The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best way to target on Facebook ads?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
IMG_5841.PNG My campaign ended last night. Total spent $150 for both ads for 4 days.

We ended up with 479 email sign ups. I need to export the lists to excel and clean them up. I'd say about 10% of the emails are duplicates (people signed up for both).

But this was a great $150 spent. I learned a lot about Facebook advertising. If you look at our engagement graph it goes up every day based on the small tweaks I made.
  • Replying to every comment. Telling people to visit the link to be registered and telling people to share the post.
  • Checking the demographics of the working ad sets and either changing or ending under performing ad sets.
  • Made a deal with a large group for the profession were in to post in their group.
All in all, 1/4 of our views were organic. We got down $0.08 on our best performing ad Sunday and yesterday as well.

What I'm doing next
I'll keep mostif those posts to my progress thread but I'm going to turn these 479 emails into gold. As pointed out before, I'll use the list both as a custom audience but more importantly as a look alike audience.

With almost 500 emails, even a low conversion rate on our pre launch campaign would be huge. We plan on going door to door to sign up businesses, but even a 5% conversion in this list would give us 25 professionals to our network which would be beyond our launch goal.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! IMG_5840.PNG

Ps. I almost forgot! Our FB page went from 60 likes to over 500!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Not every page is an interest on FB. But that's not a problem because you can find a lot more using FB's own tools. Here's how:

1) do a graph search (the top search bar). It's not as amazing as it was due to privacy laws but it's still pretty good. Let's say your 'seed' interest is 'mechanics' - do a search for "pages liked by people who like mechanics". This will show you a list of related interests since most people like more than one page about their passion, right?

2) do a search in Audience Insights (AI) - use 'mechanics' as your seed interest and build up from there. There are a ton of videos that can teach you how on YouTube. Look for tighter demographics so with a niche like this I'd expect to see mostly males above the age of 35. AI will give you all this information on a plate and a lot more related interests too.

Keep digging deep and you'll nail the audience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Not every page is an interest on FB. But that's not a problem because you can find a lot more using FB's own tools. Here's how:

1) do a graph search (the top search bar). It's not as amazing as it was due to privacy laws but it's still pretty good. Let's say your 'seed' interest is 'mechanics' - do a search for "pages liked by people who like mechanics". This will show you a list of related interests since most people like more than one page about their passion, right?

2) do a search in Audience Insights (AI) - use 'mechanics' as your seed interest and build up from there. There are a ton of videos that can teach you how on YouTube. Look for tighter demographics so with a niche like this I'd expect to see mostly males above the age of 35. AI will give you all this information on a plate and a lot more related interests too.

Keep digging deep and you'll nail the audience.

Thanks! Once we start pushing our indiegogo campaign I'm going to revisit this and use AI to get other good ad groups going. It'll definitely be a good supplement to our list.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Also be careful to not target too narrow of an audience. You will throw money away. If you target a broader mechanic themed audience you can get professionals, shade trees, former professionals, aspiring mechanics, etc.

@CycleGuy mind elaborating on this? I keep hearing to go as narrow as possible on the audience. Why do you think this is a bad idea/throwing money away?

Nam88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 31, 2012
@CycleGuy mind elaborating on this? I keep hearing to go as narrow as possible on the audience. Why do you think this is a bad idea/throwing money away?

It all dipends from interest to interest and from niche to niche in my opinion. The general rule is that if you go with a smaller audience ( so instead of specific interest "fishing" you are choosing a specific type of bait or using audience intersect to combine interests) there is more change to hit passionate/ very related people of the niche that you are targeting. This is partially true, it depends on the size of the niche and also on the affinity of the interest. For example, I have one niche where I always start to target a specific interest of 1.2 mil , from my past experience I know is the best interest to start from and that is converting good so I don't bother to go for a smaller one at the beginning ( I will probably do it later for scaling) . In this way there is more room for scaling as well . I will just avoid completely broad interest. Bear in mind that the smaller is the interest and probably the higher is the CPM ( cost per thousand impression) . The best advise in paid ads I think will be make educated guess but at the end test yourself.

Sorry for the long reply , hope that is useful.

TheDutch

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 30, 2016
View attachment 13540 My campaign ended last night. Total spent $150 for both ads for 4 days.

We ended up with 479 email sign ups. I need to export the lists to excel and clean them up. I'd say about 10% of the emails are duplicates (people signed up for both).

But this was a great $150 spent. I learned a lot about Facebook advertising. If you look at our engagement graph it goes up every day based on the small tweaks I made.
  • Replying to every comment. Telling people to visit the link to be registered and telling people to share the post.
  • Checking the demographics of the working ad sets and either changing or ending under performing ad sets.
  • Made a deal with a large group for the profession were in to post in their group.
All in all, 1/4 of our views were organic. We got down $0.08 on our best performing ad Sunday and yesterday as well.

