc.)
Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding your question, as I said in some earlier posts, I am currently on unpaid leave from my job until July 1st of this year.

After that, it will depend if the business keeps growing or not.

My wife started working since she graduated from university (college for you yanks!) so the financial pressure has eased off because we now have two streams of income.

I have a mandatory 3 months notice period at my job so I will have to go back anyway to work my notice period.

My current thinking is that I will work from July to December at my job and finish on December 31st. That means I will most likely officially resign in September from my job.

This way for 6 months, we will have my wife's income, the business income and my salary. In truth this will allow us to make back the money I am currently losing now as I am on unpaid leave and therefore I dont have a paycheck currently.

My wife also want to resign at the end of the year as we are thinking of moving to Norway (Tromso) as we want to experience living in the Arctic circle for a year.

The most important tasks that I need to complete before returning back to work are:
- release the enterprise plan
- do the full rebrand
- add roughly 3000 automated tests to the Saas and extension

I need the tests because I will have less time at the end of the year since I will be working at my job, therefore I won't have time to manually check that everything is working manually as I am doing now.

I need something that saves me time. So automated tests it is. I already have a couple hundred tests live but the coverage is crap so that is one of my top priorities. This will also give me the confidence to release features faster since I wont have to worry that I may have broken something unexpectedly.

ValueSystems

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
- add roughly 3000 automated tests to the Saas and extension

I need the tests because I will have less time at the end of the year since I will be working at my job, therefore I won't have time to manually check that everything is working manually as I am doing now.

I need something that saves me time. So automated tests it is. I already have a couple hundred tests live but the coverage is crap so that is one of my top priorities. This will also give me the confidence to release features faster since I wont have to worry that I may have broken something unexpectedly.
Interesting, that does seem like a massive benefit indeed.

How do those tests work?

I know about puppeteer for testing websites, but doubt that works in the context of browser extensions (or does it?).

And even then, not sure how you'd structure this and what to test for.

Can you give a quick insight into that?

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Interesting, that does seem like a massive benefit indeed.

How do those tests work?

I know about puppeteer for testing websites, but doubt that works in the context of browser extensions (or does it?).

And even then, not sure how you'd structure this and what to test for.

Can you give a quick insight into that?

No worries. This is still subject to change but it will be a combination of API tests, UI tests and finally some basic uptime checks.

I think the API test will account for 85% to 90% of those tests probably.

This is one service I am thinking of using for the uptime tests: Online or not .

For the API test use mostly Jest + Chai (both JS libraries) and for the UI tests I am not sure yet but I will probably try to do something similar to what is described in this guide: UI tests guide with Nextjs

With the UI tests, you want to test that your components render properly base on a set of parameters. You can make these tests as simple or as complex as needed.

For the API tests, you wnat to test that the endpoints validate the users, and update the data according to the code. That can be quite complex depending of the actions that your endpoint do.

The uptime checks are quite easy because its done mostly through a GUI and those are just basic sanity checks. A sanity check is there as an early warning and it usually detects that a site is up or down and maybe you can also watch the latency. So if your site usually renders in less than 1s and after an update it takes 2s, then maybe something happened and that needs to be investigated.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
First week of April update.

Growth this month looks solid, MRR is creeping towards $4500.
The total revenue last week was $2500.

This is due to people buying annual plans and obviously gaining new subscribers.

I am utterly motivated to first break through the $5K MRR barrier and then the $10K MRR barrier before the end of the year.

I still don't think I have PMF yet but I am changing things for the better. I must keep pushing the envelope even though things are going well for now, it is not the time to rest on my laurels.

My dream is to get to $50K before the end of next year so I must hustle.

If you have any doubts about yourself or your business, please remember that last year in April my MRR was around $600. It takes time to create a viable business but it is worth it.

Don't give up.

Good luck to you out there.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
No worries. This is still subject to change but it will be a combination of API tests, UI tests and finally some basic uptime checks.

I think the API test will account for 85% to 90% of those tests probably.

This is one service I am thinking of using for the uptime tests: Online or not .

For the API test use mostly Jest + Chai (both JS libraries) and for the UI tests I am not sure yet but I will probably try to do something similar to what is described in this guide: UI tests guide with Nextjs

With the UI tests, you want to test that your components render properly base on a set of parameters. You can make these tests as simple or as complex as needed.

For the API tests, you wnat to test that the endpoints validate the users, and update the data according to the code. That can be quite complex depending of the actions that your endpoint do.

The uptime checks are quite easy because its done mostly through a GUI and those are just basic sanity checks. A sanity check is there as an early warning and it usually detects that a site is up or down and maybe you can also watch the latency. So if your site usually renders in less than 1s and after an update it takes 2s, then maybe something happened and that needs to be investigated.
On UI functional side industry standard has become cypress but webdriver/selenium still the go-to / still running in a lot of enterprise shops.

On UI unit side RTL (react-testing-library) but its very different than the typical approaches that have been around for a while like enzyme where you can't really be so particular about coverage %s since its more behavior driven (simulating functional/ui integration)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.