The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Argh! How should I respond to my teacher? Or..am I the wrong one

Anything related to matters of the mind

desinaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 7, 2009
I wrote my post for an assignment on the "Discussion board". This was a response to another person's post (which counts towards my grade. My reply got a 2 out of a 2.5 which is pretty bad considering how short most people's replies are. I got into this reply). My teacher's response is in caps.

[FONT=&quot]I can definitely relate to Brittany. My family never had a serious financial issue while I was growing up, and all three of my siblings went to college. Recently, however, I notice that I am not as fortunate as my brothers, and I must commute to William Paterson because my parents don't have the money for me to live on campus like they did in the past. I realize I am still very fortunate compared to others, but I am recognizing certain changes in my family's lifestyle.

I can also relate to Brittany in that, from a very early age, my parents have always stressed how important it is to get good grades in order to 'get ahead' in life. In their minds, if I finish college with good grades, and I come out with that special piece of paper, I will be able to get a high paying job and become successful in life. However, I feel that this could not be farther from the truth.

Presently, it seems higher education being a necessity is the wide spread belief. One must consider if everyone across the globe is going through college, is it really setting you apart from anyone? One must also consider that a vast majority of these students are not getting help from their families and must pay their way through school. In business terms, going for a degree sounds just like buying a business that is guaranteed to lose money for the first five years, competes in an incredibly overcrowded market, requires the owner to work forty hours a week, and the owner can't declare bankruptcy or sell it! (*This was an analogy someone made on this forum! I'll have to dig up who to give credit..)

It is also interesting to note that people with a college education can sometimes be overqualified for a particular job. I am still going through college because my parents are so stuck to the 'old school' mentality that if I decided I did not want to go to school they would probably force me to live on my own. In my situation, having a degree is definitely beneficial since I have something to fall back on (which is exactly what I consider it, a back up plan) and my parents are financing it. However, with so many people becoming wealthy in areas that require a strong work ethic and not a college degree (Real estate for example), MICHAEL, THE REAL ESTATE MARKET IS IN TERRIBLE TROUBLE RIGHT NOW!! I do not believe a college education is a necessity to make it in this world, or support a family. MICHAEL, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ SOME GOOD NEWSPAPERS ON A REGULAR BASIS, LOOK AT SOME STATISTICS ON UNEMPLOYMENT (COLLEGE GRADUATES VS. NON-COLLEGE GRADS), AND LOOK AT THE REAL ESTATE MARKET MORE CLOSELY. MUCH OF THIS INFORMATION IS ALSO FOUND IN TE TEXT FOR THIS CLASS! YOUR PERPSECTIVE DOES NOT MATCH TODAY’S REALITY. YOU ARE VERY RIGHT THAT A COLLEGE EDUCATION IS NO GUARANTEE OF A GOOD JOB. HOWEVER, IT MAKES YOUR CHANCES OF FINDING ONE MUCH BETTER THAN THEY WOULD BE WITHOUT ONE (UNLESS YOU HAD SOME GREAT VOCATIONAL TRAINING— WHICH IS ALL TOO RARE THESE DAYS)![/FONT]

I am kind of flabbergasted at this. Haha. My perspective doesn't match today's reality? I was under the impression that one can make it happen regardless of how the market is doing. What do you guys think of this post?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
<----- teacher, making money in real estate everyday

It's not going to do you any good to pick this fight. You will not change her/his mind and if you piss the teacher off it will be harder for you to finish the class. "You got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and know when to run." She means well, tell the teacher thank you and smile.

Good luck.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Tell them they have a great point and move forward with your fastlane endeavors.

Don't try to teach a pig to sing. You'll only frustrate yourself and annoy the pig.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Your teacher like most blindly believe in statistics and that the dream of everybody is to get a good stable job with security and benefits. For some that is true but for others the dream is different whether self employed or a business owner etc. There are some who found college to be one of the most beneficial experiences of there life and other such as my self who found it to be the biggest waste of money on a ROI basis. I spent six figure on something that has no resale value or appreciation.

There have been ongoing debates on whether the college degree is the cause of success or that those that get a degree are more driven and therefore earn more because of their drive.

