The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask your doctor about...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Amazing.

A here I thought this was a joke or an Onion piece.

No this is real.

Get a listen to those side effects.

And people buy it. And trust it.

The side effects are worse than the disease it supposedly treats.

Love the "death" side effect as well.

Because after all, after you had a cardiac arrest and are tossed 6 feet under, you've cured your bipolar disorder.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
I really believe in 100 years from now when medicine has evolved to be more personal and system based (working out more or eating better proscribed by dr instead of just meds), they are going to look back at things like this and think we were so barbaric and insane. Like how we look back at leeching

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I really believe in 100 years from now when medicine has evolved to be more personal and system based (working out more or eating better proscribed by dr instead of just meds), they are going to look back at things like this and think we were so barbaric and insane. Like how we look back at leeching

I don't think so.. popping pills is so much easier than diet and exercise.. and it makes so much more money.....

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't think so.. popping pills is so much easier than diet and exercise.. and it makes so much more money.....

Yes, never underestimate the profound reliability of human nature in its search for comfort and ease.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
This is why healthcare professionals hate it when people actually read the package inserts :rofl:

The increased risk of death was increased from about 3% (placebo) to 4.5% (drug). So yes, there is an absolute risk increase of 1.5%. And hopefully, the doctor and patient will have good discussion if the increased risk is worth it, or if having aural or visual hallucinations for the rest of their life is a good trade off. Schizophrenia isn't a disease that can be cured with diet and exercise. Although for a lot of the major diseases we face today, diet and exercise will give you far better results than anything from a prescription.

Now, what really irks me is that the drug company charges $1200 a month for this drug when it only costs them a few bucks to make it. This is a main driver of increases in healthcare premiums.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I sometimes catch flack for saying this, but I believe 100% that people don't just "have" mental issues. I think they're a result of physical trauma/poor health (head injuries), other medications (ie, had an athlete friend who became suicidal after taking pain medication post surgery), or emotional trauma.

If you tell most people mental health medication is bullshit, they will run you out of town. But I would never allow my kids to take anything like that.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I sometimes catch flack for saying this, but I believe 100% that people don't just "have" mental issues. I think they're a result of physical trauma/poor health (head injuries), other medications (ie, had an athlete friend who became suicidal after taking pain medication post surgery), or emotional trauma.

If you tell most people mental health medication is bullshit, they will run you out of town. But I would never allow my kids to take anything like that.
Pretty plausible.

If even that happens with the recommended dosage amounts, we might as well treat pharmaceuticals worse than fast food.

One question though: If you kids needed help in that department, what alternative medicines would you get for them? The people around me swear by accupuncture and exercise lol, but I'm not exactly a fan of Chinese needles sticking into my body.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pretty plausible.

If even that happens with the recommended dosage amounts, we might as well treat pharmaceuticals worse than fast food.

One question though: If you kids needed help in that department, what alternative medicines would you get for them? The people around me swear by accupuncture and exercise lol, but I'm not exactly a fan of Chinese needles sticking into my body.

That's a good question. Haven't done much research into children, but I'm sure there are a lot of natural ways to deal with it. Exercise is great - I've heard people swear by acupuncture too actually. Kind of an interesting idea, but not sure if I'm up for it lol.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Amazing.

A here I thought this was a joke or an Onion piece.

No this is real.

Get a listen to those side effects.

And people buy it. And trust it.

The side effects are worse than the disease it supposedly treats.

Love the "death" side effect as well.

Because after all, after you had a cardiac arrest and are tossed 6 feet under, you've cured your bipolar disorder.

Here’s the thing though, for many people, the risk of side effects outweighs the negative effects of Bipolar.

The problem is, you’re assuming bipolar just means you’re happy one day and sad the next.

Bipolar disorder can cause destructive behaviors. Periods of mania can cause people to be sexually active and engage in risky behaviors, potentially getting deadly STD’s.

Or their mania can cause them to gamble away their money, ruin their careers and relationships. Mania can cause them to pursue drug use.

The depression side can destroy relationships or end in suicide.

So please don’t downplay the impact of this disease on people’s lives just because you think pharma is trying to make a quick buck.

I’ve seen first hand what mental disease and specifically bipolar disorder can do to ruin lives.

And fun fact, the FDA will not approve new drugs in class unless they are both more effective and safer/less dude effects.

Traditionally, antipsychotics and atypical antipsychotics can have really bad side effects.

