The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books on laziness

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
Whatsup everybody

I've seen a bunch of books on this subject but don't know how many are just filled with common sense. I'm looking for something that provides some methods and exercises to counter laziness. Anyone read some good stuff? please recommend.

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Whatsup everybody

I've seen a bunch of books on this subject but don't know how many are just filled with common sense. I'm looking for something that provides some methods and exercises to counter laziness. Anyone read some good stuff? please recommend.

Thank you!

Umm...you "seen" these books, or your "read" these books? ...And there ain't nothin' wrong with common sense; it's worked pretty well for me all these years. :)

...Can you talk a little more about what laziness means to you, how if affects your life, and what you've tried so far?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Have you gone to amazon?

Found anything?

Read any reviews of books that sounded good to you?

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I bought a few books on how to beat laziness but I was too lazy to read them.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
What is the problem, exactly?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Whatsup everybody

Thank you!

LOL. I found this post funny. My interpretation:

"Hi everyone, I'm lazy and I want to figure out how to stop being lazy. I searched and found some books about it but I'm too lazy to read them. Has anybody read them that could tell me what they are about?"

:thumbsup:

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
Thanks (for nothing) for mocking me biophase, but you're incorrect, I have no problem reading.

I'm simply asking for some book reco's.

"Umm...you "seen" these books, or your "read" these books? ...And there ain't nothin' wrong with common sense; it's worked pretty well for me all these years.

...Can you talk a little more about what laziness means to you, how if affects your life, and what you've tried so far?"

I'm sorry I used the wrong phrase. I don't want to read stuff that is all common knowledge and usually in every success book. Common sense is great. I haven't read any books on laziness yet. I read more in the past 6 months than I have in the past 5 years, wasn't that much of a reader till recently.

Not to sound like a smart-a$$ but laziness for me means the feeling of not wanting to do anything? lol, I think thats the only definition. It affects me like it would a lot of people. I slack on exercising, I procrastinate, put everything off to the last minute, and so on. I've tried basic stuff like just going against myself and getting into a routine of getting stuff done, I do good, but after a while the routine just dies out and i'm back where I started (@AroundTheWorld, that's probly the biggest problem).

So, ya got any reco's for me?

Thank you yveskleinsky.. btw I like that quote ya have in your sig

"Have you gone to amazon?

Found anything?

Read any reviews of books that sounded good to you?

-Russ H."

No Russ, I have not gone to Amazon for books on laziness. I did however browse in my local library and found a few books and read a little in each one and it all just sounds like motivational-ends-nowhere stuff. If you've read anything good on laziness, please hit me with some titles.

Thanks Russ.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I would say it is not a laziness problem but a passion problem. If you love doing something, odds are you are less likely to be lazy about it.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Not to sound like a smart-a$$ but laziness for me means the feeling of not wanting to do anything? lol, I think thats the only definition. It affects me like it would a lot of people. I slack on exercising, I procrastinate, put everything off to the last minute, and so on. I've tried basic stuff like just going against myself and getting into a routine of getting stuff done, I do good, but after a while the routine just dies out and i'm back where I started (@AroundTheWorld, that's probly the biggest problem).

...The reason I was asking how you defined laziness, is that your definition and mine are probably very different. ...Your definition of not wanting to do anything sounds more like depression, or as Kurt said, a lack of passion. I would be curious to hear more about this. ...Do you "slack" in every area of your life, or just certain areas? Have you always been like this? Why or why not? Where are you at and where do you (really) want to be? ...And why? Hopefully the answers you get will reveal more of what you need to do in order to be more productive. Keep us posted. :)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
It affects me like it would a lot of people. I slack on exercising, I procrastinate, put everything off to the last minute, and so on. I've tried basic stuff like just going against myself and getting into a routine of getting stuff done, I do good, but after a while the routine just dies out and i'm back where I started

When you define laziness in this manner, it is a symptom, not a problem.

In essence, you are receiving more benefit from not getting your goals completed, than you are from actually sticking to your routine and accomplishing things.

If you have core beliefs that would be threatened or relationships that would be upended by you completing your goals, then you will need to be able to let go of and heal these beliefs while you work towards your goals.

If you can't, or don't have the maturity to essentially re-parent yourself as you move forward, then symptoms like laziness, procrastination, distractions will all show up. They are simply self-created protection devices designed to keep you comfortable and maintain your internal and external status quo.

I'd suggest starting a diary, and get to know what is going on (being really honest) when you experience laziness...you'll soon discover the real issues that are holding you back.

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
"...The reason I was asking how you defined laziness, is that your definition and mine are probably very different. ...Your definition of not wanting to do anything sounds more like depression, or as Kurt said, a lack of passion. I would be curious to hear more about this. ...Do you "slack" in every area of your life, or just certain areas? Have you always been like this? Why or why not? Where are you at and where do you (really) want to be? ...And why? Hopefully the answers you get will reveal more of what you need to do in order to be more productive. Keep us posted."

Lack of passion seems about right. More so just certain areas. Yes i've always been like that, started a lot at the age when junior high started and there was a lot more responsibility as a kid. I think the reason for it is because I was not disciplined that much raised by a single mom always working and tired. Right now I am out of a job (I'm definitely working on changing that though), living with my mom (BTW, I'm not 30 something, I'm 18 lol) in an apartment I have no bedroom in. I do a moving service myself for some cash but its only like 50-100 bucks here and there. I have plenty of free time but use about 8 hours a day stupidly. Where I really want to be is in my own place (a living room for a bedroom really gets to you after a while), wise with my time, on a good exercise routine, eating healthy, in the real estate business, etc/all that good stuff.