Everybody talks about how making money in real-estate is over. I believe it was Warren Buffett who said to be fearful when everybody is greedy and greedy when everybody is fearful.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
It reminds me of when I signed up for classes earlier this semester. I moved and had to transfer from one community college to another. I sat down with my advisor as she looked over my grades, which were complete shit, and says "DO YOU REALLY WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE, REALLY??" I could of sat there for 20 minutes talking about how college is BS, and the only reason I go is because my parents want me to have a degree. Here is a lady, probably making around 30k a year pretty much preaching that college is the end all be all. The point I'm trying to make is pick and choose your battles. No use wasting time even contemplating what she had said, it's pointless.
She proves her perspective is worthless when she says, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ SOME GOOD NEWSPAPERS ON A REGULAR BASIS. How many newspapers and news channels do you know that arn't biased, left winged or right? She read a few clippings and all of a sudden she is an expert? She is part OF THE HERD!! She is a sheep, and she follows sheep. She is just regurgitating some shit she has heard in the past to try and make it relevant. Keep your head down, get through school as easily as possible (enless it's something rediciclous that you can fight like a biased grade) and blaze your own path.

desinaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 7, 2009
There have been ongoing debates on whether the college degree is the cause of success or that those that get a degree are more driven and therefore earn more because of their drive.

Everybody talks about how making money in real-estate is over. I believe it was Warren Buffett who said to be fearful when everybody is greedy and greedy when everybody is fearful.

I especially like those two points! Interesting. While I agree with you guys that certain times it's best to just look the other way (and I should take this approach during religious debates as well most likely haha), this time my grade suffered from it. I think I might just give her a simple reply, but not get to into it. She gave a message out via email stating to talk with her if any of us have a question with the feedback.

Would you mind if I used what you said in the email Pete?

MartinV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Sep 17, 2011
I am kind of flabbergasted at this. Haha. My perspective doesn't match today's reality? I was under the impression that one can make it happen regardless of how the market is doing. What do you guys think of this post?

Well, first, telling your professor that college isn't necessary (however true it may be), is very likely to instantly put him on the defensive, since that is what he's spent his life doing and all... Also, do you deny that his points are true? The real estate market really doing great overall? Is unemployment not higher for people with no college education? (this link says it's twice as high for high school graduates as opposed to college graduates Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment )

Of course, you're just saying that it's possible, but then, anything is possible. This is a forum entirely focused on the outliers of life. Almost by definition, the things we occupy ourselves with aren't the things that can work for everyone. As everyone else has said, pick your fights. This one isn't a productive use of your energy.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
This issue is black and white: There are people who believe in merit-based capitalism and people who believe in some version of the opposite of that. Those who believe in the opposite of that have been trained to listen to the media and others instead of their own gut and mind which contain all that anyone needs.

An above poster was correct when they stated that the professor's opinion was rendered 100% useless when they recommended reading newspapers. The fact that one's income is in direct proportion to their contribution is the reality that exists in Western democracies such as the U.S. regardless of anyone's ignorance to that fact.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Would you mind if I used what you said in the email Pete?

You are more then welcome to use them any time. Quotes are a lot like business ideas I have plenty more where those came from and they mean nothing without action.

The real estate market really doing great overall?

Yes, but the job market especially for the financial service industry looks about as good as the real estate market. I do agree with the picking of fights, I still struggle with that one and it definitely had a negative impact on my grades.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You are trying to preach fastlane mentality to a teacher LOL.

I love how people say "the real estate market is terrible" so therefore you are screwed apperantly. LOL fastlane people know better. Now is the time to buy RE my friends especially in places like Florida.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It's funny, because I'm going through the exact opposite of what you guys are going through. At my school, there is a huge push for entrepreneurs (and by 'huge' i mean maybe 1% of the school actually gives a crap, which is a lot more than most schools!) and advisors here actually do see entrepreneurship as a valid career path. However, they refer mostly to high-tech ventures with extremely high risk. I'm not a high-tech guy, so it's odd for me in my own situation, trying to start up an advertising company.

My parents are supportive of me. My girlfriend is supportive of me. The only people who are not supportive of me are my girlfriend's parents and people I know back in my hometown. Since I've given up on my hometown (it's sad since my family is there, but it's what I had to do), there's no stopping me from here. I have a friend whose plan is to start the business while in school and get to a profitability margin to the point where he can drop out. That's my plan as well, except I'll be moving once again after I leave.

Everyone here made the right decision by signing up to Fastlane. The more people who support you, the less worries you will have when you fail.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Your teacher is your customer, your commodity is your work in their class, the money is the grade he will give you. Your customer, just told you what they want, do you want to be right and minimize your income or follow the old adage "the customer is always right" and give them exactly what they want for maximum revenue?

