The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I retired for a year at age 38: here's what I learned.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
For the year of 2015, I was a retired 38 year old.

I traveled whenever & where ever I wanted (3 continents & 7 countries –and a few of our country’s national parks to boot), only worked if I wanted to (and with whom I wanted –namely, clients I knew &liked) & basically didn’t do a goddamned thing I didn’t feel like doing. All year. It was pretty F*cking cool.

Why? A few reasons…

In the past few years, I’ve come to realize that I carry an unhealthy mental association with “retirement”…. What do I mean? Most people in this country die within a few years of retirement (loss of purpose in life). Most people are so ill by the time they retire, they simply can’t live a life of standard operation or enjoyment. Many people don’t even make it to retirement –a trend I see on an exponential upswing for my generation. I was also worried about boredom. The concept of “retiring” left me with a feeling of inner trepidation.

Both of my parents passed away young & within 5 years of each other (WTF). They were in their late 50’s & early 60’s respectively. Neither were retired. So the point has been driven home to me that we have no guarantees. You may be putting things off that you will never live to experience. So how do we walk this tightrope of balancing “living for today” while still “preparing for tomorrow” in a responsible manner?

Most people wait until they’re actually retired to do the things they really want. And for most people, that means when they’re old, typically in failing health & unable to do many of the things they previously wanted. So after a thought-provoking conversation with Biophase in late 2014, I said, F*ck it, I’m going to retire for 2015. I mean, what is it really aside taking a year off the end of the typical 70 year old’s life & planting smack dab into my 30’s? Will I lose money? Probably. Do I care? No, I’m young & determined/capable enough to make more. I’ll be just fine. Let’s do this.

So what did I learn? A few things…

Hands down, the biggest lesson that was drilled home this year was THE DAILY SMALL DECISIONS ADD UP THE FINISHED PRODUCT YOU SEE IN LIFE. What do I mean?

In the beginning of 2013, I changed up my diet to an auto-immune anti-inflammatory protocol –more widely known as the paleo approach. Let me tell you, it changed my world. Completely. So much so, that I never looked back. Now, as a 38 year old woman, I’m in the best shape of my life, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. All because of a few small decisions I make every day, namely: what goes on the conveyor belt at the grocery store. Then,another few decisions at home in the kitchen: what am I going to cook? I probably make 4 – 6 small decisions on what to eat & drink every day. Very small decisions made easy by setting myself up for success (ie: not bringing sugar in to the house, making sure I have lots of fresh food on hand to prepare a variety of things, good cookbooks on hand, etc, etc).

Fast forward to 2015: I fine-tuned the machine this year. Expanded my recipe repertoire in the kitchen & branched out in to spice palettes from the world. Holy shit, I can actually cook some pretty respectable meals now –meals even normal people would eat & enjoy, lol.

Another facet of this lesson was how important that diet is to health. It seems like a big “well no shit, Sherlock” statement, but there’s a serious disconnect in this country from associating our overall health & well-being to what we put in our body. Food provides the foundation on which to operate a determined mind, a positive attitude & feeling well enough to accomplish your predetermined goals. What you eat is a small decision, every day, multiple times a day.

I couldn’t workout like I wanted this entire past year due to the onset of a frozen shoulder in Q4 of 2014. I learned that I’m a pretty All-Or-Nothing kinda person…. Can’t do the upper body lifting workout I want to at the gym? FINE I WON’T DO ANY LIFTING ROUTINE. AT ALL. I never realized I was so polarized in this regard: If I can’t do it to the full extent of what I want, I won’t do it at all…. I could probably use some balance there… might need to work on that….

Now applying the same “Daily Small Decisions” understanding to my book, we see why sales have stagnated & are only trickling through. I am not making the multiple, small daily decisions that set the foundation for an amazing result. Period. I stopped even trying mid-way through last year. So it makes complete sense. Time to get crankin'...

What else did I learn?

I don’t need as much money as I thought I once did to retire… I’m sure there will always be parts of the world that I want to see/explore, but I also love being home. I love the desert & don’t feel the need to escape this place. This is home & I smile every time I return. I’ve always felt that it was important to love where you live but his point has been driven home. I love it here.

Sooo…. Red, are you saying I should say ‘F*ck it!’ and take next year off?!??