Most of the side effects in the commercial are called “class warnings” or “black box warnings” Essentially those are side effects were caused by older drugs in the same class. They necessarily aren’t present in these new drugs, but because they are similar the FDA requires these.

Ps this drug also treats schizophrenia too.

This is why healthcare professionals hate it when people actually read the package inserts :rofl:

The increased risk of death was increased from about 3% (placebo) to 4.5% (drug). So yes, there is an absolute risk increase of 1.5%. And hopefully, the doctor and patient will have good discussion if the increased risk is worth it, or if having aural or visual hallucinations for the rest of their life is a good trade off. Schizophrenia isn't a disease that can be cured with diet and exercise. Although for a lot of the major diseases we face today, diet and exercise will give you far better results than anything from a prescription.

Now, what really irks me is that the drug company charges $1200 a month for this drug when it only costs them a few bucks to make it. This is a main driver of increases in healthcare premiums.

The PI for this drug isn’t actually that bad. It’s probably the safest Atypical on the market.

As for price of drugs, yes, the pills cost pennies to make, but you’re ignoring the Billions capital B that it costs for research, development and FDA trials.

Thankfully, you’re not a doctor and science has proven you wrong.

People needing medical like this have measurable insufficiencies of Dopamine in their brains, which cause personality disorders and altered mental status.

Mental disease is no different than any other disease. Saying otherwise is not only ignorant, but harmful and causes stigma.

If we can treat endocrine problems by measuring a persons body is low or high in a certain hormone or enzyme, and then resolve the disorder with medication or supplementation... why is the brain or nervous system any different?

If a dificiency of dopamine is measured in a person, they hear voices and have irrational behavior, but then you add a domaminergic agent to increase dopamine levels and the voices dissapear and they behave normally, isn’t that evidence that disease was present?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I sometimes catch flack for saying this, but I believe 100% that people don't just "have" mental issues.

You catch flack because it's a bullshit belief, not a fact.

My son (7) is diagnosed with ADHD, which I hate to even say because out of all the possible mental illnesses out there, ADHD is the most made fun of for any number of reasons ("oh, you're just lazy, dumb, undisciplined, bla bla bla...".

Let me tell you - my wife and I spent 2 genuine years trying to behaviorally managing my son's mental health. He's not from a bad home. We're not lazy parents. He eats well, gets enough exercise, and is living a great life with "no excuses" to point to. We've read books on the subject, implemented behavioral suggestions from a psychologist who specializes in it, etc...

Up to and including that time, we received concerns from EVERY caregiver he was in contact with. His martial arts instructor, his many various teachers, his soccer coach, his daycare lady, his summer camp counselors - everyone. He was hurting people, kicking them, punching them, knocking things off desks, stealing things from other kids, throwing dangerous objects, being literally uncontrollable (even by us in our own home), ending up in the principals office regularly, lying, etc... and the common theme through all of that? The words "he doesn't do it out of hate or anger". He was literally doing all this impulsively and without thought or control.

Our son would literally sit in bed crying his eyes out because "my brain makes me do things that I don't want to do".

Again - this was not the product of a broken home. This was my son in a cared-for and loving environment with extremely patient parents actively working to help him. We were trying everything in our power to help him.

About 6 months back I talked to a lady by chance at a park who had experience with children with ADHD (she was a teacher from a school across town). I told her my frustrations and said we were extremely against medication because we didn't want to medicate our child. She said that she would never tell us what to do but that she's seen amazing things with some of her students who ended up on medication and the biggest, most pronounced difference with the children was their self esteem and social belonging. They were no longer being yelled at and told to 'stop' all day, every day, their entire childhood lives. Classmates who refused to play with the 'problem' children started including them once they were able to control their behavior. As an avid lover of psychology and success myself, this hit me like a ton of bricks. I had never considered the negative impact of self esteem and friendship that my son was going through as a result of his condition.

We talked to our doctor and did a very, very small trial of ADHD medication (concerta extended release), just to see how he took to it.

Look at all these terrible side effects:

stomach pain,
loss of appetite,
headache,
dry mouth,
nausea,
vomiting,
sleep problems (insomnia),
anxiety,
dizziness,
weight loss,
irritability,
vision problems,
skin rash,
nervousness,
numbness/tingling/cold feeling in the hands or feet, and
sweating.

Wow, all doom and gloom. Why would anyone put a child through this?!?!

Well F*ck me - my son is thriving on this stuff.
Absolutely thriving.