Thanks yveskleinsky. What is your definition of laziness?

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
"When you define laziness in this manner, it is a symptom, not a problem.

In essence, you are receiving more benefit from not getting your goals completed, than you are from actually sticking to your routine and accomplishing things.

If you have core beliefs that would be threatened or relationships that would be upended by you completing your goals, then you will need to be able to let go of and heal these beliefs while you work towards your goals.

If you can't, or don't have the maturity to essentially re-parent yourself as you move forward, then symptoms like laziness, procrastination, distractions will all show up. They are simply self-created protection devices designed to keep you comfortable and maintain your internal and external status quo.

I'd suggest starting a diary, and get to know what is going on (being really honest) when you experience laziness...you'll soon discover the real issues that are holding you back."

Good info sir, I remember reading something about the whole comfort zone thing recently

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What moves you? What do you do in your free time?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Okay, so tell me about music production. How many hours a day/week do you do this? ...Would you say it's a passion?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Ok--well then it sounds like it's more an issue of motivation than it is of laziness. ...So what do you enjoy about music production?

BTW, my definition of lazy only pertains to me--and lazy for me is when I'm not living up to my potential. I can work on a project for 12 hours and still feel lazy if I knew I could've given more. ...I'm also really driven, and really hard on myself. ...I don't think these are necessarily qualities any sane person would want to develop, lol.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Okay, cool. So now give me an example of an area of your life that you are wanting to be more motivated in. ...'Cause now we know you aren't lazy. :)

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
lol...

Eatin' right and exercising. But most of all just not wasting time. I get pissed at myself for wasting time but it feels too good lol

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
spb1024-

I could reco books I like, but what do I know about you?

Not much.

You and I may-- or may not-- have lots of things in common.

So the reason I posted the amazon q was to say:

What have you done to find books that speak to YOU???

I could give you recommendations out the wazoo, but they're not going to be helpful if they don't speak to what you're looking for.

To who you are as a person, or what you're going through.

And while going to the book store and scanning a few titles/books is fun, it's a hard way to find good stuff.

When I want to find a book on a topic, I go to amazon, search for a topic (like "procrastination" or "motivation"), find what's popular, and read a few descriptions --AND-- reviews from readers.

I can usually find a book that suits me after about 10-30 min of doing this.

Which is why I made this suggestion-- I wasn't being a smartass.

I was giving you the advice I use when I want to find a book.

-Russ H.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
WORK is coming out against laziness!!

COURAGE is coming out against fear!!

LOVE is the exercise of work or courage, no exceptions!

However not all work and courage is love.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Excellent analysis and advice to the OP's problem Jon and Yves!

If this Fastlane thing doesn't work out for you guys, you should look into careers as psychologists. :D

spb1024

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 4, 2009
FL & NY
spb1024-

I could reco books I like, but what do I know about you?

Not much.

You and I may-- or may not-- have lots of things in common.

So the reason I posted the amazon q was to say:

What have you done to find books that speak to YOU???

I could give you recommendations out the wazoo, but they're not going to be helpful if they don't speak to what you're looking for.

To who you are as a person, or what you're going through.

And while going to the book store and scanning a few titles/books is fun, it's a hard way to find good stuff.

When I want to find a book on a topic, I go to amazon, search for a topic (like "procrastination" or "motivation"), find what's popular, and read a few descriptions --AND-- reviews from readers.

I can usually find a book that suits me after about 10-30 min of doing this.

Which is why I made this suggestion-- I wasn't being a smartass.

I was giving you the advice I use when I want to find a book.

-Russ H.

I didn't take it that way at all Russ, was just answering your question dude lol

I appreciate the advice though :cheers:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
lol...

Eatin' right and exercising. But most of all just not wasting time. I get pissed at myself for wasting time but it feels too good lol

There is a saying out there that people are motivated by either inspiration or desperation--but most people are most motivated by the latter.

So...this means that you need to focus on associating wasting time with feeling good, and make it feel really bad. Tony Robbins has a bunch of info on this. ...And I would HIGHLY recommend that if you are looking for a place to start, go dig up some Tony at your local library, or on CD. I've listened to his CDs no less than about 50 times per CD over the years, and I always learn something new.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yves, As I was writing out my response yesterday, I kept thinking "just tell him Tony Robbins"-- b/c he's helped so many people, from varying backgrounds.

But I've frustrated some folks I don't know well when I recommend Tony or RK-- they've told me later they just couldn't relate-- didn't "click" with them. So now I do the "research amazon" suggestion for folks I don't know.

-Russ H.

Fave Tony link below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpc-t-Uwv1I]YouTube - Tony Robbins: Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better[/ame]

speed-racer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 6, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Hello.

Sometimes the best motivation for not being lazy is to take a look at those who are, whether in your own family or not. Either they are still living with their parent(s) and over 30 years old or they are very overweight because of a lazy attitude or both. A lot of times, they don't have anything and are unhappy and try to discourage others from making something of themselves (misery loves company). Neither are desirable qualities. Those same folks can be great motivators for you, though - to do whatever it takes to not end up like them.

Sometimes, you don't need a book on laziness for this scenario. Find books on what will help you achieve success whether following your passion in music or maybe you have another marketable skill that can be further developed.

You're young, so you have a big advantage. The world is your oyster, but you don't have time to waste in getting 'there' either. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.