The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Article: I retired at 34 with $3 million—here are 5 downsides of early retirement that no one tells you

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
All great problems to have! I do have a big question..... why did this person retire, supposedly have $3 million yet have a mortgage?..... and why would this person be worried about the mortgage if this person did in fact have one? They had $3 million to pay if off at any time if they chose to.

#3. Everyone that knows me, looks up to me for being retired.

I don't really think the writer is retired. I think this is an article to promote his/ her website.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Good points, thanks for the article.

"If you’re unhappy before you retire early, it’s likely that you’ll still be unhappy after you retire."

Happiness has nothing to do with money.
Having money just grants you (from TMF point of view) time freedom. The end.

What you decide to do with that time is what can make you happy or miserable.

And yes you can be an employee and happy. But I believe the argument concerning money should only be made about gaining time freedom and not happiness.

But again, it all depends on the definition of happiness. An atheist and a Christian/religious person have two different definitions of that word. So how can we agree on the definition?

Good thing MJ doesn't allow religious/political topics here or this place would burn with arguments on totally different points of views which usually cannot be changed.

/enoughphilosophy

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
I'd still gladly retire tomorrow if I could! Sounds like he just needed some hobbies. Also, if he's running a blog, then he's not really retired, right?

To me "retirement" simply means not having to work in order to pay the bills. Doesn't mean you can't still pursue a business, but you have the freedom to do whatever you want, and spend as much or as little time on it as you want, since you don't NEED the money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
Money satisfies physiological necessities and material comfort, and not psychological needs. Abstract "goods" like purpose, meaning, moral duty, and existence (raison d'etre) cannot be purchased with money.

Starving artist = no money, but most psychological needs satisfied
Wall St banker = lots of money but soulless line of work

Ever wonder why these high flying stars end up in drug rehab? There's your answer.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
There's some truth to all of his points.

I wasn't retired, but at one point on my journey I was making better-than-my-day-job money, but only working 4-5 hours a week.

Yes, finding motivation to do things can be a challenge sometimes.

The social aspect of working from home was tough as well. None of your friends are free during your new free time. So you have to make new ones, but that takes time.

For me, I focused on family. Did a lot of stuff with my daughter on weekdays. It was a really happy time.

I also took care of my health for the first time in my life. Learned how to eat right and exercise... invested in myself. I had the time to figure it all out.

With a few more years under my belt, I know if I was to "retire", I'd take on any number of cool projects that I want to do, but don't have the time for. I have enough like-minded connections now, that my social life isn't tied to work anymore.

On the other side of the fence... grinding 40+ hours a week on a business that I passionate about and building for the long-term trades some of that freedom for a very fulfilling sense of purpose. I really believe in what I am doing, and how it's making a mark on the world. And even though I spend a little less time with my family, there's something to be said for the pride they have in the work that I'm doing. My wife loves bragging about me. My kids love to hear my stories and see all the cool stuff happening at the warehouse.

I think humans were made to work. But work doesn't have to be a job. It can be whatever you want to produce/work on/achieve. Stagnation is what leads to unhappiness, and I feel like the author of the article experienced a period of stagnation.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
None of your friends are free during your new free time. So you have to make new ones, but that takes time.

If you ever need a friend, send me a message. I'm always down to go biking in Dallas or whatever you're into. We can do it on a Tuesday.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Retiring at 34? That sounds like a F*cking nightmare.

Listen, I've done crap like that. Like "I have plenty of money in the bank, I don't need to work for a while.. F*ck it." It's not long before you suffer existentially. I got depressed because I no longer had the social status and purpose I had while I was working.

I mean I guess this is fine, but make sure you're still doing something for the world. Bill Gates retired and did philanthropy.Something like that is a good bet.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Nice article, I definitely understand the author's sentiment regarding meetings:

"I no longer have to endure unproductive meetings or put up with nefarious colleagues."

LOL. Sick of the corporate meetings and all of its B.S.; they are a real life drain. BUT, I will be honest, it adds to my why.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In culture, "retired" generally means exiting the workforce with a corresponding loss of meaning and purpose.

You can be retired and still maintain a strong meaning and purpose.

I've been "semi-retired" for nearly 15 years... but I still have a meaning for living, a purpose to live, and goals I'd like to reach.

This kinda really ties into this month's book discussion, Man's Search for Meaning.

If you maintain a purpose in life, you'll never retire by society's definition.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The social aspect of working from home was tough as well. None of your friends are free during your new free time. So you have to make new ones, but that takes time.

This x 100. Made quite a few other entrepreneur friends, but the problem with other entrepreneur hustlers is that we are always working! And when we're not, it's usually because we're in various stages of starting/growing/running businesses and our downtimes never match up!

Reminds me of the "road to the top is the loneliest place on Earth"

风继续吹

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 26, 2019
换个方式来说,在一定的条件下退休提前,只是换了一种生活态度,去追去生活上的某种意义

To put it another way, retiring in advance under certain conditions, just changing a life attitude, to chase a certain meaning in life

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.