The ONLY side effect he saw was a lack of appetite (which is a problem for growth reason), and that went away after a month. His teacher is now asking we send him to school with MORE food because he finishes it all and asks for more.

He is 100% the same child, with the same personality and the same likes and dislikes and same hilarious humor he always had, but he now can pay attention to things for a change. He can control himself in ways he never could before. He's not hitting anyone, he's getting asked to go to parties at friend's houses for a change, the teachers all love him, his extra curricular coaches love him, he plays nicely with his sister, he picked up a love of reading (which was impossible before), he's thriving in math (impossible before), and has done a complete 180 on all the negative behaviors that we tried for 2 years to manage through behavior alone.

He went from bottom of the class to top of the class - the teachers want him to do some extra summer-work on a few subjects because they feel he could be really ahead of the curve going into the next grade. He's being treated like the intelligent child we knew he was but was entirely unable to show before medication.

I was once the type of person to poo-poo on this shit but having a son with a real problem has really changed my perspective on the subject.

The medication, with all the nasty side effects, and all the nasty social stigma, has been without a doubt the BEST decision we've made for our son in his entire life. It was an impossibly hard decision for us to make but it was worth it in spades.

That's the thing with mental illness - you can't see it and it's very hard to notice unless you have someone in your life who is living through it.

And just because medication has nasty side effects, doesn't mean you WILL have those side effects. Different people react to different medication differently. That's why they do studies. That's why they warn you what to look out for. If you react poorly to a medication you may very well need to pivot to a new medication or decide if the side-effects are better than or worse than your condition.

I get that it's funny to laugh at the side effects of certain drugs, especially for diseases and conditions you can't see (like mental illness), but this shit genuinely helps a lot of people. If you don't like it - just don't take it. Don't go calling those who need it sheep, or saying their conditions aren't real. Maybe try living with someone you care about who feels at war with their own brain before you go throwing stones.

Last edited:

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
As for price of drugs, yes, the pills cost pennies to make, but you’re ignoring the Billions capital B that it costs for research, development and FDA trials.

Nope, I took that into account. Vraylar was developed by Forest Labs (now part of Actavis). At the time of their acquisition their R&D costs were roughly $700M - $800M per year, spread out over a dozen drugs in Phase II or later. The NDA for Cariprazine was filed in 2012, so for 3 years of development of this particular molecule would be roughly $200M-$300M. This appears to be about the industry average. Actavis spends $2.6B for 25 drugs in Phase II or later (2016), Pfizer spent $7.7B on it's pipeline of 57 drugs.

I agree that there are atypicals with much worse side-effect profiles. Such as Zyprexa, which also has the 'death' side effect, plus weight gain (<20 pounds), causes diabetes, and induces breast development and lactation in men.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Nope, I took that into account. Vraylar was developed by Forest Labs (now part of Actavis). At the time of their acquisition their R&D costs were roughly $700M - $800M per year, spread out over a dozen drugs in Phase II or later. The NDA for Cariprazine was filed in 2012, so for 3 years of development of this particular molecule would be roughly $200M-$300M. This appears to be about the industry average. Actavis spends $2.6B for 25 drugs in Phase II or later (2016), Pfizer spent $7.7B on it's pipeline of 57 drugs.

I agree that there are atypicals with much worse side-effect profiles. Such as Zyprexa, which also has the 'death' side effect, plus weight gain (<20 pounds), causes diabetes, and induces breast development and lactation in men.

I’m giving you lots of rep because you actually know what you’re talking about.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
@JAJT Apologies - didn't mean to be insensitive. I suppose I am biased based on my limited experience and it differs depending on the illness.

But for example: my experience. Had a family member with suicidal episodes, alcoholic, addictions to gambling. Was prescribed medication before with all those side effects for bi-polar disorder and it just made her a zombie. Once she decided to confront a lot of the issues from her childhood (for example), she was able to gain control and not need the medication. Have another family member diagnosed with schizophrenia, medicated like crazy and honestly it's like talking to someone who has had a lobotomy.

It seems to be the human brain is a lot more powerful than people give credit. People can actually "THINK" themselves into experiencing physical symptoms, hearing voices, etc. Reading Jordan Peterson's book and he talks about feedback loops that can cause even small events to spiral into full-on mental conditions.

Anyway, everyone's free to treat these things as they see fit, but I'm not a believer in medicating.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Also thought this might be interesting for those who haven't seen it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It seems to be the human brain is a lot more powerful than people give credit.

