The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At a crossroads

Idea threads

Salsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 16, 2023
Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on the issue I'm having.
For context, I just turned 18, and I'm working at an internship during my school hours. I work 40 hours a week because I finished a lot of my academics in my junior year. Anyway, I read TMF in August and it blew my mind away, I was so intrigued by the Fastlane, and by the freedom it grants. I then started brainstorming on what I could do to achieve the Fastlane. I started posting videos on self-improvement on YouTube. I knew it was saturated, but I was targeting a certain niche. I did that for 3 months but didn't see much traffic. I liked making videos but the progress was so draining, scriptwriting, editing, making a thumbnail and title that hooks the watcher, I wanted to do something else. I then looked into e-commerce and how you can sell stuff online and whatnot. that seemed cool. But I don't want to start running around trying new things, in the hopes of getting money, I want to stick to something and hopefully strike gold there. But what I'm doing now is tiring and I'm not seeing progress. what should I do? Should I see this YouTube channel through? should I try e-commerce? Am I the prime example of "chasing the next shiny object"?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on the issue I'm having.
For context, I just turned 18, and I'm working at an internship during my school hours. I work 40 hours a week because I finished a lot of my academics in my junior year. Anyway, I read TMF in August and it blew my mind away, I was so intrigued by the Fastlane, and by the freedom it grants. I then started brainstorming on what I could do to achieve the Fastlane. I started posting videos on self-improvement on YouTube. I knew it was saturated, but I was targeting a certain niche. I did that for 3 months but didn't see much traffic. I liked making videos but the progress was so draining, scriptwriting, editing, making a thumbnail and title that hooks the watcher, I wanted to do something else. I then looked into e-commerce and how you can sell stuff online and whatnot. that seemed cool. But I don't want to start running around trying new things, in the hopes of getting money, I want to stick to something and hopefully strike gold there. But what I'm doing now is tiring and I'm not seeing progress. what should I do? Should I see this YouTube channel through? should I try e-commerce? Am I the prime example of "chasing the next shiny object"?

Can you direct me to where in my book I say, "Start a business doing what everyone else is doing?"

I'm also curious how after someone who reads my book comes to the conclusion of starting a YT channel, or an eCom business and utterly fails to mention relative value, value skew, or anything central to the entire philosophy.

1700676824472.png

Salsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 16, 2023
Is starting a YouTube or an eCom the wrong thing to do here? I wasn't too worried about the value skew atm, im asking what should i do regarding the Fastlane path I should take. suggestions, if you will. For one I know making a YouTube channel violates a couple of CENTS. but I have ZERO ideas on how to start an eCOM business. idk, at a weird place rn.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but I have ZERO ideas on how to start an eCOM

Well I guess you give up then, right? Stick with a job?

You weren't born with the skills to start an eCom business, unlike some of us.

In fact, my mom told me that her doctor told her within minutes after my birth, "Gee, your newborn infant is skilled at Shopify, and he can write pretty good too!"

You're either born with knowledge, or you're out of luck. (sic)

1700678462536.png

Sorry to be so abrasive, but if these are the brunt of your problems where you find them a "crossroads" you have the wrong set of expectations, much less, a total misunderstanding of what I wrote.

No one here is going to give you the exact steps, much less fix your fixed-mindset. (I don't know how!)

Salsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 16, 2023
Well I guess you give up then, right? Stick with a job?
No one here is going to give you the exact steps, much less fix your fixed-mindset. (I don't know how!)
You're right, it's honestly up to me to figure it out. I just get told all the time by people at work about how hard business is. I know I shouldn't listen to them, but it's harder said than done. I fear failure and stuck to YouTube because there's nothing much to lose (except time). it's time I get serious and step out of my comfort zone and actually apply the stuff in your book. Thanks, MJ never thought I'd heard from you personally lol.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 19, 2023
I fear failure and stuck to YouTube because there's nothing much to lose (except time).
If its a money problem causing this fear you know what to do. You are not limited to ecom or YouTube. Time is an important asset.

Emperor7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 15, 2023

You're right, it's honestly up to me to figure it out. I just get told all the time by people at work about how hard business is. I know I shouldn't listen to them, but it's harder said than done. I fear failure and stuck to YouTube because there's nothing much to lose (except time). it's time I get serious and step out of my comfort zone and actually apply the stuff in your book. Thanks, MJ never thought I'd heard from you personally lol.
Seek and find...
Find knowledge first....
You can do anything except you are genetically limited
Don't just waste your time on popular endeavors like YouTube, forex, you know the rest....
If you really read MJ DeMarco's books you don't need to ask that question

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Am I the prime example of "chasing the next shiny object"?

