The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Black Friday: Shaking My Head ...

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I can't help but shake my head watching all the news coverage for Black Friday talking about how much shoppers are "saving" ...

"Saving" ...? Is that what we call it these days? I call it "spending." And (as MJ observes) wanton consumerism is the root of most servitude.

All I see are hoardes of irresponsible people unknowingly surrendering their freedom.

Thanks, but no thanks. I want no part of it.

And when I see people camping out in front of Best Buy ... I think ... how little must this person value his or her time to do that? And for what ...? To buy a big screen television? And you wonder why their time is worth so little. Piss poor decisions like that. Nuts.

The only thing I purchased today was an customizable open-source software package I can use to launch an online information marketing business. "Happy Black Friday" to me ...

Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest (shaking my head) ...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Great point, counselor. That is what the government tells us though, right? When we spend less than the projected spending amount, we call that "savings."

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I only think of coming up with a product that have people line up for hours to buy them in mass.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I sold a few this year. We had a $29.99 eReader at one national retailer that blew out in a few hours, and we also hit a home run with some refurbished tablets that sold out online.

I talked with someone connected to Wal-Mart in Bentonville, AR. At their corporate office, they have a "war room" set up with 24 hour coverage by corporate executives and merchant buyers. They're studying sales results, price point response, and foot traffic and responding to store requests in real time.

That will probably last through Saturday, but my guess is they might do a scaled back version of this war room through Christmas. It's probably a very effective way to drive additional sales, and consistent with Sam's Walton's philosophy that the corporate executives should be working during the extended hours that they ask their employees ("associates" in Wal-Mart language) to work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Black Friday" and "The Zombie Apocalypse" is probably one chromosome away from being identical.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, I confess. I gave in, too much temptation... bought 3 units (Buy one get two free, plus free shipping) from our own LipZen.com using a coupon she sent me through her mailing list.

I've been a bad boy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well, I confess. I gave in, too much temptation... bought 3 units (Buy one get two free, plus free shipping) from our own LipZen.com using a coupon she sent me through her mailing list.

OMG, this makes me smile. Did you order in your underwear? HA Ha. Thanks for supporting a fellow Fastlaner!! :eusa_clap:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think .com orders are the intelligent and civilized alternative to the animals that sleep in a tent for 2 days in front of Wal-Mart to save $20 on a curling iron.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Did you order in your underwear? HA Ha.
Are you watching me again through that webcam????

heeeee I was not scratching them... well, I was, but you see, they were reaaaally itchy....

:smxE::smxE:

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
[video=youtube;8IecWRJ6ZGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8IecWRJ6ZGY[/video]

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

:nonod:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I love these savings! You want to know why?
$52.4 billion: Total money spent by shoppers over the Black Friday weekend, according to the National Retail Fund.

Do you know how much money you can make over Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
I <3 people like this.
I dabble in affiliate marketing and today is one of the biggest days to do it.

Early Xmas to me today ;)

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I can't help but shake my head watching all the news coverage for Black Friday talking about how much shoppers are "saving" ...

"Saving" ...? Is that what we call it these days? I call it "spending." And (as MJ observes) wanton consumerism is the root of most servitude.

All I see are hoardes of irresponsible people unknowingly surrendering their freedom.

Thanks, but no thanks. I want no part of it.

And when I see people camping out in front of Best Buy ... I think ... how little must this person value his or her time to do that? And for what ...? To buy a big screen television? And you wonder why their time is worth so little. Piss poor decisions like that. Nuts.

The only thing I purchased today was an customizable open-source software package I can use to launch an online information marketing business. "Happy Black Friday" to me ...

Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest (shaking my head) ...

As long as you own one of the stores (brick-and-mortar or online or both) that all these fanatics flock to, then Black Friday and the holiday season that follows should be a time you relish. They get up in the a$$-crack of dawn and tumble over each other in hopes that their deals are still waiting on them, while you sit back and let the sales stack up. Everyone wins. THAT is capitalism at its finest.

Slowlaners search for holiday deals; Fastlaners create them.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
This pretty much sums up what the "Majority" is all about.

Credit card debt from consumer junk, value time at zero, "takers". Then after all the dust has settled you blame someone else.

Your gonna wait 16 hours to buy a TV and then spend 4 hours a day watching it in perpetuity? WOW. And people wonder why their lives suck; cause their choices suck.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
In my town, I saw people camped out in front of Barnes and Noble, and when the doors opened, the staff were overwhelmed by the surging mass of people eager to get their hands on copies of The Millionaire Fastlane and other educational/self-improvement titles. Also there were reports that the public libraries had to call in the police to help control the crowds that were fighting over the books and reference materials that were being offered for free (an amazing once-in-a-lifetime bargain!) When asked why they were willing to fight tooth and nail for these books, many of theese bargain hunters explained that they would do anything to provide such resources to their children.

...and then I woke up!

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Sets the stage for us to make money. I don't think we should fault consumers for acting this way. Kinda like biting the hand that feeds no?

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
The walmart here had people lining up at 6pm thanksgiving day . . . I'm not super gung-ho about the holidays, but that just seems wrong.

Waiting in line for hours when you should be eating turkey dinner, watching football . . . just to buy crap.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I bought A LOT of Jack and Cokes lastnight :smx4:

Consumer mentality got the best of me.

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
Wow .. now I have a reason to come over to the US in a year ..
If I do come over to the US, I'm going to plant a chair somewhere up high in a wal-mart store with some popcorn and soda .. ;-)
This edutainment beats the hell out of the TV ;-)

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
There was a news story here about a family who started camping out at best buy last Friday so they could be first in line to buy the kids a 50 inch flat screen and some tablets. Estimated savings: $200.

7 days of time to save $200? The dumber part is the mother took a week off from her job to "save" this money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I fricking hate black friady so much. Complete swarms of idiots. I do christmas shopping with less than a week left until christmas.

The only store I wemt in yesterday was the pro shop at my country club.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.