The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Forums Wasting your time?

piranha526

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
I though this was a great topic on a blog I read about forums.

Are Forums Wasting your time?
by Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson's Web Publishing Blog:

http://www.webpublishingblog.com/are-forums-wasting-your-time.htm
September 10, 2007

Forums can be a major pain. Forums are addictive, drain enormous amounts of time, and are overflowing with people who don’t know what they are talking about. In some cases, they have devolved into adolescent chat rooms. (I was just reminded of that this weekend when I banned the same troll twice a day from one of the forums I own.)

On the other hand, forums are, hands down, the best place online to discover and share new ideas. No forums, and today I would be an employee. All of my inspiration, ideas, and initial direction in online business came from forums.

The experience of forum use is like searching for gold. Once every few months you’ll hit the jackpot and discover an incredibly valuable piece of information or a business contact. This reward system creates an addictive situation similar to gambling. Rather than money, you exchanged your time. (its worth noting any type of digital or printed medium can do this to you.)

As with any activity, how do you practice consumption with moderation? What is the line past which you are wasting your time?

It is in your best interest to be able to recognize and remember who is posting (so you can judge their credibility based on past posts.) Just the same, it is important for others to recognize and identify you so they can properly associate your advice with your identity (that presumes you give good advice.) For these reasons I have preferred to stick to smaller forums like Websitepublisher.net rather than frequent the big ones such as Sitepoint, Digitalpoint, and Webmasterworld.

So just how do you extract maximum benefit while minimizing wasted time?

Here are a few things I (try to) do:

1. Identify people that consistently give good advice. Bookmark a link to “Find all posts by X userâ€

2. Read thread titles as fast as possible by clicking on “New Posts.†Its surprisingly easily to keep up with even the most busy forums this way.

3. Skip over off topic posts.

4. Resist the urge to contribute unless you have something that will be valuable to readers — and when you do, keep it to a minimum. It is (generally) in your interest to post the best and most concise information to your own blog.

5. Completely ignore, or even block, idiots. Don’t even waste your time acknowledging their existence with a flame.

6. Read no more than one forum daily. Everything else should be no more than once a week, or less. If you are coming back twice or more in one day, its time to book a long trip to the Caribbean.

This is all common sense stuff. You don’t really have to read & post on forums. I have been scaling back my forum activity along with blog posting. Heck, I might even take a forum vacation one of these months.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Somebody knows a good travelers forum so I can book a long trip to the Caribbean?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
As my 4th time on this forum before 1pm. I guess I'm an addict. How can you not be with the absolute wealth of information. I can't soak up enough of the excellent tips that have been provided. I am forum junky and damn proud of it!

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I only belong to 4 forums and I only regularly go to this one, I learn so much here and get so much good input the time is well spent. Two of the other forums I belong to have email list delivery and they are both industry based, scan the mails open only what looks interesting & delete the rest time daily; less than 10 minutes, advantages gained, immeasurable

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't think that Mr. Johnson was considering this new forum in his ideas. If he had, then he would recommend it I'm sure.

"Mr. Johnson" is ANDREW on this forum! He was kind enough to post a blog entry about this forum.

As for Andrew's blog post, I have to agree for the most part. I curtailed my forum participation in things that aren't that important. The forums I hit now are mostly for educational purposes -- I've learned so much from forums that they should be an integral part of your educational process, as well as your networking sphere.

Conversely, other forums can be detrimental to your productivity. I used to spend HOURS at the various car forums arguing and debating bullshit like "my car is faster than yours" and other nonsense that I had to step back and take a break. I still visit often, but typical topics that I normally would engage in, I don't.

Remember, time is a finite asset and cannot be reproduced -- money is.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
I am forum junky and damn proud of it!

Roger that! I too find good forums to be virtual classrooms. So, I'd be a fool to let valuable and vital information slip away.

:driving:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have made some great connections from my participation on these internet forums. I am here for business reasons as well as social.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
That's good stuff there, and I'm glad to see the perspective....something I'm sorely lacking most of the time. I quit myself off of several forums over the past couple months, and I'm glad I did. Focus, focus, focus. And maybe Ritalin.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
I have cutdown quite a bit as well however the networking alone on a forum makes spending time on there worth it. Even the Offtopic forums.

I now have some good friends in real life that I have met from b.s'ing on various car forums.

There are forums like this one however where I would not post idiotic comments...well maybe not until I get my post count up there :)

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
I don't think that Mr. Johnson was considering this new forum in his ideas. If he had, then he would recommend it I'm sure.

Re-read the second paragraph, the point of that post was far from "forums suck." Rather, that use needs to be disciplined. You need to justify your consumption and participation with reality.

A-GAME

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 23, 2007
Australia
As my 4th time on this forum before 1pm. I guess I'm an addict. How can you not be with the absolute wealth of information. I can't soak up enough of the excellent tips that have been provided. I am forum junky and damn proud of it!

amen to that!! oh wait...do i believe in god?? :rolleyes:

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Andrew posted a great entry. I find that some topics/discussions are good. But it is too easy to waste time on some topics when the real money can be made doing your business - finding contacts, researching stocks, contacting banks or other investors, coming up with your own plan, locating your next investment, etc. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe this post will get some people to practice doing something.

Tom

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
tchandy said:
I find that some topics/discussions are good. But it is too easy to waste time when the real money can be made doing your business. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe this post will get some people to practice doing something.

Tom-

Did you mean Andrew's post, or yours?

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Tom-

I actually wrote a really nasty response to your post, and then realized that I might have misread it :blush: (so I changed my post to the question).

I'm glad I did!!! :)

-Russ H.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Russ,
I think with email and message forums it is easy to miscommunicate when typing. Sometimes what is in one's mind doesn't come out when typing. After a while some people may get lazy and nopt even review what they typed. I am guilty of that too many times and working to proofread my writing.
Tom

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.