Yes.

But, luckily for you, there's no such thing as a perfect business. All businesses have their problems and difficulties. This is lucky for you because the solution is simple.

You must change your expectations. Expect opportunity mixed with difficulty. Lots of people are selling "get rich easy", but the only place that exists is in the lottery. If you are looking for the easy way, you'll start something and give up at the first sign of difficulty.

Your coworkers are right: business is hard. It's hard because (1) it requires you to unselfishly serve the needs of your customers, (2) it requires you to do so profitably (revenue - expenses > 0), and (3) it requires you to compete against others who have been doing it longer.

Right now you're not even close to aware of the kinds of opportunities there are. You think that YouTube and ecommerce are the main ways people make money. I challenge you to open your eyes and put on your "producer hat". Look at everything around you and ask: how does it get here?

Your school is built out of brick (probably). Someone made those bricks. Someone built the school. Someone installed the plumbing and toilets. Someone installed the electricity. Someone put in the floors.

You went to the store recently. What did you buy? How much did you pay for it? Who owns the brand? Who makes the product? How did you know to go to that store? Who owns the building that the store is in? Who built the building? If the store is more than 3 years old and still in business, it's probably profitable. How could that be the case? How long were you in the store? How many people were there? Knowing that, how many people probably visit the store every day? How much do they spend? Knowing this, how much money is the store making per day?

You have an internship at a company. How do they make money? Who buys from them? Why do they buy? What does it cost the customer? What might it cost the company?

Make educated guesses for these questions. Do this for a while and you'll notice opportunity everywhere.

But opportunity is not actually your problem. The problem is that you need to learn how to execute properly. The only way to do that is to try something, fail at it, then try it again but better. Your first attempts will lack the effort and insight needed to be successful, but that's part of it. Just try to do it better.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're right, it's honestly up to me to figure it out.

This is the right attitude. You've already made progress. Score a win for you. And small wins is how you win this game.

Salsa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 16, 2023
I've never thought of it that way, I've been watching too many guru YouTube channels. It's time to look outside the box and brainstorm. Thanks, dude.
You must change your expectations.
You think that YouTube and ecommerce are the main ways people make money

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
You must find a need or problem in the market. Fulfil it or solve it. Make it make CENTS. Also, you should read the rest of MJs books.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Yes.

But, luckily for you, there's no such thing as a perfect business. All businesses have their problems and difficulties. This is lucky for you because the solution is simple.

You must change your expectations. Expect opportunity mixed with difficulty. Lots of people are selling "get rich easy", but the only place that exists is in the lottery. If you are looking for the easy way, you'll start something and give up at the first sign of difficulty.

Your coworkers are right: business is hard. It's hard because (1) it requires you to unselfishly serve the needs of your customers, (2) it requires you to do so profitably (revenue - expenses > 0), and (3) it requires you to compete against others who have been doing it longer.

Right now you're not even close to aware of the kinds of opportunities there are. You think that YouTube and ecommerce are the main ways people make money. I challenge you to open your eyes and put on your "producer hat". Look at everything around you and ask: how does it get here?

Your school is built out of brick (probably). Someone made those bricks. Someone built the school. Someone installed the plumbing and toilets. Someone installed the electricity. Someone put in the floors.

You went to the store recently. What did you buy? How much did you pay for it? Who owns the brand? Who makes the product? How did you know to go to that store? Who owns the building that the store is in? Who built the building? If the store is more than 3 years old and still in business, it's probably profitable. How could that be the case? How long were you in the store? How many people were there? Knowing that, how many people probably visit the store every day? How much do they spend? Knowing this, how much money is the store making per day?

You have an internship at a company. How do they make money? Who buys from them? Why do they buy? What does it cost the customer? What might it cost the company?

Make educated guesses for these questions. Do this for a while and you'll notice opportunity everywhere.

But opportunity is not actually your problem. The problem is that you need to learn how to execute properly. The only way to do that is to try something, fail at it, then try it again but better. Your first attempts will lack the effort and insight needed to be successful, but that's part of it. Just try to do it better.
I think about this daily.
How did this get here?
Who has a patent on this?
Was this licensed out?
How was this designed?
How did they come up with this idea?
Was this injection molded or did they use vacuum forming?
How profitable is this?

These questions spawn new ideas every day.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I've never thought of it that way, I've been watching too many guru YouTube channels. It's time to look outside the box and brainstorm. Thanks, dude.
Go read UNSCRIPTED , it clears this point up heavily. It seems you've fallen down the guru/influencer/bro-marketing rabbit hole. Real money comes from hard work and providing genuine value to people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.