What I'm doing next
I'll keep mostif those posts to my progress thread but I'm going to turn these 479 emails into gold. As pointed out before, I'll use the list both as a custom audience but more importantly as a look alike audience.

With almost 500 emails, even a low conversion rate on our pre launch campaign would be huge. We plan on going door to door to sign up businesses, but even a 5% conversion in this list would give us 25 professionals to our network which would be beyond our launch goal.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! View attachment 13541

Ps. I almost forgot! Our FB page went from 60 likes to over 500!

Looks like solid results, great job on nailing the FB-ads!
Following this thread for sure.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest

I'm a niche regional seller. In my experience you want to target your key demographic and a few large but specific interests. If you target too specific you can eliminate customers who are interested in your product but don't like or follow the very specific model you targeted. Think of trying to sell sports cars. You want to target "sports cars" as an interest and a few brands. If you target "4th gen f bodies" "ls1 camaro" "ls1 firebird" "ls1 corvette" "v8 muscle cars". You can be narrowing your audience to an audience so small you can miss many potential customers who are buyers and fans of sports cars in your region.

Example, I target locally from my posts. I target males in an age range. I target a large interest and a brand within that interest. I generally get excellent results. Using this method my engagement cost is very affordable. Generally $0.01-.10 per engagement. I'm also getting quality engagements that are buyers. Facebook is very big on the "defined" audience, not too broad or too narrow.

It also depends on the product itself. The larger the initial audience the more defined you can go with interests. In December I started marketing homes for a business. This is a very large, broad audience from the start. I can add a lot of interests to narrow it down but the audience still remains defined because of how large it initially was in the beginning.

@Nam88 was spot on saying it depends on the product/niche and initial size of the interest.

I hope this clarifies what you were asking.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I'm a niche regional seller. In my experience you want to target your key demographic and a few large but specific interests. If you target too specific you can eliminate customers who are interested in your product but don't like or follow the very specific model you targeted. Think of trying to sell sports cars. You want to target "sports cars" as an interest and a few brands. If you target "4th gen f bodies" "ls1 camaro" "ls1 firebird" "ls1 corvette" "v8 muscle cars". You can be narrowing your audience to an audience so small you can miss many potential customers who are buyers and fans of sports cars in your region.

Example, I target locally from my posts. I target males in an age range. I target a large interest and a brand within that interest. I generally get excellent results. Using this method my engagement cost is very affordable. Generally $0.01-.10 per engagement. I'm also getting quality engagements that are buyers. Facebook is very big on the "defined" audience, not too broad or too narrow.

It also depends on the product itself. The larger the initial audience the more defined you can go with interests. In December I started marketing homes for a business. This is a very large, broad audience from the start. I can add a lot of interests to narrow it down but the audience still remains defined because of how large it initially was in the beginning.

@Nam88 was spot on saying it depends on the product/niche and initial size of the interest.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Looks like solid results, great job on nailing the FB-ads!
Following this thread for sure.

I haven't gotten a chance to drive any ads lately, but there are some great new ad sets like FB message ads that I want to experiment with. I'll post that when I get there!

Great clarification. Thanks.

PM me - can get you some good stuff to master FB Ads.

If you wouldn't mind, I think posting all that here on the thread will help other forum members a lot!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Don't forget to build your audiences too. We hardly use interests now and still make money. Consistently.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
I haven't gotten a chance to drive any ads lately, but there are some great new ad sets like FB message ads that I want to experiment with. I'll post that when I get there!

Great clarification. Thanks.

If you wouldn't mind, I think posting all that here on the thread will help other forum members a lot!

I can't, because it is some private material - otherwise I would post it here.

So PM for Details.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
Don't forget to build your audiences too. We hardly use interests now and still make money. Consistently.

This is sound advice as well^

I built a local targeted audience that gets great organic exposure and boosts very well when boosting to "people who like your page and their friends"

laurenaria10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 8, 2017
Slat Lake City USA
Here are 6 common rule which you need to focus before starting advertising campaign in facebook.

#1: To advertise to all who visited your site, except for the clients
#2: Involve people who are like people who became an advertisement
#3: Target people educated in college or in their own homes who earn $ 100,000 or more and have a specific zip code
#4: Show Ads to People on a Mobile Phone Within 10 Miles of Your Location
#5: Focus on People in Your Target Demographic and Online at Certain Times
#6: Display Ads to People Who Haven’t Seen Your Ad That Day

REMOVED BACKLINK

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content