Let's replace "powerful" with "chemical".

The human brain is a very delicate balance of chemicals that all work together to provide you with every thought, sense and feeling you have.

This isn't an opinion - that's how the brain works. It's a cocktail of chemicals.

If you don't believe in medicating - how do you suggest treating someone who can't increase/decrease/re-adjust their brain chemical ratios to normal functioning levels?

Would you tell a type 1 diabetic to just "think", "exercise", or "diet" their way to producing more insulin? Would tell them you don't believe in medicating for their insulin deficiency?
If not, why does this line of thinking apply when talking about brain chemistry?

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
Let me tell you - my wife and I spent 2 genuine years trying to behaviorally managing my son's mental health. He's not from a bad home. We're not lazy parents. He eats well, gets enough exercise, and is living a great life with "no excuses" to point to. We've read books on the subject, implemented behavioral suggestions from a psychologist who specializes in it, etc...

We went through this exact same thing with our now 6 year, although my son also has autism which complicates things due to his inability to communicate. There were times he would do fine, then there were times he would push his little brother down the stairs, or try to hit or kick one of us. He wasn't learning anything at school because he couldn't concentrate long enough to retain anything. I vividly remember a situation where he was trying to read a book on animals, which he loves, but he was so frustrated that he couldn't concentrate on it he was crying and hitting himself in the head repeatedly.

My wife fought to get him help, but his pediatrician at the time wouldn't give him anything due to his age. So contrary to everything I've been taught in pharmacy school, we went and found a doctor that would prescribe him something for his ADHD. The results were instant, and life-changing for him.

He is 100% the same child, with the same personality and the same likes and dislikes and same hilarious humor he always had, but he now can pay attention to things for a change. He can control himself in ways he never could before. He's not hitting anyone, he's getting asked to go to parties at friend's houses for a change, the teachers all love him, his extra curricular coaches love him, he plays nicely with his sister, he picked up a love of reading (which was impossible before), he's thriving in math (impossible before), and has done a complete 180 on all the negative behaviors that we tried for 2 years to manage through behavior alone.

It's hard to describe the effect it has, but this is close. The only way I can vocalize the change is that he is still the same child, just more so. He doesn't act out any more than a typical 6 year old, plays with others, can actually read, count, write, and communicate. He recently went to a day-long basketball camp and loved it, something we wouldn't even have attempted before.
He still has his problems and idiosyncrasies due to his autism, his sleep patterns are inconsistent, and he isn't gaining weight like he should (although it could be genetic, I'm a tall skinny guy), but the benefits far, far, far outweigh the negatives.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
=
I’m giving you lots of rep because you actually know what you’re talking about.

Sadly, that's because I'm part of it. I could write a book on the sins of the industry. There is shady stuff happening at every step of the process.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
=

Sadly, that's because I'm part of it. I could write a book on the sins of the industry. There is shady stuff happening at every step of the process.

I worked for Forest, used to sell Saphris. It was a shit drug. I left the company before Vraylar finished phase III but we had doctors begging for it.

Trust me, the industry has a lot of problems. I won’t pretend greed doesn’t cause a lot of them.

But I also see the genuine good the industry does when I have family members crying, thanking me, a drug rep, for saving their spouses life.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Let's replace "powerful" with "chemical".

The human brain is a very delicate balance of chemicals that all work together to provide you with every thought, sense and feeling you have.

This isn't an opinion - that's how the brain works. It's a cocktail of chemicals.

If you don't believe in medicating - how do you suggest treating someone who can't increase/decrease/re-adjust their brain chemical ratios to normal functioning levels?

Would you tell a type 1 diabetic to just "think", "exercise", or "diet" their way to producing more insulin? Would tell them you don't believe in medicating for their insulin deficiency?
If not, why does this line of thinking apply when talking about brain chemistry?

True, it is a cocktail of chemicals, but I find it interesting that circumstances in our control can change the ratios of those chemicals. For example, you can boost chemicals such as serotonin, based on how you perceive your "status" among other people, as well as other circumstances. These are mechanisms that have been part of our brains for 350 million years.

I was depressed when I was a sidewalker and suffered from anxiety, addiction to marijuana, lack of focus on any specific task. In fact I remember at one point leaving my house to find out what a noise at the end of my alley was (road construction), because I was paranoid - which is F*cking crazy lol. According to science, I was able to achieve a move healthy "balance" of chemicals in my brain when I changed my circumstances. There are tons of studies on the links between poverty and mental illness, for example. If you're born into lower social/socio-economical status, you're more at-risk for developing a mental-illness.

