The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Been having fun with product creation, but hit a wall.

D

DeletedUser0287

I have been working on a product with a need and the thing is it aligns with something I’m passionate about as well. I haven’t actually thought about money like my other ventures.

Although I am very close to finishing product creation, I hit a wall. I could technically release the product as is, but I’m embarrassed.

My product involves sewing very close to hardware. The problem is that the presser foot it too long lengthwise even on my most narrow foot, so I am unable to make tight turns and sew in a way that commercial sewn products are.

Looking online, there are machines that would make this possible, but they cost like 3-5k up for the machine. Obviously dumb to spend that much on the machine as of right now.

The sewing styles are kinda of a given though. Since there are so many commercially sewn products, customers expect this so much (they don’t even blink an eye) because nearly every sewn product has it. I didn’t realize that in order to make these close sews, a commercial machine was required.

If I release my product, I feel like I would definitely get wrecked by the market just for not being able to sew close to the hardware or make these types of sew patterns. I also wanted to sew my product to make it shorter, but because my sewing machine presser foot is too large, it is as small as I can make it. All other competitors got the size right. These are things I took for a given as a consumer whenever I saw a sewn product, I didn’t think much about it or the technicalities that went into it.

With all my prototyping and current investment. I can’t spend anymore money. What do I do? Put out my product, that I know has flaws because I can’t afford the machine? All materials I sourced are premium and it would feel odd to charge premium prices for a product like this because lack of sewn pattern. Plus this product isn’t really viable, if I don’t charge premium prices.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NataliaO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Dec 14, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Can this machine be rented? Or can you outsource the part of sewing that requires close stitching to someone who has access to such machine?
I've seen ads in craigslist asking for a seamstress with experience and access to a specific machine. Don't know how successful they were in finding one, but it's another idea.

D

DeletedUser0287

Can this machine be rented? Or can you outsource the part of sewing that requires close stitching to someone who has access to such machine?
I've seen ads in craigslist asking for a seamstress with experience and access to a specific machine. Don't know how successful they were in finding one, but it's another idea.

Hm...did not think about those options. Will go look! Thanks

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Call every business in your area that should have this machine and ask how/when you could come in and use their machine someone would likely help you... what’s the worst that can happen? What’s the BEST that can happen?

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
How can you hack your current sewing machine so you can do what you need? What about buying another (spare) presser foot, then grinding it down so it's tiny? (That way, it'd still hold your fabric down, but will let you sew close to your hardware & do tight turns).

What other options are there? (There are always other options). Are there companies, factories, schools, hobbyists in your town with specialized sewing machines? If not, what about sending your materials out to someone nonlocal who can sew it up for you?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I suggest you try raising the presser foot at the point where you are about to begin the turn.

Run the machine as slow as it will go - manually turning the wheel if necessary - while you make that turn.

Lower the foot and off you go until you reach the next turn.

I suggest practicing on some fabric until you get the hang of it, because at first you could have stitches that are too long, or not on course.

Walter

D

DeletedUser0287

So you can pretty much loan one of these machines, but the risk is not worth it. I guess I might have to settle with product quality. Although it is killing me that I know I can do better.

Going through another barrier and tried to Mcgaver it again...and it is the same scenario with costly machine easily solving the issue.

Thanks everyone from the inputs. I really enjoy this stuff.

D

DeletedUser0287

I suggest you try raising the presser foot at the point where you are about to begin the turn.

Run the machine as slow as it will go - manually turning the wheel if necessary - while you make that turn.

Lower the foot and off you go until you reach the next turn.

I suggest practicing on some fabric until you get the hang of it, because at first you could have stitches that are too long, or not on course.

Walter

Oh, it’s not really the turn that is the problem, but the presser foot being too large, Lengthwise. I have the narrowest foot I can get. But I also need a walking foot, since the fabric slips. This adds some width.

D

DeletedUser0287

How can you hack your current sewing machine so you can do what you need? What about buying another (spare) presser foot, then grinding it down so it's tiny? (That way, it'd still hold your fabric down, but will let you sew close to your hardware & do tight turns).

What other options are there? (There are always other options). Are there companies, factories, schools, hobbyists in your town with specialized sewing machines? If not, what about sending your materials out to someone nonlocal who can sew it up for you?

Trying to keep costs low. I have heard of sewing contractors, but my profit margin will sink to the point that it ain’t worth it. I have a pretty good sewing machine. The problem is presser foot length too long. Shorten it anymore and it won’t even hold fabric. Already struggling as it is with how narrow my presser foot is.

D

DeletedUser0287

I just need think more, but thanks for all inputs. I might buy the machine. I quit my job to do this. Crazy how much faster a person can progress without the job.

D

DeletedUser0287

Somehow figured out a way, did my marketing plan release and response was very positive on the target market. Not a single sale though...

Was really hoping this was gonna skyrocket. I am rushing against the clock. I went on vacation a month back and quit my job for the vacation and never went back to work. Thought I was going to luck out, that I never had to go back to slowlane, but looks like it is inevitable. Burning through cash fast with all this prototyping. Been doing 16 hour work days on this and LOVE it, just gotta make money and I will be golden.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.