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Some people believe that they are entrepreneurs despite evidence to the contrary. Vice versa.

desinaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 7, 2009
Well, first, telling your professor that college isn't necessary (however true it may be), is very likely to instantly put him on the defensive, since that is what he's spent his life doing and all... Also, do you deny that his points are true? The real estate market really doing great overall? Is unemployment not higher for people with no college education? (this link says it's twice as high for high school graduates as opposed to college graduates Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment )

Of course, you're just saying that it's possible, but then, anything is possible. This is a forum entirely focused on the outliers of life. Almost by definition, the things we occupy ourselves with aren't the things that can work for everyone. As everyone else has said, pick your fights. This one isn't a productive use of your energy.

No, I did not disagree with her on those points. However, in the girl's post the main idea was that a college degree is a necessity to make it in this world and without one she would not be able to support a family.

I was showing that this is false and that there are other ways to do it. Although I listed negative things for college to support my response, a college degree will definitely help in getting a job.

You go to William Patterson in New Jersey?

Indeed I do! You in the area?

By the way guys, I replied to her response to me already. Her second reply to me was that she changed my response grade to a 2.5/2.5, and she gave me .5 overall on my grade haha! For the people that were telling me to drop it, I am way to stubborn for that! But I do agree with you guys that one must pick their fights. Very True. I thought this one was worth it because it was kind of fun too. I can post the emails but its a lot to read and I don't know if you guys really care about it enough..

Cheers!

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
Congrats on getting you grade changed. I know from experience how useless it is to preach to a slowlaner. They have long since given up on their goals and want you to do the same. Good luck to you buddy!

Sky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 6, 2011
So many things going on in this. Where to start...

Your teacher, seeing from their ignorance and stand on superiority towards you indicates that he/she is only in that position because it gives him/her a sense of power. It's easy to blow your students out of the water when you know they are incapable of properly defending themselves. She/He holds your grades so even if you were to successfully win the debate, your grades would suffer. A real teacher of integrity would encourage and question your thoughts, not flip it and ram it down your throat with Cap sized letters. SMH.

People, in general, want to believe they are right. Your statement incites that your teacher made a mistake to become a teacher, which requires a degree. You have to tread carefully when you criticize others on their lifestyle. Especially if they are in a position of power. Try going to a strip club and tell a stripper her job is immoral. Go to a church, with scientific evidence in hand, and preach atheistism. Though on separate spectrums, the conclusion is the same, you will be met with deaf ears, or worse, persecution.

Law one of the 48 laws of power is "Never out shine the master." Which is true. I learned the hard way. You have nothing to gain from being upset with your teacher's opinions. Sadly, you are in college and now being exposed to the real world of ignorance. It can be quite breath-taking. My advice? People want to be as stupid as they want to be. Sometimes, too, teachers may know a subject matter but know nothing about teaching.

You are on the right track. Trust yourself, cause no one else will do it for you. You know, Bill Gates took a Harvard business class, dropped out, created Microsoft. Mark Zuckerburg took the same class, dropped out, created Facebook. You see a trend here? Those who took the class and graduated, are now working for these guys, or maybe wish they did. Stay fly.

lawdog12355

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 19, 2011
Having attended (and graduated from) college, I can relate to your frustration. I have been in many situations where my professors and I would have very different views on issues. But, like many others have stated, this professor ultimately holds your grade in their hands and can make your life very difficult. The way that I liked to handle these types of situations when I was in college was to make it a challenge to myself to get what I wanted. Lets say for example that what I wanted was an "A" in a certain class where the professor and I may have opposing views about certain topics and would certainly try to embarrass me in front of the class or fail me if I differed from his "correct" views; I would just treat it like a sales tactic, "what do I have to do to put you in this BRAND NEW CAR today!? (ie. what do I have to do to GET AN A?!)", so essentially what I would do is just "sell" the professor what they wanted to hear (whether I agreed with it or not) and in turn the professor would "pay" me with what I wanted, an A in my class. It may sound ridiculous, but if you look at it in the right light it can teach you a very valuable lesson about how to deal with people who have different views than yourself to get what you want, in the real world there are a ton of idiots that think they know better than you and depending on what you end up doing they may be the ones your fastlane business is profiting off of and you'll need to know how to deal with them. So, ultimately what I'm saying is, you can always turn something into a positive and trust me a fight about whether or not a college degree is worth it isn't worth having to retake the class because the teacher didn't agree. Just my two cents, I feel like I may have rambled and didn't make my point as clear as I had hoped too, sorry haha.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
If left unmanaged, a person's ego will drive them to try and convince another that the other is mistaken. Regardless of the cost.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.