I apologize for saying I am "completely against medicating" as I have limited experience. But I think it's ignorant to not recongnize the overwhelming link between mental health/ brain chemicals and your environment/choices.

Last edited:

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
I worked for Forest, used to sell Saphris. It was a sh*t drug. I left the company before Vraylar finished phase III but we had doctors begging for it.

Trust me, the industry has a lot of problems. I won’t pretend greed doesn’t cause a lot of them.

But I also see the genuine good the industry does when I have family members crying, thanking me, a drug rep, for saving their spouses life.

Exactly. This reminds me of when Merck, a major pharm company, made a breakthrough discovery with a cure for river blindness in the 1980's.The only problem was first world nations didn't have this problem. The only people affected by river blindness were in poor-a$$ African nations that couldn't afford it. So they did what any self-respecting capitalistic corporation would do: bury it in a vault and move on... or end up donating 100's of millions of doses to developing nations every year for the past 40 years. It is the longest running drug-disease specific donation program, and they continue it to this day.

And then it pushes Vioxx, created fake medical journals to legitimize it, causes thousands of deaths and settles for $7B (out of $11B in revenue). It just makes you wonder.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, nice to see a great discussion happening here.

As anyone knows, I don't trust the pharmaceutical industry. And I'm also the believer that 90% (made up statistic that I just believe is HIGH) of all ailments can be solved by the proper diet. Lunchables and fruit-roll ups are NOT the proper diet.

The medication of the populous is one of the biggest industries when it shouldn't be. IMO, medication by a drug should be the absolute LAST RESORT. But it isn't -- it becomes the first. Why? Because it is easier to take a pull rather than to change something that must be thought about 20X a day. (EATING). The pill is the EVENT, the radical change in what goes into your piehole, the PROCESS. Of course drugs wins. Of course pills win.

My thoughts on this are obviously biased because my SO is a nurse who is in healthcare and hears story after story, plus she gets wind of who is taking what drug.

Just to give you an example, last week she had a diabetic patient who weighed close to 400 lbs. She was on one diabetic drug after another, plus more drugs to counteract the those drugs. In passing conversation, she mentioned that her SON walked down to the 7-11 every day and got her a BIG GULP of COKE. No, not the 16 oz cup, but the mega 128 oz. And not only that, HAND DELIVERED.

When my GF asked her "Oh wow, you drink that for breakfast?" she laughed dismissively and said "Oh, no, I just slurp it all day." As if this changed anything -- instead of having 300G of sugar in 1 hour, you pace it over 8. Wow.

This is no different than poking yourself in the vein with an IV everyday and taking a steady drip of sugar.

Think she ever tried to change her diet?

Stopped the "every-second-of-the-day" IV drip of sugar?

Walked around the block?

Nope.

Give me my pills so I can continue killing myself and not change what I'm doing.

And we haven't even discussed what else was in her "diet."

My guess is the last time this person ate a raw vegetable Hillary Clinton's husband was president.

Big Pharm and Big-Ag go hand-in-hand. One poisons, the other medicates.

My point isn't that drugs are bad -- but they're prescribed BADLY.

@JAJT is an example on how they should be administered -- it sounded like he tried EVERYTHING.

Then the last resort becomes, well, the last resort.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
The medication of the populous is one of the biggest industries when it shouldn't be. IMO, medication by a drug should be the absolute LAST RESORT. But it isn't -- it becomes the first. Why? Because it is easier to take a pull rather than to change something that must be thought about 20X a day. (EATING). The pill is the EVENT, the radical change in what goes into your piehole, the PROCESS. Of course drugs wins. Of course pills win.

I did one of my graduate rotations at the local VA Hospital. One of my duties was to help staff the diabetes clinic. One of the first weeks I was there, a patient came in that was a newly diagnosed type II diabetic. His A1C (a marker of diabetes) was 14.1%. That's really F*cking high. Almost organ failure high.

Per protocol (because it's the VA), he was put on a few oral medications plus insulin. We also gave him the spiel on diet and exercise. He obviously took it to heart, because when we saw him 6 weeks later his A1C was around 7%. We ended up stopping his insulin and all but one of his oral medications. I left soon thereafter, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was off all his diabetic medications. Because, like MJ said, he chose to focus on the process instead of the event. We also had more than a few patients who would get their pills and still refuse to take them. One told me his excuse for not taking his meds was that if it was his time to go, well then it was just his time (he was about 50).

