The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Resources For Coding?

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Hey guys, what is the first step someone should take to learn coding? I know there's a bunch of languages and stuff, are there any good resources/books you guys recommend? Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

basedzoomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 7, 2022
Hey guys, what is the first step someone should take to learn coding? I know there's a bunch of languages and stuff, are there any good resources/books you guys recommend? Thanks
Are you new to programming?

Why do you want to learn to code? What's your end goal?

General advice:-

Just create small programs. If you run into a problem, try to find a solution yourself or use the internet.

Don't read books if you don't plan to make programs using said language.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Are you new to programming?

Why do you want to learn to code? What's your end goal?

General advice:-

Just create small programs. If you run into a problem, try to find a solution yourself or use the internet.

Don't read books if you don't plan to make programs using said language.
Hey man, because I realized the power of understanding how to create unique software as upsells for my business.

How do you start creating small programs? What language is the best for beginners?

basedzoomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 7, 2022
Hey man, because I realized the power of understanding how to create unique software as upsells for my business.

How do you start creating small programs? What language is the best for beginners?
Examples of some small programs: Calculator, Web Scraper, Automatic Web Form filler & submitter etc.

Creating these simple programs by yourself will help you learn concepts of whichever language you choose.

You can be a beginner in any language. Do an internet search for which language would be best for what you want to make.

Gregory Carson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2020
United States, California
If you are after actually learning to code ... meaning you use a compiler to produce executables ... be sure to start with an actual programming language. 40+ years ago I started with Fortran and Cobol. Today us older code cutters would say start with something widely used and available like C. There are many books on most any programming languages ... the Dummies series is an inexpensive good starting point to self teach ... you will want other books after that one, but let your initial experience be a guide and ask other code cutters what they have on their shelves (I have a couple from the O'Reilly series for C and a couple of other languages).

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Languages are suited for different purposes. Someone mentioned c which is a good choice if you are building embedded applications or something where performance is paramount (like games/graphics). C would be a poor choice for a web based application (and I would argue most other applications).

I would agree with @Gregory Carson that if your goal is to **learn** solid programming skills it may be helpful to start with a compiled strongly typed language (java, c, c#) opposed to an interpreted dynamic language like python, ruby, js. The reason being the confines and guardrails of a compiled language will likely teach you how to write more maintainable, testable and performant code. Whereas you can get away with a lot of bad practices with some of the other languages. I would probably recommend c# or java over c/c++ however as they have more modern features. This is a longer road if your goal is to build web apps or something (since you'd want to learn a different language for that).

@basedzoomer gave good advice. Get started with something basic and learn as you go. If you have 0 experience start with a tutorial or something.

An important thing that gets missed with modern software development is that there is much more to learn than just a language. For any non trivial software you'll need to understand frameworks, architecture, UX, database design, testing and a lot of other aspects. **So before getting started ask yourself if you're in it for long haul. If not then just hire a software company.**

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Codecademy
Thanks!
Examples of some small programs: Calculator, Web Scraper, Automatic Web Form filler & submitter etc.

Creating these simple programs by yourself will help you learn concepts of whichever language you choose.

You can be a beginner in any language. Do an internet search for which language would be best for what you want to make.
I will look into these.. thank You!

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Languages are suited for different purposes. Someone mentioned c which is a good choice if you are building embedded applications or something where performance is paramount (like games/graphics). C would be a poor choice for a web based application (and I would argue most other applications).

I would agree with @Gregory Carson that if your goal is to **learn** solid programming skills it may be helpful to start with a compiled strongly typed language (java, c, c#) opposed to an interpreted dynamic language like python, ruby, js. The reason being the confines and guardrails of a compiled language will likely teach you how to write more maintainable, testable and performant code. Whereas you can get away with a lot of bad practices with some of the other languages. I would probably recommend c# or java over c/c++ however as they have more modern features. This is a longer road if your goal is to build web apps or something (since you'd want to learn a different language for that).

@basedzoomer gave good advice. Get started with something basic and learn as you go. If you have 0 experience start with a tutorial or something.

An important thing that gets missed with modern software development is that there is much more to learn than just a language. For any non trivial software you'll need to understand frameworks, architecture, UX, database design, testing and a lot of other aspects. **So before getting started ask yourself if you're in it for long haul. If not then just hire a software company.**
Very helpful.. Thanks

Dr_Kdub28

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Feb 16, 2022
East coast, United States
I've dabbled in learning code. Mostly through free and paid courses.

Here's some links to free resources:
1. W3Schools Free Online Web Tutorials - Go here for free exercises on most known languages, They're pretty easy to follow along.
2. Learn to Code — For Free — Coding Courses for Busy People - Another place for free exercises. You wont have to download an IDE or notepad. You can run the code straight from the site.
3. https://codepen.io/trending - If you don't use a an IDE, visual studios, etc.. you can go here to work on code

These are just some starters if you want the basics. The best way to get better is to practice everyday and troubleshoot issues. Once you start to think like a coder/programmer it get's easier.

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
Hello!

I am actually a Software Developer that just got out of school back in December 2021.
(Fastlaners don't crucify me, I learned about fastlane during my last year of university, May 2021)

What I found to work really well for me was solving code problems on:
Codewars: Achieve mastery through coding challenge

When it comes to learning:
https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/

Here are some personal tips:
1. Learn to use github
2. Code your own project, what I mean is do not "learn" forever
3. Learn about data structures, coding is one thing, organizing it properly/efficiently is another
4. Use json, xml is trash.
5. I believe in fullstack (frontend and backend) over just doing one type. It allows you to understand how people (users) interact with software. Better insight.
6. IF you really need a paid course, Udemy is solid.

asm-x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 26, 2021
Start with CS50 Harvard courses. Javascript or Phyton is the best language to start with.

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
I'm currently doing The Odin Project, which is the best course for programming I've ever taken so far, it teaches you a lot about HTML, CSS, Javascript (even the back-end if you choose) or Ruby (if you choose instead of JS). You do a lot of projects which are fun and might seem intimidating at first, but you'll get a good time and learn a lot while making these projects.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Free Coding Websites & Course Platforms:

• Codecademy.
  • freeCodeCamp.
  • Coursera.
  • edX.
  • Codewars.
  • Code Conquest.
  • GA Dash.

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
Check out:

Plenty of free MIT courses on programming.

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I would come up with an end goal, whether it's a website with certain features, an app with certain features, or whatever it is, and work backwards to get an outcome.

Don't over learn and overload with the wrong information. Acquire specific information as you need it and apply it. Start small. One page, one button. Then two, then tabs, then styles, then making the buttons do something, then storing info in a database, sending emails, and so on, and so on.

The first project I was ever given was an intranet calendar that showed certain things on certain days. Basic, boring, but I was able to learn and add to it over time and eventually was running the whole site.

Get a good grasp on the basics before you start using Frameworks and Templates on top of bread and butter HTML,CSS,JS,Node. These are essential, but if you start with all this bloat it might overwhelm you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.