Now, don’t take this as something that I’m saying everyone should do. We each come from different backgrounds, carry different mindsets, and have different obstacles to overcome. We all have different ways of doing things & what works for one person may render zero results for another person. The point of this post is not to say everyone should try this. But what I will say is that everyone should review their mental ruminating & determine if what they hold as truth will benefit them or inhibit them. Mindsets that hold you back must be addressed, in whatever format you deem necessary.

This was the route of action that I chose to address what I perceived were some mental roadblocks to the life I want to live. This was the best way I could think of to address them. I’m very glad I did. It changed my perspective on what “retirement” means to me & how I plan on accomplishing it. I no longer have that internal trepidation or look at it as some distant goal to be achieved. If anything, it’s shown me that I’m actually not too far off from it now in how I live now. And that was a refreshing take on things. My year of retirement has shown me that I really have it pretty good & my life won’t change much once I classify myself as the big R. It also showed me that I need to step up my game so I can make it happen sooner rather than later, as it’s now something that I will look forward to, even if it’s not much different than life as I know it now.

All in all, I’m glad I did it & believe that what I learned will only benefit me in setting my life up for the way I want to live it. Thanks for reading. Please feel free to share how you overcame mental roadblocks that stood in your way, I'd love to hear them!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
So basically, you did not plan

Honestly, yeah, I believe I had that conversation in Nov or possibly early Dec of the previous year & decided to jump in with both feet...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My diet sucks. I have eaten garbage foods all my life and do not feel like it has affected me in a negative way. Perhaps I could have run a 2:50 marathon instead of 2:53. But, I keep active so I can EAT. :)

Maybe I will die young or something will catch up to me. But, I am one of the healthiest and most capable people around for my age. All this on a processed food diet.

My hat is off to you though. It is nice to have that discipline and focus.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Sounds like you love cooking. :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great read @Red ...thanks and congratulations on your ventures !

I learned that I’m a pretty All-Or-Nothing kinda person
This is interesting to me. I am the opposite. I've trained and worked through torn biceps (yes...plural), pec tear, shoulder issues, knee issue...and oh so much more. My perspective is more like " Really ? Well F**k you !(to the injury) I'm training !" Did the workouts suck ? Pretty much, yea. But I did it.

Maybe it doesn't have so much to do with the all-or-nothing and more to do with what life throws at... me I'm not stopping.
I have eaten garbage foods all my life and do not feel like it has affected me in a negative way.
You might be one of those .... Super Humans...or something like that. Seriously...I forget the term but there are published studies on people who have...Super Genes. The technical term escapes me. You do get a full physical w/blood work yearly I assume. Sometimes we don't think we feel bad until we change something and then we feel better.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
My diet sucks. I have eaten garbage foods all my life and do not feel like it has affected me in a negative way.

Wondering: have you at some point tried the "clean" or -not-so-garbage-y- eating?
Besides the marathon performance, just made me think if it would affect a mental/clarity part.

Sorry for sidetrack!

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I've always imagined being in this position, but in a more business-oriented way. So let me ask you this @Red :

In that year of retirement, did you feel any ADDITIONAL inspiration or success towards business goals? Perhaps maybe projects you had come across years ago that were put on the back-burner, or perhaps you finally learning how to do basic programming like you promised yourself in 2013.

Did any of that come into play?

I say that because my very FIRST objective to accomplish once I reach that Fastlane threshhold is to spend a year off reorganizing myself into new industries and areas of expertise. Basically saying to myself, "Okay, I wasn't able to do everything I wanted before, because of my financial and time circumstances... So now that I have the money and time, what is stopping me?"

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Wondering: have you at some point tried the "clean" or -not-so-garbage-y- eating?
Besides the marathon performance, just made me think if it would affect a mental/clarity part.

Sorry for sidetrack!
I have. I did not feel any difference. That doesn't mean that there wasn't any but it was not noticeable to me. I did notice a difference when alcohol was removed from the diet.

I have a different opinion on mental clarity than most people. It is not physical as we think it is.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have. I did not feel any difference. That doesn't mean that there wasn't any but it was not noticeable to me. I did notice a difference when alcohol was removed from the diet.

I have a different opinion on mental clarity than most people. It is not physical as we think it is.