So yes, a lot of our most common illnesses (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, obesity) can be fixed by simply getting off the couch and watching what we put into our piehole.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
@JAJT is an example on how they should be administered -- it sounded like he tried EVERYTHING.

Then the last resort becomes, well, the last resort.
The role of medicines as the 'last resort' was the same for my skin allergies.

At first I tried natural stuff. Special soaps and lotions.

Diet wise, I might source kampung chicken (village chickens that run around as opposed to being caged), have more raw vege and nuts (limited to walnuts, cashews and hazelnuts, though. Peanut allergies).

I was also put on rather weird health practices like coffee enemas from NewLife (not exactly a pleasant way of treatment) to clear my bowels and indirectly, the bloodstream. After all, what comes out on the skin is caused by what happens inside.

Still didn't work out well. Itchiness and sleepless nights reigned.

A year or so ago, I finally went to see a doctor, who prescribed steroids, mild creams and a medicated lotion.

My skin improved relatively well enough for me to drop the steroids and focus on lotions.:)

And yes, I got my beauty sleep back...until Fastlane demands come knocking at the door.:p

I still eat pretty healthily. I might have raw vege like lettuce, cucumbers or cherry tomatoes, with a sweet potato on the side for dinner tonight.

Simple, but sufficient.

In my case, the worst of the ailment has to be suppressed with medicines. At best, natural alternatives and a great diet are a long-term play. The latter won't heal you miraculously, but across months and years, their benefits compound.

In a practical situation, considering how ailments can pop in suddenly, healthcare is like an orchestra. You can play this 'orchestra' with meds alone, and to a certain degree, you can't play on non-med routes and natural diets alone.

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
It doesn't help conflating acute medical problems / presentations with chronic self inflicted illnesses.

Most of the patients I see come to me due to medical problems they themselves have caused; hypertension, hip replacements, osteoarthritis, diabetes, COPD a myriad of cancers. And most of the patients that come to me are requesting a magic pill to cure them. No matter how hard I try, the majority of patients choose to take the pill without taking a good hard look at themselves.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Just to give you an example, last week she had a diabetic patient who weighed close to 400 lbs. She was on one diabetic drug after another, plus more drugs to counteract the those drugs. In passing conversation, she mentioned that her SON walked down to the 7-11 every day and got her a BIG GULP of COKE. No, not the 16 oz cup, but the mega 128 oz. And not only that, HAND DELIVERED.

I had to Google what that was, now I'm literally stunned that such a thing is even sold at convenience stores. I think at a dumb 18 I managed a 1.5 litre/50 oz bottle a day occasionally. 2.5 times that almost puts people in the self harm category. I can't imagine how anyone could find any way to stay healthy drinking that much sugar every day.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I had to Google what that was, now I'm literally stunned that such a thing is even sold at convenience stores. I think at a dumb 18 I managed a 1.5 litre/50 oz bottle a day occasionally. 2.5 times that almost puts people in the self harm category. I can't imagine how anyone could find any way to stay healthy drinking that much sugar every day.

Saw it two days ago as well... the convenience store sold 128 oz plastic jugs and some poor guy was filling it with Pepsi.

pACE3-12562790enh-z7.jpg

His jacket looked like it had an HVAC patch but in reality, he should have had these logos stitched to it ... Merck, Eli Lilly, Gilead, Glasko...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Saw it two days ago as well... the convenience store sold 128 oz plastic jugs and some poor guy was filling it with Pepsi.

pACE3-12562790enh-z7.jpg

His jacket looked like it had an HVAC patch but in reality, he should have had these logos stitched to it ... Merck, Eli Lilly, Gilead, Glasko...

So, because half of America can’t understand basic nutrition and is obese, and they get Type 2 diabetes, companies like Novo who make next gen insulin are the bad guys..?

Yes, a lot of the ailments people suffer from are self inflicted due to bad diet and obesity. But does that mean we shouldn’t develop drugs to treat them? Or should be just tell them it’s their fault and let them slowly die from necrosis due to their uncontrolled blood pressure...

Also, Merck and Gilead? They are literally eradicating Hep C 9 Countries Are on Track to Completely Eradicate Hepatitis C

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.