The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Been hitting some deadends

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
Hello, all I have read the book and signed for this forum like 7 years ago and haven't been back since. I have however never stopped brainstorming and it is now driving me crazy because I am just not getting anywhere. I have been a salesman at the same place for the last 13 years and although like the sales and customers I am so over my coworkers and boss so I have been trying to get my own gig going. A few major hurdles was attempting to buy a commercial property that would fit my needs. Nevermind the price, they just aren't for sale at all in my area. The next big hurdle was when I tried securing places to buy from they are so so flaky that I hit the breaks in it for now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have some startup money but with all the challenges I feel I should just Get into service work because I know the work is there but it is more labor and likely less profitable but would keep me busy. I wish I coild figure out something fast because I am getting really tired of my same old situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Count how many "I"s are in your post.

Perhaps that's why the "I" can't find the "$".

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Hello, all I have read the book and signed for this forum like 7 years ago and haven't been back since. I have however never stopped brainstorming and it is now driving me crazy because I am just not getting anywhere. I have been a salesman at the same place for the last 13 years and although like the sales and customers I am so over my coworkers and boss so I have been trying to get my own gig going. A few major hurdles was attempting to buy a commercial property that would fit my needs. Nevermind the price, they just aren't for sale at all in my area. The next big hurdle was when I tried securing places to buy from they are so so flaky that I hit the breaks in it for now. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have some startup money but with all the challenges I feel I should just Get into service work because I know the work is there but it is more labor and likely less profitable but would keep me busy. I wish I coild figure out something fast because I am getting really tired of my same old situation.

8 years brainstorming?

Success formula:

Don't just do something, sit there.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
It's not surprising that you spent 8 years brainstorming when the only problem you're trying to solve is your "I want more money and freedom" problem. Help other people with their problems and they will help you with yours.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Imagine there’s this little kid called Timmy and he’s 14 years old and he reads TMF and decided to go wash cars that weekend.

He washes some cars and gets paid some money and he realizes he could make more if he details them.

So he details cars and gets $400 a day and he realizes he could have another young kid do the work and pay the kid $100 a day.

So he posts some ads and gets some customers and after expenses he nets $200 a day with other people doing the work.

He gets a scheduling and booking system and a website and gets a little LLC and now little Timmy is 10000x more of an entrepreneur than your grown a$$ sitting around brainstorming for 7 years.

You know what’s been done in 7 years?

Here’s the largest cruise ship in the world. It took 18 months to build. They could’ve built 4 of them by the time you finished brainstorming

IMG_5561.jpeg

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I chase money ... waste of 8 years.

I solve problems and help people. ...... get started tonight.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
Maybe I should elaborate some for those just being a smartass. In that time I have maintained a 6 figure income, paid cash for a really nice house, helped several family member through their final stages of life, and them so I haven't exactly been spinning my thimb up my a$$. I have some startup money and have been trying to secure a commercial property and get some suppliers but hitting hard times with both. Properties that are about 2 or 3X asking price of value have been sitting but yet they won't accept offers and suppliers are being diffivult as well. They don't want to set me up as a buyer because I am not already established. I told them I would pay upfront but they don't like that I don't have references etc. I am willing to shirt into an entire different direction at this point because it shouldn't be this hard just to spend money. If anyone has any legit suggestions for a decent career change I am looking to make a change. Coming from a sales background.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Maybe I should elaborate some for those just being a smartass. In that time I have maintained a 6 figure income, paid cash for a really nice house, helped several family member through their final stages of life, and them so I haven't exactly been spinning my thimb up my a$$. I have some startup money and have been trying to secure a commercial property and get some suppliers but hitting hard times with both. Properties that are about 2 or 3X asking price of value have been sitting but yet they won't accept offers and suppliers are being diffivult as well. They don't want to set me up as a buyer because I am not already established. I told them I would pay upfront but they don't like that I don't have references etc. I am willing to shirt into an entire different direction at this point because it shouldn't be this hard just to spend money. If anyone has any legit suggestions for a decent career change I am looking to make a change. Coming from a sales background.
God if I had your resources I would be destroying right now.

If a broke college student like me can figure it out, you can too buddy.

You can literally do whatever you want. You can move in any direction you want. You have free will, don't you?

Nobody is being a smartass here, they're telling you that the point of MJ's books went entirely over your head.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
God if I had your resources I would be destroying right now.

If a broke college student like me can figure it out, you can too buddy.

You can literally do whatever you want. You can move in any direction you want. You have free will, don't you?

Nobody is being a smartass here, they're telling you that the point of MJ's books went entirely over your head.
Well I have found chinese suppliers to be incredibly flaky so that is an issue for importing. I have some skillsets that would allow me to make 6 figures easily doing service work but I am aging and would rather not do such demanding labor. Do you have any suggestions?

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Well I have found chinese suppliers to be incredibly flaky so that is an issue for importing. I have some skillsets that would allow me to make 6 figures easily doing service work but I am aging and would rather not do such demanding labor. Do you have any suggestions?
There is no F*cking list.

I'm not going to give you a step-by-step breakdown of how to make money.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, go read UNSCRIPTED .

I also suggest reading some of the GOLD threads on this forum for some sound advice on how to provide value to people.

You are currently money chasing.

Apologies for coming off as rude, but here on the forum, we are sick of this shit. So many people ask the same questions that you do and don't understand what they are doing wrong.

Think about the customer first. Think about whose life you are trying to improve. Think about what problem you are trying to solve.

If people took some goddamn time to read and think about things, we would not have this problem.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Pro tip

bottom rung: getting paid for time
middle rung: getting paid for sales commissions (still linked to your time in many ways)
top rung: getting paid in profit from a business you own.

You can likely not employ a salesperson to get sales for you and you still profit while removing all time requirements.

You likely need to leave your employment someday if you want asymmetric returns.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
You have skill sets to make six figures doing service work but age is catching up with you.

Find a reliable successor to train him or her and profit share.

With reliable successors you can horizontally acquire people in your similar situations and scale into large businesses with more customers. You play the role of consultant and providing money and the younger folks providing time and labor.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Courses, training, franchising, coaching, consulting ......

Go solve the closest problem for the most people. What are the top three options you have available? List them and let's start breaking them down.

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
Courses, training, franchising, coaching, consulting ......

Go solve the closest problem for the most people. What are the top three options you have available? List them and let's start breaking them down.
I could honetly see doing both employee recruiting and more importantly retention consulting. In my years of business I have seen too many good employees walk away because of their slug coworkers not pulling their weight. It is damaging to a business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my years of business I have seen too many good employees walk away because of their slug coworkers not pulling their weight. It is damaging to a business.

Need identified.
Achievement, unlocked.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I could honetly see doing both employee recruiting and more importantly retention consulting. In my years of business I have seen too many good employees walk away because of their slug coworkers not pulling their weight. It is damaging to a business.
Start a progress thread and build the business.

start with:
clearly articulate the need and the pain
build the customer avatar
find some of them
reach out and ask how you could help them / if there is pain
report back after 25 interactions
build your mvp
sell one
deliver and sell more
get more customers / get them to buy more / get them to come back more often

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.