The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brand building:How important is the logo?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi,
I try to build a brand. for the logo I have some ideas. No, I have a concrete idea.
Something, which can be recogniced on one view.
Now is the question: when I simple take the writing in capital letters, it can be recogniced, too. And its allways easier to be reproduce.

2nd question:

I make a logo. than

Should I do it my own, maybe than its not absolutely perfect, and has some „corners and edges“

or should I let some pros do the finish?

my thoughts: I m no pro myself yet and I think it doesn’t matter to have some corners and edges. and when I see the market answer to my offers, I can change still.

I ask you about your thoughts about that.

PS: logo is action faking a long way, of course. But on goods I sell, I want to have it. So at least I want some stickers I can put on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
What about buying a logo from one of the many sellers on Fiverr? You can get a good-looking logo for about 20$ (or even less).

Yes, you get what you pay for, but paying 20$ and have it done by a professional is still better than paying 0$ and doing it yourself if you aren't a designer.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
Speaking from experience with fiverr logo design, don't go for the cheap ones. As the person above said, you get what you pay for.

I made one myself, and with constant asking feedback from other people I made a logo that was awesome even tho I am not a designer officially. The money spent on fiverr was wasted in my experience.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Not very.

How many logos can you remember right now , top of your head? , Ok now how many brand "jingles"? ,

Ok , what occurs to you when you read "geico"

How do you feel when you read "coca cola"

And what product or service do you offer anyway? You'll definitely want to devote more energy to this if you have some mass market idea vs say , how a chain of hospitals would brand themselves.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I have bought a couple logos on Fiverr and they were good. I bought the top tier which was like $60 and it came with unlimited revisions.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Many very successful companies have opted to just make a plain (but nice) text version of their name their "logo".

Example off the top of my head: Harry's Shave

By all means, go for a logo if you like, but it's not something to spend an inordinate amount of time on in most cases. Especially not in the early days when there are a million other things to do.

That being said, I personally used 99designs to build one for my last business. Really loved the final look I got but it took some time and more money than I cared for to get there. I've never had good luck on fiverr though.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
PS: logo is action faking a long way, of course. But on goods I sell, I want to have it. So at least I want some stickers I can put on it.

I think that's the key here. A logo isn't anything that will push the ball forward, and is an unnecessary cost in the beginning.

Do you really need it on your packaging right now, or could you use that money in a smarter way?

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
I think its least important, not very important.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Less important than most other things.

However a good logo can help your brand be memorable and recognized. Of course it doesn't matter if you don't solve a need or have good service.

I wish I had used 99 Designs. Very good value as you can set a budget and then have numerous designers compete to make you a logo to select from.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
I suggest you checkout the "Elements" logo feature in Canva.

In my opinion, for the start, a cool logo from there would do (the paid versions cost 1 pound), so its a great return for your money.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
How important is the company? Or the products you're offering?

Logo importance is directly proportional to that.

If you have zero brand equity, you have 100 more important things to worry about.

When in doubt, keep it simple. Opting for a wordmark is probably your best bet, unless you can pay somebody talented to make something more abstract.

Remember, a brand is not defined by a logo, but by an identity as a whole. A logo is often times just a small piece of that.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It is not a good idea to concentrate on a logo only.

If you want to build a brand you should develop a complete marketing program that involves understanding your potential customers, and using everything from brand name through: logo, slogan, labels, packaging (both inner and outer), all in such a way as to appeal to their wants, desires, and needs.

A great example of a logo that appeals to the emotions is Apple.

Most people, even those with no religious belief, are familiar with the bite being taken out of the fruit. So what emotions can that appeal to? Independence, rebellion, thinking outside the square, non-conformist.

Who doesn't like to see themselves as having at least one of those characteristics? The picture did it all, without a word being needed.

Walter

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I side see at FOX RACING , producing Offroad Clothes. They have th fox in their logo. Its recogniced miles away by INSIDERS.
So my thought was to go a similar way and create sometings with a face and eyes. Thats all.

But I ll just let them write the word on it for first. When I succeed to sell something, maybe I return to my idea.

BNeumann

Navigating The Seas
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Nov 9, 2017
Global Nomad
Hi,
I try to build a brand. for the logo I have some ideas. No, I have a concrete idea.
Something, which can be recogniced on one view.
Now is the question: when I simple take the writing in capital letters, it can be recogniced, too. And its allways easier to be reproduce.

2nd question:

I make a logo. than

Should I do it my own, maybe than its not absolutely perfect, and has some „corners and edges“

or should I let some pros do the finish?

my thoughts: I m no pro myself yet and I think it doesn’t matter to have some corners and edges. and when I see the market answer to my offers, I can change still.

I ask you about your thoughts about that.

Building a brand and getting a logo, when separated, are two very different pursuits. A logo is only action faking if it's done without any other or before other considerations. In order for a logo to make any sense (especially if it is a simple logo) it needs context. You need a brand story/USP that points to your purpose. But at some point a logo should be a part of your branding process- and at that point it is just action, not faking. And as with many things, you should begin with the end in mind if at all possible. In other words, if you're vision is to have many product lines under this parent brand then you need a logo or identity system that lends itself to that and can be versatile or evolving along with your brand. Logos do not in themselves need to be expensive. If you have the purpose and vision for the brand then you can get a logo in minutes (and just type is fine if it's legible and clean) and slap it on some stickers and evolve from there. But you should make sure you evolve it with a "pro" at some point. Because at a certain point "corners and edges" do matter and will speak volumes about a brand. My two cents. Wish you the best on your brand build!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
It is not a good idea to concentrate on a logo only.

If you want to build a brand you should develop a complete marketing program that involves understanding your potential customers, and using everything from brand name through: logo, slogan, labels, packaging (both inner and outer), all in such a way as to appeal to their wants, desires, and needs.

A great example of a logo that appeals to the emotions is Apple.

Most people, even those with no religious belief, are familiar with the bite being taken out of the fruit. So what emotions can that appeal to? Independence, rebellion, thinking outside the square, non-conformist.

Who doesn't like to see themselves as having at least one of those characteristics? The picture did it all, without a word being needed.

Walter

Well, today I did think much about that brand and my son said a solution: dad, he said, thats a good name for ablog about that, but itsa shitty name for a brand of that theme.

I doubted about the name from the beginning of my switch from blog to goods.

Now I will work through your book “..‘power lables...“in the hope to get the enlightenment.

Comparing competition na,es I think, a word and no logo will be my way.
Thank to all for the advices. It helped me a lot!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Now I will work through your book “..‘power lables...“in the hope to get the enlightenment.
Regardless of what logo you choose, keep in mind the advice I have written about maintaining control of the design process with logos and labels. Professional designers may be clever at producing very pretty logos and labels, but most seem to lack any understanding of the message that logos and labels are intended to present.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.