Hi Steve, I can run pretty well on junk food also. But I did notice an improvement on just mentally wanting to do more as I ate better food. Basically if we use sports cars as an analogy for how I felt. If most people are at a Honda/Toyota level and that I was at an Audi/BMW level on any kind of food, but eating better put me at not quite but close to a Ferrari level.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Honestly, yeah, I believe I had that conversation in Nov or possibly early Dec of the previous year & decided to jump in with both feet...

Shit, why don't I remember this conversation. I feel that I need one now for myself in 2016 ;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hi Steve, I can run pretty well on junk food also. But I did notice an improvement on just mentally wanting to do more as I ate better food. Basically if we use sports cars as an analogy for how I felt. If most people are at a Honda/Toyota level and that I was at an Audi/BMW level on any kind of food, but eating better put me at not quite but close to a Ferrari level.
Perhaps that is true. But simply basing this on my experience tells me different. I feel that keeping very active and physically fit plays a much higher role than food.

I love to eat sweets and do not want to give them up. Staying physically fit makes me feel like I can eat more junk. :)

There are not many people that can keep up with me on a physical level. Perhaps this is boasting but I feel like I run circles around people with mental clarity and focus.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
There are not many people that can keep up with me on a physical level. Perhaps this is boasting but I feel like I run circles around people with mental clarity and focus.
@biophase No comments about my poker playing ability... :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Staying physically fit makes me feel like I can eat more junk. :)

This is true for me also. I feel like if I workout everyday, I can eat whatever I want and not get fat and still be relatively competitive in sports for my age. The question is, do I want that extra 10-20% of physical performance improvement when playing a weekly sport? Probably not worth it to me at this point.

I also know that after a hard day of mountain biking. Eating a healthy meal feels nowhere near as good as downing a pizza, coke, fries and a shake. Sometimes you have to enjoy life!

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
Awesome read, thanks for sharing your experience. I love the lesson you learned about your diet: that the small choices matter.

This point has been hammered home to me over the last 4 years as I've seen small habits add up—and make a huge difference in my life.

For example, over a year ago I started learning the guitar. I committed to playing 20-30 minutes every day. Not a ground-breaking commitment by any means.

But now, after playing for over 400 days straight, it's starting to pay off big. I can play songs at a level that's a lot of fun.

It's the small stuff people! Stop looking for the big event to save you...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've always imagined being in this position, but in a more business-oriented way. So let me ask you this @Red :

In that year of retirement, did you feel any ADDITIONAL inspiration or success towards business goals? Perhaps maybe projects you had come across years ago that were put on the back-burner, or perhaps you finally learning how to do basic programming like you promised yourself in 2013.

Did any of that come into play?

I say that because my very FIRST objective to accomplish once I reach that Fastlane threshhold is to spend a year off reorganizing myself into new industries and areas of expertise. Basically saying to myself, "Okay, I wasn't able to do everything I wanted before, because of my financial and time circumstances... So now that I have the money and time, what is stopping me?"
I was speaking to a coach earlier this year.

I said something like "If money was no object then I'd do ..."

He interrupted me and said "It isn't."

@Red

Great story. Thanks for writing up your insights.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
"It isn't."

You have no idea how inspiring that is to me. One of my greatest personal challenges has been overcoming the fear of losing money. It has held me back from many project successes and I still feel it breathing down my neck as I prepare to launch my current startup.

I've read more books than I can count on Marketing, Corporate Finance, Management, the Business Mindset, and still have that shortcoming.

I'm hoping that my current startup is my breaking point. There is a sense of urgency that just might be the solution to my weakness.

Again, thank you for the inspiration! I work every day with the goal of giving back to this forum as a major driver to my actions.

Edit: I only have two hands. Woops. *I can count

Traveling Morgue

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 3, 2014
Indiana
Hands down, the biggest lesson that was drilled home this year was THE DAILY SMALL DECISIONS ADD UP THE FINISHED PRODUCT YOU SEE IN LIFE. What do I mean?

I could not agree more.

The book "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olsen is all about this idea. I would suggest that every aspiring entrepreneur gives this a read.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
You guys have some great questions & comments here... I'll come back to write more when I get some time... this year has been insane so far, but that's a good thing.....

TJH

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 28, 2012
Great, motivational post. My experience has been week and month times off. For me, having large blocks of free time takes some planning, if I want to spend the time well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.